New biome Ideas

Crimson16TheAK

I feel like the game could benefit from a couple new Biomes. While not all would fit in Navezgane, I feel they would be good for random gen. Some ideas: Beach biome, Swamp Biome and Volcanic Biome, and Frozen Biome. I could go on, but I have ideas with these biomes. The Beach biome would have cheap/luxury hotels, aquariums, waterparks, restaurants and harbors. The stuff you'd expect at a beach. As well as palm trees and sand. This biome could introduce boats. And maybe a water threat, such as sharks/zombie sharks/piranhas, or a special swimming zombie. This could also introduce a fishing mechanic. The swamp biome would be mostly murky shallow water and muddy lands, with dense trees. There could be old wooden hut villages with bridges connecting. And of course a new zombie. The new zombie could hide under the muddy water, hard to see, and emerge when close to the player, and could also fling mud to disturb the players vision. Then the volcanic biome could spawn centralized around burned forests and deserts. The volcanic biome would have one large volcano, that could shoot lava rocks at random. There would be lava streams, and charred ground. This could be mostly desolate spare a few advanced military bunkers and labs. As well as some crash sites for planes. And of course a new enemy: The Flamethrower: A big zombie that lobs fireballs out of both hands and leaves a short trail of fire where he steps. He'd be a bit like the cop in difficulty, but like a friend of the burning zombie. The Frozen biome, located close to the snow biome, would be more barren like the desert. It would have icy cliffs, frozen lakes, and maybe have some small villages or camps. But most importantly are the hidden labs and military bunkers. And perhaps a nightmarish zombie made in those labs, that only appears in the night.

But that's it for my biome ideas. Whether the actual game developers see it and get inspiration, or some ambitious Mod Authors see it, I think it'd be a cool expansion, or at least the right direction. I hope you all have a good day.

6 hours ago, Crimson16TheAK said:

-snip-

That's a lot of load under random gen that I don't know if the devs are focusing on that as much as a static map. My only reasoning for that is that the static map is what gets a lot of the focus while RG is kind of a nice bonus on the side. I'll be frank, I don't mess with RG as much, but that could be that I prefer the standard Navazgane map, personally. Just my two cents. 

I think seasons could be fun. Every ten or so in game days you get a new season? Maybe have crops only grow within that window? Easier to implement, but makes the snow biome kinda eh. 

4 hours ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

That's a lot of load under random gen that I don't know if the devs are focusing on that as much as a static map.

I guess they do. At least almost every update contains changes to the RWG.

4 hours ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

I'll be frank, I don't mess with RG as much, but that could be that I prefer the standard Navazgane map, personally. Just my two cents. 

If you played a dozens of playthroughs, it becomes extremly boring if you already know where what is on the whole map. Even if there are updates to navez, these are only minor changes to the map.

I'm pretty sure TFP has player statistics how much play on navez and how much use RWG worlds. And i'd guess, there are far more people using RWG maps than playing on Navez.

I played my first 2 playthroughs on Navez and then never used it again and most probably will never again, neither any of my friends shows interest in playing on Navez again.

10 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I guess they do. At least almost every update contains changes to the RWG.

If you played a dozens of playthroughs, it becomes extremly boring if you already know where what is on the whole map. Even if there are updates to navez, these are only minor changes to the map.

I'm pretty sure TFP has player statistics how much play on navez and how much use RWG worlds. And i'd guess, there are far more people using RWG maps than playing on Navez.

I played my first 2 playthroughs on Navez and then never used it again and most probably will never again, neither any of my friends shows interest in playing on Navez again.

Like I said, I know I'm not the only playstyle out there. I like the standard map more than RWG. I know I'm not a good metric, or at least a viable one. 

That said, I still find new locations or hidden stuff all the time and I love it. Keeps me coming back. Part of what I don't like about RWG is that it's really just the same assets just being moved around in unpredictable ways. Doesn't really scratch that itch for me, but maybe I'll grow into it. For me I don't mind knowing the layout of the map already, but I can understand how that could become boring or same-y. I tend to play differently when I start a new character. Sometimes I'll set my own rules like I have to live in the house I spawn next to, or, the first weapon I find is what I spec into. Maybe I never live anywhere and just wander. Just depends on the mood. 

I think it's important to keep the RG updated with new POIs, I love Navezgane, but it'd be a bit much if they crammed all the things into one map. I'd really like to see a 2nd handmade map, with the biomes I stated and whatever else. New biomes would add a lot to the exploration. Also I thought of a radioactive biome too, that would be cool! I just wonder what the border would be then. But the Fun Pimps are working really hard on everything else, and doing a great job. I just haven't seen much talk on the subject and was curious.

Archived