Character reset bug

Lesdeth

1 minute ago, Lesdeth said:

I totally have to do that with every game I own that has been in "early access" since 2013... Oh wait...

Look, you can do what you want obviously but I back up ALL my data on PC. Not just game saves. It's just generally a good idea to have a backup of ANYTHING that matters to you. Even if the game doesn't mess up your own PC can.... Back it up. Period.

23 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Look, you can do what you want obviously but I back up ALL my data on PC. Not just game saves. It's just generally a good idea to have a backup of ANYTHING that matters to you. Even if the game doesn't mess up your own PC can.... Back it up. Period.

Considering I have been gaming for around 25 years and have never had an issue where I "needed" to back up game files, even with all of the early access titles I have played, then I would conclude that it is the game that is the problem and not merely a "save all files regularly" issue. I did a search on this problem and it has been around since the inception of the game. In 7 years they couldn't have fixed this?

55 minutes ago, Lesdeth said:

Considering I have been gaming for around 25 years and have never had an issue where I "needed" to back up game files, even with all of the early access titles I have played, then I would conclude that it is the game that is the problem and not merely a "save all files regularly" issue. I did a search on this problem and it has been around since the inception of the game. In 7 years they couldn't have fixed this?

And in the years that I've owned the game, I've never had a character reset before.

53 minutes ago, Hellsmoke said:

Hopefully you get a conversation with the mods about your passive aggressive behavior on these forums over the years..

Yep, passive aggressive post got a passive aggressive response.

2 hours ago, Lesdeth said:

How many years you've been gaming? really think that's necessary info? In case you think it's relevant I'll just lay a tidbit on ya. You started gaming when I was 31. I'd say I have you beat on gaming years. And no, it doesn't mean a thing. You'd think in 25 years of owning a PC you'd have learned the basic rule. Always back up your files.

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

How many years you've been gaming? really think that's necessary info? In case you think it's relevant I'll just lay a tidbit on ya. You started gaming when I was 31. I'd say I have you beat on gaming years. And no, it doesn't mean a thing. You'd think in 25 years of owning a PC you'd have learned the basic rule. Always back up your files.

There was nothing passive aggressive in his original post until you decided to come and play the grumpy old dog who knows it all as usual. I'll leave it there though out of respect for the Pimps otherwise I'd have a lot more to say to the issue but that would be exactly what you are looking for, a fight. One would think at your age and gaming experience you'd be a bit more tolerant towards people who experience problems with a game and come to the forum to vent, we all have done it.

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

What do you not understand about my post? I really have never had to back anything up with any games I have ever played, except this one, and that is 25 years worth of games... I don't really care how old you are? You certainly have a white knight issue going on mate. Blame the player for the game's faulty system...

12 hours ago, Lesdeth said:

I really have never had to back anything up with any games I have ever played, except this one, and that is 25 years worth of games...

In that case, you seem to love living on the risky side. There's so much that can mess up your savegames, from hardware failure, anitvirus tool going havoc, up to a system crash just whille writing in the files, the list is nearly endless. Having a backup (and verify its correct) is the first, second and third rule I did teach my clients whe I was IT-supporter.

And by the way, i know some other games where backing up saves was highly recommended, KSP for example even made it a matra.

Regards

Tantalus

2 hours ago, Tantalus11 said:

In that case, you seem to love living on the risky side. There's so much that can mess up your savegames, from hardware failure, anitvirus tool going havoc, up to a system crash just whille writing in the files, the list is nearly endless. Having a backup (and verify its correct) is the first, second and third rule I did teach my clients whe I was IT-supporter.

And by the way, i know some other games where backing up saves was highly recommended, KSP for example even made it a matra.

Regards

Tantalus

The backup question is, like any "insurance" a question how often a loss of any sort happens, how serious it is for you and how much it costs you to insure yourself against it. For a typical player and most games the maximum damage is low (unlike the case of a company loosing all its financial files for example). Also the chance of loss is relatively low when you have multiple saves and unlike 20 years ago harddisks seldom fail.

On the other hand the "insurance cost" is also small, with a backup program, usb-stick and a few minutes of work everyone should be able to automate this.

7D2D is in EA, which is a big big sign: Don't expect it to work flawlessly.

Apart from that there is a risk factor players don't know about: The game needs to update its savegame continually as most actions change the world. Hit a block with an axe and it has to be recorded in your savegame. Loot a box and it has to be recorded. So writing to the save game does not happen once every dozen minutes or more, it happens all the time, multiplying the chance for a crash of the game or PC to damage it.

TFP did not invest much into save game redundancy, a few files have a .bak file that can be restored if the original file is damaged, but that only helps sometimes. Redundancy would likely cost performance and that is a scarce commoditiy. But on the other hand the game has console commands to easily lift a character back to level 61 and get back everything lost in a matter of minutes. A lost base you built for x hours would be a real loss, a reset to level 1 is not.

In before "tired of EA being used as an excuse". Seriously though, things changing and possibly getting totally borked are to be expected during EA. Even finished releases that are "ready for launch" have all kinds of bugs even though we are told "it just works". 

19 hours ago, Hellsmoke said:

There was nothing passive aggressive in his original post

So my using the exact same phrase  is passive aggressive but his wasn't? Seems more a reader bias than a fact to me. Shrug.

"Gotta love it when your dead is dead character at day 61 got reset to level 1 with tutorial on stable."

"Gotta love it when people don't back up saves. Hopefully it never happens to you again now. "

In BOTH the "passive aggressive" part is the "Gotta love it"....... identical. Purposefully identical. There was a reason I used his own wording in my response. I also intended  to teach him to backup and save himself the heartache. As for "looking for a fight" - I'd say that was more on him for actually arguing against the one thing that HE can do to prevent the issue in the future. Not only on this game but on every game AND on every other file in his system. It boggles my brain that someone would argue against creating a backup for any information you consider important. Then of course you have to step in and go completely off topic and just concentrate on attacking me personally. Hmm, seems to be a forum rule about that somewhere?

Lesdeth, have you tried going into your saves and looking for a .ttp.bak file? That's a backup of your character file. You could try and copy it over the other character  file (the one ending in .ttp) and load your save - it might save your character. It did for me after a power failure at home and I managed to load up my char roughly 5 minutes before disaster struck.

Hope this has some positive effects for you. Good luck!

Their implementation of the .bak file is awful.

If for example like it's done for me a bunch of times in A19,

Character suddenly behaves oddly, can't interact/slow interact and reconnect to server.

Then the game loads the game with the corrupt player file, and has already overwritten the .bak file with the currupt data as soon as player is spawned.

If one does not immidiatly understand it's a playerfile thats been wrecked and restarts, (like it needs to do for many bugs) the character is screwed

Having the game make a bak file and a bk2 file (or something) and alternating on writing them on startup, it would be a nonissue since it writes the backupfile on player start.

Archived