How to add constant fog to a world?

Many of you may have seen a certain youtuber that is doing a playthrough in Alpha 19.1, and he has constant, heavy fog in his world for added difficulty. I havent really done any modding in 7 days, other that changing vehicle speeds. I've poked around a bit into the weather system but could actually seem to make an changes take effect. Is there someone that could help me implement that? I have a few friends who would like to do a playthrough like this with me. Any ideas?

Not sure on this one but think I saw a vid where they showed fog settings was in biomes.xml.

Looked and seems to be there. You should be able to read through. There is some info about fog right at the beginning of the file about settings.

Good luck and hope this helped a bit.

14 hours ago, Gamida said:

Not sure on this one but think I saw a vid where they showed fog settings was in biomes.xml.

Looked and seems to be there. You should be able to read through. There is some info about fog right at the beginning of the file about settings.

Good luck and hope this helped a bit.

Thanks! Ill take a look at biomes.xml. If I do attempt to make changes, where should those changes be made? There is a config folder that seems to be generic for the whole game, and then there's a config folder for each individual world/save. Which file should I modify?

For “super dense fog” like that YouTuber you may be talking about, I believe (my guess) it’s a slightly modified version of this modlet:Donovan-night-fog

The modlet above has the same white fog but only at nighttime.  It’s a 1 line modlet, so to make fog dense all day and night, change the worldglobal.xml  values in the modlet to 0.4,0.4.  Currently that are set to 1,0.4 where the first value is daytime fog, second value is nighttime fog. 

from what I believe, it looks like the “fog value” is really a “visibility value” meaning that a value of 1 is “no fog, full visibility” and a value of 0.4 is “0.4 visibility” whatever that means. Maybe it’s a distance in meters or blocks, or percentage of total visibility.  I don’t know.  I’ve played around with the fog values and 0.4 is a good setting for playing the game with a lot of fog.   Setting to 0.2 is really really hard to see.  Maybe something like 0.3 or 0.35 might be as far as you’d want to go, IMHO.

The biomes also have fog settings, so I don’t know how the worldglobal.xml for setting interacts with them.  I would assume it would be “additive” so if the biome had a fog value it would increase the fog on top of the worldglobal, but since that could possibly be a lot of fog, it it may be that worldglobal is the base setting and overrides the biome fog level unless biome fog is denser than worldglobal.  

On 10/7/2020 at 8:53 AM, doughphunghus said:

For “super dense fog” like that YouTuber you may be talking about, I believe (my guess) it’s a slightly modified version of this modlet:Donovan-night-fog

The modlet above has the same white fog but only at nighttime.  It’s a 1 line modlet, so to make fog dense all day and night, change the worldglobal.xml  values in the modlet to 0.4,0.4.  Currently that are set to 1,0.4 where the first value is daytime fog, second value is nighttime fog. 

from what I believe, it looks like the “fog value” is really a “visibility value” meaning that a value of 1 is “no fog, full visibility” and a value of 0.4 is “0.4 visibility” whatever that means. Maybe it’s a distance in meters or blocks, or percentage of total visibility.  I don’t know.  I’ve played around with the fog values and 0.4 is a good setting for playing the game with a lot of fog.   Setting to 0.2 is really really hard to see.  Maybe something like 0.3 or 0.35 might be as far as you’d want to go, IMHO.

The biomes also have fog settings, so I don’t know how the worldglobal.xml for setting interacts with them.  I would assume it would be “additive” so if the biome had a fog value it would increase the fog on top of the worldglobal, but since that could possibly be a lot of fog, it it may be that worldglobal is the base setting and overrides the biome fog level unless biome fog is denser than worldglobal.  

Oh wow! Thank you so much! I have been searching for a mod that could do it for me, so thank you! I had been changing stuff around in the XML files, but to no avail. I will give this mod a try, but from what it sounds, this is exactly want I am looking for! Thank you!

Take a look at "Doughs modlets" on the main Mods page. Download his "Punishing Weather Core 2.02" mod - it's only the biomes.xml that needs adding to the mods folder (or the xml copied into an existing biomes.xml in the "Mods" folder). Get the Light and Medium files too, and read them - they're just one-line changes to the core, so it can be a small edit of the Core if you wish to experiment), Dough has some other great mods too.

https://community.7daystodie.com/forum/27-mods/ 

Archived