Wolves shouldn't act like zombies

geengaween

On 10/7/2020 at 12:53 AM, AtomicUs5000 said:

It would be pretty cool if when you encounter a normal predatory animal, and you face them while swinging a torch, it has a chance to make them run away. Just a little something to help out the first few days and making more use of the torch you get in a meaningful way.

actually  wolf/cougar/coyote  often run away after few hits regardless of weapon

but yeah wolf should be less aggresive even if its hungry  .. and ai is already implemented ....  cougars dont attack players on sight they usually ignore them 20-30 seconds (just rough guess)  .. it would be great if they made wolves behave same (as well as coyotes)

33 minutes ago, alanea said:

actually  wolf/cougar/coyote  often run away after few hits regardless of weapon

I believe they meant just swing it at the animal, not that you would have to hit it. I'm sure you've seen movies, shows, etc. where people use torches to ward off something by waving it around. I think that is what they are suggesting but I might be mistaken.

34 minutes ago, alanea said:

cougars dont attack players on sight they usually ignore them 20-30 seconds

This has absolutely not been my experience. I have no idea if you are correct and the mountain lions are coded this way, just sharing that's it is definitely not working as intended on my end if so. They normally aggro me instantly on foot and start bouncing around like someone just injected catnip straight into their brain. Sometimes those mofos are even jumping out of the trees as we drive by in the truck. That said, some sort of timer on aggro seems like it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

25 minutes ago, BubbaJoe said:

I believe they meant just swing it at the animal, not that you would have to hit it. I'm sure you've seen movies, shows, etc. where people use torches to ward off something by waving it around. I think that is what they are suggesting but I might be mistaken.

oh ... sounds fine ... or simply run away from player holding torch

25 minutes ago, BubbaJoe said:

This has absolutely not been my experience. I have no idea if you are correct and the mountain lions are coded this way, just sharing that's it is definitely not working as intended on my end if so. They normally aggro me instantly on foot and start bouncing around like someone just injected catnip straight into their brain. Sometimes those mofos are even jumping out of the trees as we drive by in the truck. That said, some sort of timer on aggro seems like it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

hmm i dont even avoid cougars in snow biome ... actually one  constantly spawns   right in front of trader gate ... i can drive next to it dismout .. run in ... trade run out ger on moto and cougar still randomly wander 30 second may be exaggerated ... but they definitely dont chase me as wolves/coyotes 

..  even bears are less aggresive .. but i suspect lower "detection range" here

32 minutes ago, BubbaJoe said:

Thanks... yeah, that's exactly what I meant, and what you see in movies is exactly how I pictured it happening as well. How effective it would be in real life, I have no idea.. but I'm pretty sure most of us in that situation with a torch would be trying it anyway.
The only thing I would want though if they added something like that is that you must swing it, and you must be facing the animal. Perhaps once to stop them, another time to make them start stepping backwards, a third time to make them run away, with not too long of a delay in between. For example, if you swing only once and that's it, the animal will stop, it waits a few seconds, then runs at you again. This way, it makes warding off a pack of wolves still a challenge. You have to intimidate them at all angles.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:21 PM, Laz Man said:

Its the apocalypse.  Food is scare.  I bet most wolves would attack people if they were starving.  Its not too much of a stretch.

Biome Vultures already have the behavior your talking about (wont attack you until wounded) so not sure there needs to be another animal with the same behavior.

As a side note wolves actually do run away when hurt and come back later.

Well.. the difference, I'd argue, is that vultures are zombies, in this game, so they should be attacking you even if their original instinct was to wait for a weakened prey.  From what I understand, the game differentiates animals into "docile/friendly" and "predators". Making wolves act like real wolves, would add credibility to the concept of the animal and actually make them different in the other aspects he described. As it stands, they are actually no different, aka have the same behavior, than dogs, coyotes, cougars, bears, and zombies bears. So that would actually add variety.

If their behavior were to be changed I wouldn’t want them to become basically land vultures. I think a better change would be that if there is one it follows you at a distance. After a timer goes off another one shows up and they both follow at a distance. Once there are three there is a percent chance they will attack all at once. At four that chance increases and at five it is guaranteed.   Something like that would be different than vultures and wouldn’t rely on the player getting wounded or encumbered. 

IT doesn’t bother me that they run into spikes or attack the walls of your base, personally, but I also wouldn’t care if that behavior changed as well. 

I think the game would be enriched if the programmers that handle the mob behaviors would turn their attention to the non-zombie canines and make them behave less like zombies, or at least make them behave less like zombies MORE OFTEN. As has been pointed out in more than one post in this thread already: if wolf/dog aggro behavior toward player is going to stay identical to zombie wolf/dog aggro behavior then why bother having the distinctive mob type at all?

If they were to implement actual stalking and team hunting dynamics that would be fantastic, but also a much more ambitious rework.

15 hours ago, Roland said:

If their behavior were to be changed I wouldn’t want them to become basically land vultures. I think a better change would be that if there is one it follows you at a distance. After a timer goes off another one shows up and they both follow at a distance. Once there are three there is a percent chance they will attack all at once. At four that chance increases and at five it is guaranteed.   Something like that would be different than vultures and wouldn’t rely on the player getting wounded or encumbered. 

IT doesn’t bother me that they run into spikes or attack the walls of your base, personally, but I also wouldn’t care if that behavior changed as well. 

Saw someone saying direwolves are zombie wolves.. how come we get raw meat off them instead of rotten meat?

1 hour ago, th3s0n1c said:

Saw someone saying direwolves are zombie wolves.. how come we get raw meat off them instead of rotten meat?

Because they aren't zombie wolves. If they were they would be called zombie wolves. Direwolves are prehistoric wolves much like the sabertooth lion. I suppose they always existed undiscovered in the some remote cutoff prestine biome of the Arizona mountains that became exposed due to the cataclysmic events of the apocalypse and they are now seeping into and spreading over the world once again.... 

39 minutes ago, Roland said:

Because they aren't zombie wolves. If they were they would be called zombie wolves. Direwolves are prehistoric wolves much like the sabertooth lion. I suppose they always existed undiscovered in the some remote cutoff prestine biome of the Arizona mountains that became exposed due to the cataclysmic events of the apocalypse and they are now seeping into and spreading over the world once again.... 

I thought their natural habitat had been a laboratory in Higachi Tower 😉

On 10/6/2020 at 8:48 AM, Danidas said:

consider that this does not apply to the Dire Wolves as they are actually suppose to be undead zombie wolves.

Really? Because they drop meat, not rotting meat, unless one or another mod I am using messed it up and the game default is rotting meat.

16 hours ago, Roland said:

Why tho? What's even the point of introducing direwolves into the game? It doesnt make sense to me to add a prehistoric animal into the game just for the sake of it.

You were just talking about variety and not having one entity repeating the same behavior as another and, yet, here we have an animal that is exactly just like another animal.. so much so that it is actually the same animal.. just bigger and stronger.

1 hour ago, th3s0n1c said:

Why tho? What's even the point of introducing direwolves into the game? It doesnt make sense to me to add a prehistoric animal into the game just for the sake of it.

You were just talking about variety and not having one entity repeating the same behavior as another and, yet, here we have an animal that is exactly just like another animal.. so much so that it is actually the same animal.. just bigger and stronger.

What is your point? The dire wolves are not being introduced. They are already in and there is nothing wrong with having a bigger and stronger version of an enemy. If TFP was still planning to implement direwolves in the future then your feedback would make sense. But cut them from the game? What would that serve?

Let's pretend they have been cut and they are just a larger wolf. Done. There are now only wolves in the game and some tend to be larger than others....

That doesn't mean I'd be against giving the larger wolves a different ability to make them different and add variety. I also wouldn't be against adding a new animal type for sure but why come out against an already completed enemy? Same goes for the original complaint about wolves vs dogs. You guys are about 2 years too late on this. They are already in and I'd rather not have them cut for no reason other than a few people wondering why the world can have  dogs, coyotes, wolves, and larger scarier wolves in the game. If you just feel like criticizing what TFP chose to do a couple years ago and want to talk about what they should have done instead, I guess that could be entertaining, but not super helpful going forward. It's water under the bridge.

I'm not the one who was talking about needing variety anyway. I'm the one who said that I'm fine with the way things are but if we were to change the behavior of the wolves let's not make them just like the vultures and then I suggested an alternate behavior for them. But to be clear, I'm happy with how it is too. I came to play a game where enemies are trying to eat my face so I'm not too broken up by the fact that all the enemies want to eat my face. <shrug>

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

Let's pretend they have been cut and they are just a larger wolf. Done

Exactly.... who even says that they are prehistoric wolves?   Maybe they're mutated normal wolves that survivors decided to call dire wolves?   

10 minutes ago, Roland said:

What is your point? The dire wolves are not being introduced. They are already in and there is nothing wrong with having a bigger and stronger version of an enemy. If TFP was still planning to implement direwolves in the future then your feedback would make sense. But cut them from the game? What would that serve?

I didnt say they were to be introduced.. I questioned what was even the point of introducing them in the first place, more specifically: I'm saying that as they stand, they are pretty pointless (on just being a bigger version of an animal that already exists and they behave the same) and the whole prehistoric thing YOU (addressing @Kalen's post above)  talked about is sort of... non sense. Are we getting dinossaurs next too? Maybe those prehistoric sharks? Just because?

Never once have I said they should be removed. I just said they should be reworked into being different to add variety (even if they were simply changed to zombie wolves would be enough).

17 minutes ago, Roland said:

If you just feel like criticizing what TFP chose to do a couple years ago and want to talk about what they should have done instead, I guess that could be entertaining, but not super helpful going forward. It's water under the bridge.

Arent people always saying that "the game is still under development and things can change"? Pretty sure lots of things that were introduced years ago are still going through changes.. and this is just another case of players pointing out that a change to this already existent enemy could be done as well.

19 minutes ago, Roland said:

'm not the one who was talking about needing variety anyway

You're right, you werent the one sayin we needed more variety, but you also said "If their behavior were to be changed I wouldn’t want them to become basically land vultures." When that, per se, would already be something different from a land vulture. Vultures dont run away after injured and they dont hunt in packs.

6 minutes ago, th3s0n1c said:

I didnt say they were to be introduced.. I questioned what was even the point of introducing them in the first place, more specifically: I'm saying that as they stand, they are pretty pointless (on just being a bigger version of an animal that already exists and they behave the same) and the whole prehistoric thing YOU (addressing @Kalen's post above)  talked about is sort of... non sense. Are we getting dinossaurs next too?

Maybe you misunderstood me.  I'm saying maybe they're NOT prehistoric animals.... just that survivors called them that.  

And as to whats the point of more difficult wolves?   You might as well ask whats the point of more difficult zombies....  to provide a challenge.

2 minutes ago, Kalen said:

Maybe you misunderstood me.  I'm saying maybe they're NOT prehistoric animals.... just that survivors called them that.  

And as to whats the point of more difficult wolves?   You might as well ask whats the point of more difficult zombies....  to provide a challenge.

If they were added to the game 'just because it would be cool having a sort of mythical monster", we could be getting vampires, harpies, dragons... or even more "realistical ones" like anacondas, huge alligators, idk, you name it.

And the point is not that they are more difficult wolves.. is that they are just basically another wolf. I mean, the bears at least are different because they get a zombie version. So asking 'Whats the point of more difficult zombies" doesnt apply. (And its a different matter: if we get more difficult zombies, bears and wolves, why dont we get more difficult snakes, coyotes and mountain lions?)

Someone recently said TFP are working on the Direwolf looks.. why not take the opportunity and make it something different as well? (Other than just visually)

1 minute ago, th3s0n1c said:

If they were added to the game 'just because it would be cool having a sort of mythical monster", we could be getting vampires, harpies, dragons... or even more "realistical ones" like anacondas, huge alligators, idk, you name it.

I dont know why you keep focusing on mythical monsters.... no one is saying they are mythical monsters.   We certainly wouldn't want mythical monsters in our zombie game.

You asked what the point was.... I'm assuming the point was to give us a more difficult version of an existing wolf.   You don't like that, and I get it.... but just because you don't like the reason doesn't invalidate the reason.

Archived