Dear TFP any plans to fix the terrain? Seems strange in a19.

Scyris

It was fine in A17-18, However in A19 and 19.1 (probally 19.2 didn't check) something changes, what used to be smooth rolling hills, has now basically turned into this even on what appears to be flat ground ^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^ there is a height drop of a half block every other block that goes up and down, you really notice it on vehicles as it kills there speed. Bsscially went from a mostly smooth straight/curved line, to some super wavy/bumpy thing even on what looks like flat ground, other than cities anyway those are actually flat. Its also like this on mountains, but the sides of those always were a little bumpy so thats probably normal. Was this intended? or was it a error somehow, any world I generate and the pregens have this terrain. I don't know how to explain it properly, its like half block drops between every block on what looks like flat ground, not enough to stop a vehicle but enough to cut its speed in half even going in a straight line.

Yeah the terrain has been awful in this alpha build.  I hate that offroading is basically impossible on most of the map but I could deal with it if the roads weren't bad as well.  So many times I have to go offroading to get around a part in the road that shoots up at a 90 degree angle or the road is so wavy that you can barely drive on it without getting stuck.  I'm not sure if this is intentional or if something messed up on the terrain generation.  

4 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

Yeah the terrain has been awful in this alpha build.  I hate that offroading is basically impossible on most of the map but I could deal with it if the roads weren't bad as well.  So many times I have to go offroading to get around a part in the road that shoots up at a 90 degree angle or the road is so wavy that you can barely drive on it without getting stuck.  I'm not sure if this is intentional or if something messed up on the terrain generation.  

Well in that case it might be on purpose, as A19 was supposed to have a new system where vehicles can break down when your not driving on roads/flat ground, I suspect that any bump it takes has a small chance to cause a breakdown you have to repair to keep going. Honestly to me, it just sounds like yet another unneeded and unwanted game system for the devs to take away more choice from the players, bad enough with the digging and swimming zombies and the vultures able to catch a motorcycle. Next they ruin loot but making it linear, removing any real sense of randomness/luck from it. Then we got the vehicle things that will come in a20 most likely, screwing people from driving off road, which with the road generation being as wonky as it is, its just going to make it take even longer to get to places.

I haven't seen any ^-^-^-^-^ in 19 at all, but have in the past so I know what you're referring to.  

I don't notice/mind what jank there is in roads and terrain so much.  Definitely much better in 19 than previous alphas I've played.  If I come across a broken road, I remind myself that without roads maintenance, it wouldn't take all that long for them to turn to Schitt with earthquakes, fires, rain/erosion, etc.  If there was a bit of grass growing here and there on dirt roads and through cracks in the paved roads/streets/parking lots, I could buy into that even more.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:37 AM, Scyris said:

It was fine in A17-18, However in A19 and 19.1 (probally 19.2 didn't check) something changes, what used to be smooth rolling hills, has now basically turned into this even on what appears to be flat ground ^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^ there is a height drop of a half block every other block that goes up and down, you really notice it on vehicles as it kills there speed. Bsscially went from a mostly smooth straight/curved line, to some super wavy/bumpy thing even on what looks like flat ground, other than cities anyway those are actually flat. Its also like this on mountains, but the sides of those always were a little bumpy so thats probably normal. Was this intended? or was it a error somehow, any world I generate and the pregens have this terrain. I don't know how to explain it properly, its like half block drops between every block on what looks like flat ground, not enough to stop a vehicle but enough to cut its speed in half even going in a straight line.

If you are referring to the terrain that can be craggy and almost unpassable with a vehicle, that's been around since at least A18. The amount of that terrain varies per map. It would bother me less if the road system was better because then the roads/country roads would provide a viable alternative to dealing with the craggy terrain. But the roads, especially the country roads, are still a mess and sometimes the only option is to drive through that terrain.

Huh, I just generated a 4x4 map in 19.1 and checked out a city and surrounding countryside. Still seemed much smoother than my Nitrogen map. Roads were very flat, and grades/hillsides in vanilla were quite smooth. Don't mean to gainsay OP, but it still looked pretty good for me with 19.1 vanilla. Still use Nitrogen for all my co-op games.

Gentle hillside from 19.1 vanilla RWG:

image.png.154b98c0df0dac9bd48ddfd6e63d7960.png

Gentle hillside from Nitrogen:

image.png.82c341fd2a17a10f00827311d038e777.png

Archived