Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Liesel Weppen

Liesel Weppen

37 minutes ago, Mousebots said:

I see, i dont wanna discuss long then about this, but... why hundreds of games do have this "feature" and why they made the decision here to not add this feature?
If someone really wants to share viruses or illegal content, wouldnt he also be able to do that from a mod site where thousands of people already download theyr mods from?

Just a legal decission. If you download a corrupted mod from a mod site, you do this intentionally and the mod site is the isntance that spreads malware, but not TFP or one of their server.

If you join a random server you don't know what mods it uses, you are not even asked if you want to download and execute them, it just happens automatically. And this can legally become an issue for both TFP and the server owner.

It's also a question of the law of your country. Here in germany e.g. a forums owner can be sued, if anybody posts copyright protected images in his forums. I also heard server owners of trackmania servers have been sued, because their servers had shipped copyright protetcted music to clients. And in this cases it wasn't even harmfull software.

Or how do other games handle this?

They probably decided to just take the risks.

Someone how robbed a bank successfully also just took the risk. But doesn't mean everybody should just rob banks.

And sure there are ways to prevent it. You could sign mods and make the server only allow download of signed mods. As an example. But thats a lot of work, you constantly need to review and sign mods, every update of mods... and of course you need to implement sign checking in both client and server. Definitely nothing you want to do with a game that is in alpha state and maybe not even in beta state.

Liesel Weppen

Liesel Weppen

37 minutes ago, Mousebots said:

I see, i dont wanna discuss long then about this, but... why hundreds of games do have this "feature" and why they made the decision here to not add this feature?
If someone really wants to share viruses or illegal content, wouldnt he also be able to do that from a mod site where thousands of people already download theyr mods from?

Just a legal decission. If you download a corrupted mod from a mod site, you do this intentionally and the mod site is the isntance that spreads malware, but not TFP or one of their server.

If you join a random server you don't know what mods it uses, you are not even asked if you want to download and execute them, it just happens automatically. And this can legally become an issue for both TFP and the server owner.

It's also a question of the law of your country. Here in germany e.g. a forums owner can be sued, if anybody posts copyright protected images in his forums. I also heard server owners of trackmania servers have been sued, because their servers had shipped copyright protetcted music to clients. And in this cases it wasn't even harmfull software.

Someone how robbed a bank successfully also just took the risk. But doesn't mean everybody should just rob banks.

And sure there are ways to prevent it. You could sign mods and make the server only allow download of signed mods. As an example. But thats a lot of work, you constantly need to review and sign mods, every update of mods... and of course you need to implement sign checking in both client and server.

Liesel Weppen

Liesel Weppen

36 minutes ago, Mousebots said:

And sure there are ways to prevent it. You could sign mods and make the server only allow download of signs mods. As an example. But thats a lot of work, you constantly need to review and sign mods, every update of mods... and of course you need to implement sign checking in both client and server.

Liesel Weppen

Liesel Weppen

4 minutes ago, Mousebots said:

4 minutes ago, Mousebots said: