How do I add crafting quality to a crossbow?

xxx73

Im trying to resurrecting an old crossbow from A14.15 but I have problem getting higher crafting quality than 1.
First of all this is not my crossbow but I cant find the creator, anyway its only for personal use.
If I use creative mod I can get the crossbow in any quality, but when I craft I get only quality 1.

I tried the following:
Adding proper CraftingSkillGroup
Added the crossbow to current crafting skill in progression.
I added DisplayType, tage, made sure all <effect_group name="Base Effects" and passive effects is to to date.

So again, how do I add crafting quality to a crossbow?

Is it a new model of a crossbow? If so, perhaps you could simply copy the current vanilla crossbow code and just replace its model with the old one you wanted? Well, that would most likely be the easiest and fastest solution. You know, using the original code may not be a good idea anyway, because a lot of stuff has changed since then.

Ok yeah, I have already copied a lot from vanilla code due to many changes, so not much left anyway. Its just a basic vanilla model for iron crossbow.
I try to just copy everything and go from there, thanks for the suggestion :)
I can also use extend.

I still wonder what setting/attribute that give crafting quality, I thought it was
CraftingSkillGroup.

3 minutes ago, xxx73 said:

Ok yeah, I have already copied a lot from vanilla code due to many changes, so not much left anyway. Its just a basic vanilla model for iron crossbow.
I try to just copy everything and go from there, thanks for the suggestion :)

You're welcome. Come back if something doesn't work as expected. I was recently working on a revolver as a quest reward. It's a customized revolver with pre-attached mods. It's a real fun to work with weapons, but it also gives you a lot of new stuff to learn that might be useful later in bigger projects, especially knowing how to set up the properties of the weapon. Fun fact, you were trying to make a crossbow that would have higher than Q1 and I was trying to code this revolver to always be Q1 - to balance the item, because you would get it early in the game and stick with it for a while since you start in the "stone age". ;)

12 minutes ago, xxx73 said:

hehe always Q1, I try to get higher quality as fast as possible to add more weapon mods, but ofc always start at Q1

Yeah, well when I think about the loot, it got a little bit better than it was in the first iteration of A19, but it's not as OP as it used to be in Alphas before. I mean, sure you could get super Q6 weapons by the end of the week or two, but what then? Would you still feel motivated to keep playing? This stone age feels a bit more balanced now than it was, so I'm getting used to it and not really complaining. Still a real gun early, even if it's Q1 certainly doesn't hurt. :)

I agree, we play for the content of the game, if we get handed all the best content early in game I see no point going on, so I enjoy the build up phase best, when I have everything not much reason to proceed. And I this is a challenge with this game, to keep endgame interesting.

About my crossbow, I just copied iron crossbow, changed a few stats, even added same unlockby, and did not remove any setting, only added custom icon, but still only give quality 1. Very funny crossbow I have to say.

Also tried copy everything and only changing name, still quality 1.

Update: Its working now, it was nothing wrong with the code, but when I changed the recipe to be crafted in workbench it worked.
Totally beyond my understanding that workstation influenced crafting quality.

24 minutes ago, xxx73 said:

I agree, we play for the content of the game, if we get handed all the best content early in game I see no point going on, so I enjoy the build up phase best, when I have everything not much reason to proceed. And I this is a challenge with this game, to keep endgame interesting.

About my crossbow, I just copied iron crossbow, changed a few stats, even added same unlockby, and did not remove any setting, only added custom icon, but still only give quality 1. Very funny crossbow I have to say.

Also tried copy everything and only changing name, still quality 1.

Hmm, interesting. Could you show me the code of this peculiar crossbow? Also in which situations exactly would you expect to see a higher quality than level 1, but not getting it?

Update: Its working now, it was nothing wrong with the code, but when I changed the recipe to be crafted in workbench it worked.
Totally beyond my understanding that workstation influenced crafting quality.  It was set to a workstation I use for crafting guns. For some reason that could not be used to craft crossbow.

That's still weird though. I mean, the quality of this particular weapon should be affected by perkArchery in progression.xml, that should work regardless of where you actually craft it. If you have perkArchery in the tags of this crossbow in items.xml as well as in the recipes.xml, it should let you craft a higher quality when you level up archery. If it doesn't, chances are that something else is broken.

Yeah I thought so also, but hey I used same code as iron crossbow, only changed name to test what happens, and still it did not work. So then I asked what else is different and I see that the recipe was crafted in different stations. I have no clue why this or how it is working, but Im done :D

The more I try to understand the settings, the more confused I get :D

2 minutes ago, xxx73 said:

Yeah I thought so also, but hey I used same code as iron crossbow, only changed name to test what happens, and still it did not work. So then I asked what else is different and I see that the recipe was crafted in different stations. I have no clue why this or how it is working, but Im done :D

The more I try to understand the settings, the more confused I get :D

If you're using a custom crafting workstation for this, you may want to replace that in the recipe too like so:

<recipe name="gunBowT1IronCrossbow" count="1" craft_area="customCraftingWorkstation" tags="learnable,perkArchery">
    <ingredient name="gunBowT1WoodenBowParts" count="4"/>
    <ingredient name="resourceForgedIron" count="15"/>
    <ingredient name="resourceDuctTape" count="3"/>
    <ingredient name="resourceLeather" count="3"/>
    <ingredient name="resourceWood" count="20"/>
    <effect_group>
        <passive_effect name="CraftingIngredientCount" level="2,6" operation="perc_add" value=".5,2.5" tags="gunBowT1WoodenBowParts,resourceForgedIron,resourceDuctTape,resourceLeather,resourceWood"/>
    </effect_group>
</recipe>

This is just the original code with only one change:

craft_area="customCraftingWorkstation"

In fact, you could just remove the whole craft_area to make it so that it would be craftable anywhere. Also, see the

tags="learnable,perkArchery"

? That's where it's connected with the perk Archery which will define the quality of the crafted weapon.

Ok nice, I did not know this, I thought to connection to perk archery was in items tags or CraftingSkillGroup setting, but I see some weapons/guns that dont use CraftingSkillGroup. Good to know I can add that in the recipe.

42 minutes ago, xxx73 said:

Ok nice, I did not know this, I thought to connection to perk archery was in items tags or CraftingSkillGroup setting, but I see some weapons/guns that dont use CraftingSkillGroup. Good to know I can add that in the recipe.

Well, the item itself does have perkArchery among its tags as well, I just don't think that's really what governs the quality of the item when you craft it, I guess it's there because as a player, you also want to be able to handle the weapon better as you level up the skill that governs it, right? So that tag is in the item itself to make sure the player will handle the weapon better as they level up Archery. In general, working with these values is a lot of guess work and unfortunately, there isn't any real guide book which would explain all the connections, so your guess is as good as mine, it's all just a trial and error. I just know that if you create a new item based on the existing vanilla item, you can't really go wrong as long as you keep the predefined connections like in this case with perkArchery, so you will get some working results fast and you can always experiment with it further once the basic functionality is there and works as expected.

Archived