Can you get materials from creative menu that houses made of in Navezgane?

xXx

So back in 2013-14 you could pick every block and placeable item from the creative menu so when you wanted to nuild houses like that area already on the map or fix destroyed ones you could. But now in 2020 there are more than 2600 blocks and even if I search roof, window, house, pipe, like basic stuff that are houses made of the browser barely helps me. I've spent hours finding materials that are houses made of without success. I'm really this noob or you can't get pre-existing-house materials?

Most of the creative menu blocks are not available to players so it is very hard to fully repair damaged buildings. Instead we have the shape menu that can be accessed from any block that has little square, circle, triangle icon on the lower left corner of its icon. Which said menu has different forms that these blocks can take but naturally the options are quite limited. In the future once the devs update the UI more and optimize the game a bit more than more shapes will become available to players.

The major difference to back in the day is that since alpha 16 the number of core materials for blocks has been reduced and instead the different shapes get painted on. So you won't for example find a clay roof block but instead have a wooden ramp painted with the roof texture. So if you need a specific shape go by materials (wood, brick, flagstone, cobblestone, concrete, Rconcrete, iron, steel) and then use a paintbrush on the block. Also you can use debugmenu+ f3 to find out names of blocks by pointing at one you see in a house. 

I would love for the devs to add in the ability to craft every block in the game.  I don't like having to use the creative menu to give myself items that can't be crafted but I'm going to do it if there is no other way.  I can craft a 4x4 from parts I find laying around the world but the particular angle of wooden block I need is beyond me lol.

26 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

I would love for the devs to add in the ability to craft every block in the game.  I don't like having to use the creative menu to give myself items that can't be crafted but I'm going to do it if there is no other way.  I can craft a 4x4 from parts I find laying around the world but the particular angle of wooden block I need is beyond me lol.

That works fine for all the basic block shapes but not all the decorations since some of them are really high poly like the coffee pots. Which if you place to many in the same place will not only lag your machine but anyone else on a server that is near by. Making it a greifer dream block to wreak havoc with and why it will never be available to players.

For me the shape menus need to all be unified and have all possible block forms added to them. Which is coming when the devs redo the UI and optimize the game a bit more in the future.

3 hours ago, Kam R. said:

The major difference to back in the day is that since alpha 16 the number of core materials for blocks has been reduced and instead the different shapes get painted on. So you won't for example find a clay roof block but instead have a wooden ramp painted with the roof texture. So if you need a specific shape go by materials (wood, brick, flagstone, cobblestone, concrete, Rconcrete, iron, steel) and then use a paintbrush on the block. Also you can use debugmenu+ f3 to find out names of blocks by pointing at one you see in a house. 

I didn't know that! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sjustus548 said:

Yup. Me too!

1 hour ago, Danidas said:

That works fine for all the basic block shapes but not all the decorations since some of them are really high poly like the coffee pots. Which if you place to many in the same place will not only lag your machine but anyone else on a server that is near by. Making it a greifer dream block to wreak havoc with and why it will never be available to players.

For me the shape menus need to all be unified and have all possible block forms added to them. Which is coming when the devs redo the UI and optimize the game a bit more in the future.

It's pretty easy to lag out a server if someone is looking to do that.  You could just plant too many trees in an area and see a massive performance hit to the server so should we remove the ability to plant trees?  Digging too big of a hole can do the same thing or destroying a big building.  I don't really see that as a big enough problem to not let us craft them if we choose to.

10 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

It's pretty easy to lag out a server if someone is looking to do that.  You could just plant too many trees in an area and see a massive performance hit to the server so should we remove the ability to plant trees?  Digging too big of a hole can do the same thing or destroying a big building.  I don't really see that as a big enough problem to not let us craft them if we choose to.

I can agree.

4 hours ago, Kam R. said:

I tried it and while it indeed shows the name of block you can't do much else with that information. Giveself doesn't work with it.

1 hour ago, xXx said:

I tried it and while it indeed shows the name of block you can't do much else with that information. Giveself doesn't work with it.

You have info what you can search for with the search bar in the creative menu at least;] 

2 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

Fully agree but those methods are far easier for the devs/server admins to deal with and spamming high poly fluff items is a lot harder. While also being more to the core of the game as this is not a pretty building game and is instead a post apocalyptic zombie survival game. Due to this the devs stance is if you want pretty use mods or spawn them in via creative. So that only those that want them need to deal with them with out impacting those that do not care for it.

Edit - Giving players more things that they know will badly lag the game is like giving kids razor blades and telling them to not cut themselves. In a perfect world no one will get hurt but in reality it will eventually turn into a blood bath.

2 hours ago, xXx said:

There is another possibility with the developer paint brush.

To get it from the developer menu you have to switch to the tab "dev Blocks on" and then type in "paint brush" and select the pink brush.

Then put the brush in your tool belt and free up a slot on your tool belt. Select the brush and point with the cursor onto the block you need. Then press r and select "Copy Block". A stack of this block should appear in your toolbar.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20201015_212917.thumb.jpg.3bdf754397b7bc490b10c4243d6157e9.jpg

17 hours ago, Kam R. said:

You have info what you can search for with the search bar in the creative menu at least;] 

Yes, and to be clear you can search for a name even if that's not the name you see in the creative menu.  For example searching for "ammo" will bring up all the ammunition types, because behind the scenes what's listed to the player as "Shotgun Shell" is in the xml as "ammoShotgunShell". This applies to blocks too, so don't be discouraged if you've manually searched through the entire creative menu and can't find what the F3 menu says a block is by name.

20 minutes ago, Kam R. said:

Iirc you can see block ID# with F3 as well. Can't check right now as my pc is out of reach

The copy block with paintbrush is a great way too, didn't even think of that one. 

4 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Yes, and to be clear you can search for a name even if that's not the name you see in the creative menu.  For example searching for "ammo" will bring up all the ammunition types, because behind the scenes what's listed to the player as "Shotgun Shell" is in the xml as "ammoShotgunShell". This applies to blocks too, so don't be discouraged if you've manually searched through the entire creative menu and can't find what the F3 menu says a block is by name.

21 hours ago, RipClaw said:

There is another possibility with the developer paint brush.

To get it from the developer menu you have to switch to the tab "dev Blocks on" and then type in "paint brush" and select the pink brush.

Then put the brush in your tool belt and free up a slot on your tool belt. Select the brush and point with the cursor onto the block you need. Then press r and select "Copy Block". A stack of this block should appear in your toolbar.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20201015_212917.thumb.jpg.3bdf754397b7bc490b10c4243d6157e9.jpg

Thanks for the good ideas. All of you. I'll try!

On 10/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, Danidas said:

While also being more to the core of the game as this is not a pretty building game and is instead a post apocalyptic zombie survival game.

The game is many different things to different people. there's lots of builders who would disagree with your opinion.

12 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

The game is many different things to different people. there's lots of builders who would disagree with your opinion.

I agree and am just repeating the devs stance on it. Personally I would love full access to all blocks no matter what to build what ever I wanted but I also understand the devs point of view and stance on it. So thankfully we have mod support and access to the creative menu to bridge that gap.

Archived