Share your PC/Laptop specs and what kind of framerates you're getting.

AlphaOmega

I haven't really tested this yet so I'll update with more accurate info later. Please post your PC/Laptop specs including CPU, GPU, RAM, Refresh rate of your monitor, SSD/HDD, as well as any other pertinent info like overclocking specs, undervolting specs, throttlestop settings, if you have liquid cooling, laptop cooling pad, or whatever else you'd like to share. Then post what graphics settings you use in the game. Then post min/avg/max FPS you get while playing. Bonus points for CPU/GPU/RAM utilization and what temps your CPU and GPU are seeing. I think sharing our performance benchmarks would help the player base as well as the devs, to see real world performance results from people using a variety of systems.

System Specs:

PC or Laptop?: Laptop

Make and Model: Dell G7 17-7700

CPU: Intel i9-10885 8 core

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (non-Max Q)

RAM: 32GB 2933mhz DDR4

Storage: 1TB SSD

Monitor: 17.3" 300hz 300nits 1080p

Overclocking: N/A

Undervolting: N/A

Throttlestop: I typically limit CPU Turbo Frequency to around 3.6-3.8ghz

Cooling: I use this on my bed but have a piece of 3/4" thick foam insulation board that my laptop sits on to help cooling by allowing a little elevation for airflow, rather than letting it smother on soft blankets. No cooling pad or extra fans though.

Graphics Settings:

---Display---

Resolution: 1920x1080

Fullscreen: Yes

Dynamic Resolution Mode: Off

Dynamic Resolution Min FPS: N/A

Dynamic Resolution Scale: N/A

Vsync: Off

Brightness: 60%

Field of View: 85

---Quality---

Quality Preset: Custom

Anti-Aliasing: Ultra

Texture Quality: Full

Texture Filter: Ultra+

UMA Texture Quality: High

Reflection Quality: Ultra+

Reflected Shadows: On

Shadows Distance: Far

Water Quality: High

Particles: 100%

View Distance: High

LOD Distance: 100%

Terrain Quality: Ultra

Grass Distance: High

Object Quality: Ultra

Occlusion: Off

Bloom: On

Depth of Field: Off

Motion Blur: Off

SSAO: On

SS Reflections: High

Sun Shafts: On

Performance Benchmarks:

EDIT: For now, these are rough estimates. Not all data is based on precise logs, some is just my observations in a brief 20 minute test tonight. Will update with much better data when I get more time.

FPS (Min/Avg/Max): 35/65/80+

CPU Utilization % (Min/Avg/Max):  20/34/50?

RAM Utilization % (Min/Avg/Max): Avg of about 12-14gb or 37%-44%

GPU Utilization % (Min/Avg/Max): 2/34/100

CPU Temperature in Celsius (Min/Avg/Max): 36/69/93

GPU Temperature in Celsius  (Min/Avg/Max): 34/64/81

12 minutes ago, Vampirenostra said:

Yes you're laptop is doing great you naughty braggart)))

It's really not though, at least not as well as I hoped it would. No bragging here. I'll go ahead and update my performance benchmarks with rough estimates for now to show you what I'm talking about, but will do some precise testing tomorrow when I get more time.

Get rid of reflections and see your system make a leap in fps, they are still not optimised. There is a huge number of threads on this forum about "metal vs fps" I guess if TFP devs/testers want they already collected a fierce variety of metal/settings/fps statistics, I would say more, they've could have included the reports in to the game so it sends some info once a while to their db and they can do some analysis.

Just fine-tune your video settings to something adequate to your fps expectations and enjoy. Any trouble - search the General Support section or create a thread there, there are always people willing to help you solve your issues, unless you're one of those "hey this game sucks, it is not optimised at all, I can run any game 4k super-duper-ultra but not this one, I do not know why I payed money for this junk" people.

And yes if you're the one that could do some research on the performance and can bind your results to some code or technology used in the game, guess devs and testers would be pleased to have your results and maybe even do some changes to make the overall performance better.

I custom-build my main rigs.

CPU: Core i7-6950X (3.0GHz ~ 3.5GHz)

RAM: 128GB DDR4 PC-3200 (25,600)

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Video: RTX 2080 Ti 11GB

Audio: Creative Ae5

OS HDD: SATA 6Gbps WD Blue 1TB multi-platter

RAID: 4 x 1TB Black single-platter disks in RAID10 via BTRFS filesystem

Newest Games Disk: M.2 NVME 2280 1TB SSD (tests around 3,400~3,500 MB/s)

Monitor: Dell S2417DG 24" 2K (2560x1440@144Hz) G-Sync monitor (I play all games in 2560x1440)

I have everything maxed except motion blur since that makes me nauseous if turned up too high. I peg the game out at 60fps everywhere. I have vertical sync on. Unity will not set the refresh rate to anything above 60Hz as some stuff is hard-coded. In games like Ark: Survival Evolved or Ground Branch, I get 120-144fps. I could probably peg 7 Days out at 144 if the Unity engine allowed it. There is a great discussion on why Unity locks you at 60fps (turning off v-sync and claiming you get 900fps is horse-crap, there are no 900Hz monitors) due to some internal mechanics out there and why, if you force Unity above a 60Hz refresh rate odd things can happen. I will locate the info if anybody is interested.

Either way I have no issues. 7 Days and Ark are on my SSD so loading chunks is cake. Oh, and terrain quality makes a very visible difference on my end. I keep mine maxed.

Ryzen 2700
32 GB of 3000 MHz RAM

NVMe M.2 SSD
Vega 64
Linux Ubuntu 18
OpenGL

Monitor 1440p @ 144Hz

Most settings on standard High but all effects turned off and LOD turned down a fair bit.

54-85 FPS depending on what I am looking at and how complex the environment is around me.

I did some more testing today. Everything the same as my OP, but this time I just went with Ultra Preset for all graphics, and disabled all the bottom right extra settings like Bloom, SSAO, Motion blur, etc...

This time around I got the following results...

FPS (Min/Avg/Max): 60/80/100+

CPU Utilization % (Min/Avg/Max):  20/35/41

RAM Utilization % (Min/Avg/Max): Avg of about 12-14gb or 37%-44%

GPU Utilization % (Min/Avg/Max): 2/30/100

CPU Temperature in Celsius (Min/Avg/Max): 34/72/88

GPU Temperature in Celsius  (Min/Avg/Max): 34/68/78

3 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

kinda weirdo... you've got max cpu utilisation of 41%, but max temp for cpu at like 88C... what would happen to your cpu under full load? it will melt?

or maybe it is your cooling system settings?

Diminishing returns. Even running super demanding benchmarks it doesn't really get hotter than that. Just having 8 active cores generates a good amount of heat, no matter if they're at 40% or 100%. But there are lots of redundant protections in place that would throttle it back if temps get too hot.

EDIT: Also, another factor is that during that 41% utilization, the Core0 main core may have very well been at 100%. I forgot about that, sometimes the main core takes a higher load than the others and reaching 100% on one core may have been the cause of that brief 88C max temp.

Yeah, CPU utilisation is often understood wrong. MSI Afterburner can display every core on it´s own. Takes up a lot of space on the screen tough.

There is only very few games who actually use all cores of your CPU evenly. 30-40% usually mean that one core is at 100%.

I really hope that TFP will change that before release. That would have such a huge impact on performance. Nowadays 6 and 8 core CPU´s are wide spread already.

Archived