Screamers on Logout

Noobz

I run a dedicated server off my machine for my friends and I to play on.  I've been doing this since around A13.  We just started an A19 game on PREGEN01, and if there is anyone remaining on the server when I log out, screamers will spawn.  If I'm the last one to leave, obviously the server goes into stasis and does not spawn any.  It's happened three nights in a row so far, the first night when a newbie had just joined the game, and he was still level 1.  Fortunately, I was still on discord, and I told him to log out since he was the last player on, and that killed the screamers for us.  First time was 6 screamers, second was 10, third was only 2.

Aside from possibly abusing this for tons of experience, this doesn't seem right, and newer players could find themselves getting their bases overwhelmed.  Has anyone else encountered this?

Screamers are not based on level or game stage or care about players unless they see them. Instead they are spawned based on the chunks heat level on the worlds heat map (has nothing to do with how hot it it). When the heat level of a chunk hits the limit and resets to 0 a screamer is spawned that is locked onto a specific heat source or event. Which they will do everything in their power to get to including digging and once they get to it they will scream. Also if the screamer encounters any players a long the way it will switch target to them and scream.

As for adding to the heat level of the chunk on the heat map just about everything a player dose adds to it. Including breaking or placing blocks, running a forge, cement mixer, camp fire, chemistry station, using nonelectrical lights like torches or candles, running generators, etc. Now said heat does dissipate over time naturally but is slow to do so and as said before once it hits a limit it resets to 0 but also spawns a screamer.

In other words what is happening is the chunk your in has too much activity and the screamers are trying to tell you this with their screams.

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you understand.  I can will them into existence by leaving my server.  I could log off, log on, kill the screamers and repeat.  I understand their attraction to heat, but this is something totally different.  It's ONLY when I log off.  In fact, I don't think I've seen a screamer EXCEPT when I log off.

Update on this:  It's not just when I leave.  When anyone leaves, it spawns Screamers on top of the remaining survivors.  There's only about six of us playing.  It must be that the heat is divvied up amongst the survivors, and then when someone leaves, it recalculates the heat amongst the remaining players.  Since we have so few players, the recalculation is drastic.

For example (pardon my made up numbers):  Let's say 100 heat attracts a Screamer.  If the total heat on the map was 540, but there were 6 players, that's only 90 heat per player.  As soon as a player leaves, 540/5=>108, suddenly screamers.  This is total guesswork, but at this point, I'm just confused as to why we're always spawning screamers when people log out now.

Archived