Jump to content
Sjustus548

Changes to Screamers

Recommended Posts

Over the years of playing I've seen the Screamers nerfed repeatedly until their current state which is just pathetic.  I would like to see them returned to their formal glory as something to be worried about instead of something I only need to kill so I can stop hearing that sound over and over.  I think this can be achieved by making a couple changes to her mechanics.  

 

1. Have her summon zombies without having to see the player.  She is summoned when the heat level of a chunk reaches a certain level.  After she is summoned to a chunk she will search for the player.  If the heat rises a certain amount while she is in the chunk she will scream and summon zombies to the area.  Every time the heat rises a certain amount while she is in that chunk she will scream and it will summon an increasing amount of zombies.  Kind of like how the infection gets worse the longer the player puts off dealing with it, the Screamer situation will continue to grow worse.  So if she isn't taken care of then the player could find themselves with a massive horde to contend with.  There could be a max amount of heat and once the area reaches it all the zombies will focus in on the players blood moon style.  

 

2. Now you may be thinking that this first change would revert why she was nerfed in the first place.  Players would be able to just keep her alive and farm all the xp from these summoned zombies.  To counteract that scenario I think she should summon her own variety of zombie.  They can be called "Screamer's Minions" or something along those lines.  These summoned zombies would provide 0xp and have a 0% chance to drop loot when killed.  At certain tiers of heat the Screamer could call in different forms of these minions.  First could be like a regular zombie while the next could be a zombie more suited to destroy blocks.  Gamestage would affect whether they were feral or radiated though.  

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently you do not do much mining. Especially not with the auger.

After 2-3 minutes of mining iron with the auger i have a screamer in my mine and on my gamestage she summons feral and radioactive zombies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Apparently you do not do much mining. Especially not with the auger.

After 2-3 minutes of mining iron with the auger i have a screamer in my mine and on my gamestage she summons feral and radioactive zombies.

 

I do a ton of mining with only the auger and don't mind the Screamers that show up.  I mean I have to stop mining for like 3 seconds so that does cost me some materials but it's a nice break every so often.  We also get ferals and radioactive zombies from the screams but once you deal with a large number of them during horde night two or three of them barely get noticed anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

I do a ton of mining with only the auger and don't mind the Screamers that show up.  I mean I have to stop mining for like 3 seconds so that does cost me some materials but it's a nice break every so often.  We also get ferals and radioactive zombies from the screams but once you deal with a large number of them during horde night two or three of them barely get noticed anymore.

For me it is just annoying. If I mine I want to mine and not kill zombies.

 

I even have my crafting base on the bedrock so I don't have to deal with those annoying screamers and their hordes all the time. So hopefully you can understand why I don't like your suggestion.

 

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well seems you got lucky so far when mining @Sjustus548 The last few times i mined with the auger, they screamed without seeing me (small entrance to the mine, only one block), always calling in 2 or 3 feral screamers who also screamed instantly. When i came out of the mine, there were already like 50 zombies. Can´t mine with the auger longer than a few minutes, without the next screamer showing up wich again will call a bunch of new screamers. I gave up on the auger. I am actually faster when using the iron pickaxe because i don´t get disturbed.

 

What difficulty are you playing on?

 

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
  • Sympathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well seems you got lucky so far when mining @Sjustus548 The last few times i mined with the auger, they screamed without seeing me (small entrance to the mine, only one block), always calling in 2 or 3 feral screamers who also screamed instantly. When i came out of the mine, there were already like 50 zombies. Can´t mine with the auger longer than a few minutes, without the next screamer showing up wich again will call a bunch of new screamers. I gave up on the auger. I am actually faster when using the iron pickaxe because i don´t get disturbed.

 

What difficulty are you playing on?

 

When screamers are spawned they are actually locked onto a heat source and will ignore the player as they try to get to the heat sources location. Once they get into sight range of the location they will scream regardless of the player being around. However if on the way to their target they see the player they will lock on to them instead and scream.

 

So in your case the screamer was locked onto a heat event/source toward the top of your mine and found it before finding you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well seems you got lucky so far when mining @Sjustus548 The last few times i mined with the auger, they screamed without seeing me (small entrance to the mine, only one block), always calling in 2 or 3 feral screamers who also screamed instantly. When i came out of the mine, there were already like 50 zombies. Can´t mine with the auger longer than a few minutes, without the next screamer showing up wich again will call a bunch of new screamers. I gave up on the auger. I am actually faster when using the iron pickaxe because i don´t get disturbed.

 

What difficulty are you playing on?

 

That sounds awesome.  I wish I could experience something like that.  Are you using mods or something to increase the spawns?  I'm playing on Insane difficulty.  Currently on day 145 with a gamestage of 216.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Danidas That only happens when mining. I can stand in our base right next to the 6 forges and 6 chemstations  with only a wall between me and the screamer and they will not scream until they see me and they are way closer to the heat source than when i am mining. Tested that after they screamed without seeing me while mining.

 

@Sjustus548 Hmm, nope no mods. Also one difficulty lower than you. Might be because of MP with 3-4 players maybe? I suppose you already tried to not kill the screamer to see if they call in more screamers? We did that in A18 to get a nice big horde.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hu? I've never seen a screamer while mining with an auger. Imho screamers spawn way less. Even around our base with forges, camp fires, cement mixers, workbenches and chem stations running they only occur rarely. With similar setups in older versions i had a screamer spawn like every 5 minutes. We even thought about having a bug here, because they are so rarely...

And they don't scream if they don't see a player, so usually you don't even need to handle them, because they just walk towards the base and die in our spikes.

 

To make them more interesting, maybe they should not (only) scream if they see a player, but as soon as they take damage. (which implicitely means, they will always summon until you oneshot them) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Hu? I've never seen a screamer while mining with an auger. Imho screamers spawn way less. Even around our base with forges, camp fires, cement mixers, workbenches and chem stations running they only occur rarely.

How deep is your mine? If you are deeper than 30 blocks below the surface, screamers don't spawn anymore.

I have been using open mines since Alpha 17. Therefore they are of course directly under the surface.

 

I did a full day of mining in my iron and lead mine and in a period of 1 hour  and 25 minutes real-time I got 28 screamers and I killed 140 zombies during this time period according to the log.

 

By the way, it is not the auger that raises the heat but the noise that lead and iron blocks make when they break. Even with a pickaxe the heat rises but with the auger it happens faster.

 

It is strange. I hate screamers and don't want to have any but get many but the people who want to have screamers and screamer hordes seem to get not enough or none at all.
 

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

How deep is your mine? If you are deeper than 30 blocks below the surface, screamers don't spawn anymore.

Haven't especially looked at, but usually far less than 30. I usually look for the surface boulders and then just follow the ore, not necessarily going deep.

I've had wandering hordes and they came into the mine because they heared me, but still no screamer spawns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

How deep is your mine? If you are deeper than 30 blocks below the surface, screamers don't spawn anymore.

 

 

I am one of those who love screamers and one thing I do not like is that they won't spawn when it is deeper than 30 blocks. In A15, I am not sure how they acted and if it was a bug I experienced. But some how a screamer came into my mine that was close to bedrock. Was a really long hole the screamer had dug and dropped in to the base that was about 17 blocks below surface, then it ran down through all stairs and down to me. This was in A15 with no mods what so ever. I was really surprised and shocked, but I  loved it. ^^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Hmm, nope no mods. Also one difficulty lower than you. Might be because of MP with 3-4 players maybe? I suppose you already tried to not kill the screamer to see if they call in more screamers? We did that in A18 to get a nice big horde.

We have 4 players as well.  We've tried to get them to spawn in more zombies so we could play around a bit but she'll call in the first three or so zombies and then it seems like she goes in to cooldown because she won't scream again.  We've tried running around with her for 10+ minutes, real time, and no other zombies were called and we've never been lucky enough to have another Screamer get called.  I don't know if I'm just have insanely good luck or if you are having insanely bad luck lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Danidas said:

Once they get into sight range of the location they will scream regardless of the player being around.

I dont think this is correct.   My mine is a pretty large open quarry and when I hear a screamer, I move out of sight and I watch the screamer walk to where I was and just sort of hang out there doing nothing.   She doesn't actually start screaming unless she sees me.

 

I also get 15-20 screamers a day while mining.    I also agree that they are not a threat, but an annoyance.   I would love to see them be a threat again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 4:18 PM, Psychodabble said:

Weird how inconsistent the experiences with screamers are...

Yeah it is.  Some people barely see them and others are overrun.  I wonder why we are seeing such drastic differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

Yeah it is.  Some people barely see them and others are overrun.  I wonder why we are seeing such drastic differences.

Because not everyone plays in the same way.

 

For example, someone who has 10 forges running will see a lot more screamers than someone who has only one or two forges running.

And someone who spends a whole day in an iron mine will of course see more screamers than someone who does not spend more than 5 minutes in the mine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Because not everyone plays in the same way.

 

For example, someone who has 10 forges running will see a lot more screamers than someone who has only one or two forges running.

And someone who spends a whole day in an iron mine will of course see more screamers than someone who does not spend more than 5 minutes in the mine.

 

Does crouching/sneaking affect heat generation from actions? If it does another possible variable between the experiences could be that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Does crouching/sneaking affect heat generation from actions? If it does another possible variable between the experiences could be that.

As far as I know crouching does not affect the heat generation from actions.

 

But there is a difference between the different types of resources. Heat rises much faster when you mine iron or lead. If you mine for example nitrate or coal you barely see a screamer.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

As far as I know crouching does not affect the heat generation from actions.

 

But there is a difference between the different types of resources. Heat rises much faster when you mine iron or lead. If you mine for example nitrate or coal you barely see a screamer.

I wonder when the heat is generated.... when the block is broken or on each hit.   If its each hit, that would explain why I seem to get far more screamers using an auger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kalen said:

I wonder when the heat is generated.... when the block is broken or on each hit.   If its each hit, that would explain why I seem to get far more screamers using an auger.

Iirc it is on each hit. I forget where I saw it though, is there a journal entry or loading screen tool tip about the activity map (aka heat map)?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hiemfire said:

Iirc it is on each hit. I forget where I saw it though, is there a journal entry or loading screen tool tip about the activity map (aka heat map)?

That definitely makes sense based on my observations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they could just make it so she screams when you are actually in line of sight, and not just detected, they could probably comfortably beef up what happens when she screams.
I don't mind that she spawns due to mining, but her screaming and summoning zombies on the surface while you are underground just isn't a great mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AtomicUs5000 said:

If they could just make it so she screams when you are actually in line of sight, and not just detected, they could probably comfortably beef up what happens when she screams.
I don't mind that she spawns due to mining, but her screaming and summoning zombies on the surface while you are underground just isn't a great mechanic.

I dont think I've ever had a screamer scream without seeing me.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 5:59 AM, Liesel Weppen said:

Hu? I've never seen a screamer while mining with an auger. Imho screamers spawn way less. Even around our base with forges, camp fires, cement mixers, workbenches and chem stations running they only occur rarely.

How often would you actually auger in the same chunk? If you made a tunnel with an auger, that heat gets spread out among the chunks you pass through. Once your base is established with other heat-generating things, you probably already mined all you can in those chunks, so why would that even cause screamer spawns? You need to mine with the auger enough in one chunk (16 x 16 area), in other words... it definitely will spawn screamers.
 

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...