Players with 5000+ Hours game time

Grandpa Minion

At some point it appears that Valve separated its public stats into "Most Played" (Most Simultaneous Players) and "Top Sellers" (Most Gross Revenue). If you look at the page for 2019's Top Sellers 7 Days to Die is not on there that I can see, nor is it there for 2018 (it is, however, there under the Bronze category in 2017). Obviously this doesn't necessarily contradict the earlier posting from 2017 stating, directly from Valve, that 7D2D is in the Top 100 selling games of all time (as of 2017) on Steam. The biggest reason for that is because this 2019 list is referring to gross revenue, whereas that post from Valve is ambiguous as to whether its referring to revenue or units sold, but also because its entirely possible that even if it did fall out of the top spots in 2018 and 2019 it could still very well be in the top 100.

For what admittedly little my personal opinion is worth, I definitely think 7D2D is probably still on the Top 100 list that Valve seems to have hidden away with their carrier pigeons. Based on the block/voxel/zombie/survival craze of when it released and the consistent updates that quite frankly blow most games' support cycles out of the water it's not hard to imagine it would still be in the Top 100 as of 2020 even if it's not charting in the Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze lists since 2017.

THIS VIDEO IS JUST ONE OF COUNTLESS VIDEOS THAT CAN BE FOUND IN OUR DISCORD #VIDEO CHANNEL THAT REPRESENTS WHY PLAYERS IN THIS GAME LOVE PVP SO MUCH.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:58 PM, Diragor said:

sadly that the reason...why is everyone a pvp focused kid. I mean there are more things in life beside always competing with other players in pvp battles. it's like people who play pvp so much just wants to push theyr ego and to feel better than others..and thats sad. sure they can add pvp aspects but they should always be optional cause I want Pve I don't need my base to be destroyed by others when I'm offline..

I honestly cant speak for other games why people play pvp since i designate all my game time for pvp in 7d2d. However i can tell you the main reason players play pvp in this game is because it makes the game more challenging. Since the devs have focused so much on the pve side of this game making "to easy""no challege" players who play pvp in 7d2d find it more a challege to have zombies and other players to deal with a better and more challenging option to survive.

I definately wouldnt recommend for the "new player" to start on a pvp server in this game as most who play pvp in it have playd this game prior and have become bored needing that extra element of other players to compete against. Generally as you become more experienced in this game the easier it becomes to survive. The pvp element makes the game have an X factor that pve players will never understand unless they play pvp.

11 hours ago, Grandpa Minion said:

THIS VIDEO IS JUST ONE OF COUNTLESS VIDEOS THAT CAN BE FOUND IN OUR DISCORD #VIDEO CHANNEL THAT REPRESENTS WHY PLAYERS IN THIS GAME LOVE PVP SO MUCH.

I think the lack of views and down votes speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

EZ bait, ya'll. 

Yup

4 minutes ago, Fox said:

I think the lack of views and down votes speak for themselves.

Yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXLLfZv4lak

On 10/1/2020 at 11:58 PM, Diragor said:

sadly that the reason...why is everyone a pvp focused kid. I mean there are more things in life beside always competing with other players in pvp battles. it's like people who play pvp so much just wants to push theyr ego and to feel better than others..and thats sad. sure they can add pvp aspects but they should always be optional cause I want Pve I don't need my base to be destroyed by others when I'm offline..

I honestly cant speak for other games why people play pvp since i designate all my game time for pvp in 7d2d. However i can tell you the main reason players play pvp in this game is because it makes the game more challenging. Since the devs have focused so much on the pve side of this game making "to easy""no challege" players who play pvp in 7d2d find it more a challege to have zombies and other players do deal with a better and more challenging option to survive,

15 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXLLfZv4lak

I honestly cant speak for other games why people play pvp since i designate all my game time for pvp in 7d2d. However i can tell you the main reason players play pvp in this game is because it makes the game more challenging. Since the devs have focused so much on the pve side of this game making "to easy""no challege" players who play pvp in 7d2d find it more a challege to have zombies and other players do deal with a better and more challenging option to survive,

the game is too easy? When I play on max difficulty settings (max zombies, bloodmoon every night, daytime only 12 h, highest speed, blockdmg from zombies 300%, etc...) I fieel like being in Dark souls hardcore mode..

6 hours ago, Grandpa Minion said:

I can appreciate that you play for greater challenge.... but the dude in that video certainly is not.   More than half the kills in that video were against people that had zero chance to defend themselves and most of those looked like people that just started out.

In my experience, many people that play pvp do so to exert power over others.   

2 hours ago, Kalen said:

I can appreciate that you play for greater challenge.... but the dude in that video certainly is not.   More than half the kills in that video were against people that had zero chance to defend themselves and most of those looked like people that just started out.

In my experience, many people that play pvp do so to exert power over others.   

@kalen if you ever decide to play pvp id recommend watching this video: One of the biggest mistakes new pvp players make is "i built this base no one can raid it""no one can find it" this video was made by rhaikh and serves a great reminder about hiding your base on a pvp server: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqhupSMv6o4

8 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

@kalen if you ever decide to play pvp id recommend watching this video: One of the biggest mistakes new pvp players make is "i built this base no one can raid it""no one can find it" this video was made by rhaikh and serves a great reminder about hiding your base on a pvp server: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqhupSMv6o4

Oh, I'm familiar with it.... back in A16 (or maybe 15... I forgot) you could make yourself immune to radiation with a max quality hazmat suit and max resistance.   So I would hide my stuff in the radiation zone.... no one ever thought to look there.

3 minutes ago, Kalen said:

Oh, I'm familiar with it.... back in A16 (or maybe 15... I forgot) you could make yourself immune to radiation with a max quality hazmat suit and max resistance.   So I would hide my stuff in the radiation zone.... no one ever thought to look there.

haha good one, a15 was so great for pvp back when calipers existed actually made players have to get out and travel to find them: To this day i still believe one of the biggest mistakes the devs made was removing calipers from the game.  As it is now players can just stay local to obtain everything they need.

On 10/4/2020 at 1:09 PM, Grandpa Minion said:

I honestly cant speak for other games why people play pvp since i designate all my game time for pvp in 7d2d. However i can tell you the main reason players play pvp in this game is because it makes the game more challenging. Since the devs have focused so much on the pve side of this game making "to easy""no challege" players who play pvp in 7d2d find it more a challege to have zombies and other players to deal with a better and more challenging option to survive.

I definately wouldnt recommend for the "new player" to start on a pvp server in this game as most who play pvp in it have playd this game prior and have become bored needing that extra element of other players to compete against. Generally as you become more experienced in this game the easier it becomes to survive. The pvp element makes the game have an X factor that pve players will never understand unless they play pvp.

I think i found the reason you all lost 100k players.

Just read the chat in some of those clips. Camping level 1's? Yeah man, sorry. Somehow your evidence of amazing PVP turned out to be just a video of troll kills. 

A true PVP experience set inside this world of 7 days would involve factions, territories, loot runs under fire etc. Not just jump shooting a noob in the face with an M60

3 hours ago, JaxTeller718 said:

I think i found the reason you all lost 100k players.

Just read the chat in some of those clips. Camping level 1's? Yeah man, sorry. Somehow your evidence of amazing PVP turned out to be just a video of troll kills. 

A true PVP experience set inside this world of 7 days would involve factions, territories, loot runs under fire etc. Not just jump shooting a noob in the face with an M60

The one spot in video I liked (lol)

- (3:40 - 3:54)  Day 56 Time 17:15.  Meets level 1 player Colonel Lando Calrissian. Gives him some gear and does the (from my experience) the jump of friendship.

- Plays a cut scene from different time.

- (4:04) Cuts back to Day 56 Time 17:27.  Kills Colonel Lando Calrissian.

That is how I saw it anyway. If it looks different to anyone else please let me know how I got it wrong because to me it just looks like...

- (P1) Hey level 1 player here. Am no threat to you.

- (P2)Hey friend, here have some starting gear, food and tea. (Jump of Friendliness)

- (P1) Thank you.

- (P2) Hey you have some nice stuff....die.

@Grandpa Minion. I want you to know I am not knocking your like of PVP. I don't play it myself. Never have and most likely never will. My only real experience with it to this date is seeing some vids on youtube. My first being watching some in Rust. The ones I saw were mostly well geared players killing people who just spawned in, some who never even had the time to pick up a rock. That may have been what soured me on PVP. I know there are many who love PVP and maybe play it exclusively. That is fine. I would think there are servers out there where it is played respectively giving everyone from newbies to the vets the game they want and the challenge of competing against fairly evenly matched opponents. To each their own. For now I will stick with PVE but in future.....ya never know :)

@Gamida I used to never play pvp myself but started pvp in guild wars 1- after playing that for 8 years untill guild wars 2 came out which wasn't the same fore me.  I eventually found 7d2d and started to play it. I playd a couple thousands hours 7d2d on the pve side than decided to switch to pvp since just like alot of pvpers in this game we eventually get bored of just killing zombies and need the extra X factor to survive. Like i said earlier playing pvp in 7d2d adds a whole new element to the game that makes it more challenging.  

I have no doubt that playing against another human (or more) has more challenges and more adrenaline rushes to it. No NPC can compete with the experience of taking on another human player, in my opinion anyway. I think most people who are not fond of PVP are like me who have only seen the seedy side of it where the overpowered players dominate the new players who join before they have a chance to even begin to get any gear or experience.

I think some servers I have seen have set up PVP areas where players who feel like it can go there and test themselves against others of the same mindset. I think that way it give new players a chance to build up some gear and experience so they have a more even chance to survive an encounter with another player. I can even see that being expoited by someone building their base just outside a PVP area then running in and killing someone and then getting back to their safe base. PVP may be one of those things that is truely hard to balance in some games. Anyway, I have enough trouble with the zombies let alone someone who can actually think on their feet so I guess I will stick with PVE for now and stay out of PVP lol.

https://i.imgur.com/SC8oTB8.png

Image is too big to just show, so I left it as a link. But I think the global achievements percentage also shows how little ppl care about pvp with this game. I think some servers leave pvp enabled as an option for ppl who like to mess around with their friends once in a while as we all like to do on occasion (and some server hosts just don't care or know much about the game and are just hosting to make money), but to say pvp is or should ever be a focus in this game... hell no.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:15 AM, White-Gandalf said:

Steam at the moment says "7128" hours. Thus i assume to be able to answer in the sense of an answer to the thread starter instead of dully complaining.

Disclaimer: I entered only at the end of alpha 13 / beginning of alpha 14, thus have limited knowledge and no feeling about the phases before.

7DTD had a bunch of concepts tried in the last years which were happily accepted by the community of players. You can still literally see it on the vast amount of videos on youtube. You can even proof - on the basis of comments to those videos - that the vast majority of players that did not produce videos by themselves liked those concepts.

But the Funpimps ditched them in their seaming strife for a game that frustrates the players to a maximum.

Lets list at least a few of them...

1. The concept of "learning by doing": Introduced around the time when i entered the game (thus either with A13 or with A14), every single youtuber (of those i watched) was positively exited. Of course, with "learning by doing", a player CAN potentially - if he so wishes - spam-learn. With passing time, many youtubers went to do that. Like many Gamers that played some Elder Scrolls Game. The Elder Scrolls used the same concept long before, and players loved to spam-learn certain things. Me included at that time - ash on my head! After going to play that style of spam-doing, SOME (by no means ALL) players began to criticize that concept - MOSTLY exactly those players who castigated themselves with that. Instead of lending a helping psychologic hand to those minority of pitiable gamers, the funpimps ditched the concept alianating the vast majority of players who loved it. For me, i simply watched the youtuber "Gerugon" - who was the one who fascinated me for this game - and ditched that spam-doing ones and for all, because playing for fun as it goes along has simply much more value than castinating oneself.

2. The concept of gardening with hoe and fertilizer: I never saw a single guy complaining anything about that one. It was fun, you could "cultivate" the surroundings of manors with flowerbeds and it was fun designing and building them and watching the results after a few weeks of extensions. The funpimps ditched it anyways with about A17.

3. The concept of having a huge amount of building blocks to chose from: Over the last versions, beginning with A16, the funpimps reduced the available blocks groupwise one by one. They introduced an OTHER concept that is in fact a very comfortable one - that building blocks get generic source blocks -, and they introduced a few new block shapes, but at the same time they screwed the classic block variants to a pitiable mess in comparison to what was available in A15. See on youtube and compare it to ingame A19 for yourself!

4. The concept of simple surrounding hitboxes for pixelwise complex blocks: With A17, the funpimps heavily changed the hitbox calculation for most - at least for the most crucially used - blocks (as well as for the interaction with entities), so that they TRIED (but pitifully missed) to make the cursor hit a block exactly when it hits an existing pixel of said block. They missed it because somehow they totally screwed the math behind it. Thus, nowadays, for example, if you would try to hit the massive metal strips of a metal spike trap, you would have to painstakingly find a few pixels pointing to the earth (!) behind (!) the trap to actually hit the trap. And vis versa: You need to find some pixels on the metal stripes in the picture to actually repair the earth beneath it. The same goes with all and every plant. And with plants, the hitboxes somehow get overlapped by hitboxes of blocks that are completely out of view. When places beside a plant, plates, for example, seem to count as full blocks hitbox wise. The same was going with gigantic boulders in A17. Fortunately, the funpimps did something to mitigate that last obstacle. You nowadays, in A19, are able to hit a boulder somewhat all over his multiblock body. But with all other blocks, including plants and traps, it is still a bloody mess. WHY, by the heavens, did the funpimps see the need of exchanging SIMPLY shaped surrounding hitboxes - which functioned all the time up to A16 and NOBODY ever complaining about them - for pixelwise such? WHY?!? If they at least did it correctly... But no, they screwed it all along. That whole thing gets an iceberg under the tip: In each session, after some time, the hitboxes not only for complex shaped blocks, but for each and every block get DISPLACED - by a few centimeters or so, so that hitting anything anywhere becomes a game of dice. The funpimps in fact did that whole thing decades better in previous alphas - up to A16. Then they let some apprentice lay their fingers on the hitbox calculation.

If you are REALLY determined to let things have pixelated hitboxes, at least make the math behind it correct! Otherwise, i'm absolutely sure nobody would complain having a simplified hitbox that reserves some room for a line of sight to the block behind, but offers safe and certain hit when aimed SOMEWHERE AROUND the center - NOT with subpixel accuracy and NOT with displacements dependend on daytime and weather and moon phase. And dice.

5. The concept of simple surrounding hitboxes for entities and weapon swings: EVERY game i played in my live did that one correct. At least, I played no game that did it just remotely so screwed as the funpimps managed do bake it in A17. Fortunately, beginning with A18, the funpimps returned, step by step, to a more playable system. Guys: Even first person shooters with drastically more complex weapons and moves get this right. 7DTD was - for some time - the one outstanding exception where arrows did have hitboxes of 1 square meters, but sledgehamers and enemies such of 1 square MILLImeters. Luckily halfways gone with A19. If you simply returned to the absolutely accepted and functioning concept you had in place up to A16, no one would complain.

=====================

Beside those criticisms, the funpimps are introducing a few nice and well accepted concepts over time. Lets have a look at those:

1. More variants in enemies: Since the zombies are one half of the defining matter of the game, those variations are always well accepted.

2. More variants in vehicles: The motorbike and the truck are something that introduces a touch of car racing games into 7DTD. Then: Why the hell are those things so sluggy in the vanilla settings? As soon as you even slightly (by factor 1.4) enhance the speed of the vehicles, the rides become really (!) FUN. Pimps! Hmmm?!?

3. More variants in self made decorative blocks. Just: Could you, please, quit scrapping hundreds of old ones at the same time? Old ones that were FUN? Pimps?

4. More variants in POIs. With the current state in A19, i have the impression to never get the whole picture of what is where in the vast amount of different POIs. Despite playing this game excessively. The average player will never ever get the chance to get even a glimps into all the ideas the funpimps invested into the design of the POIs. Nearly all PIOIs have settings with an underlying telltale, which you mostly will only realize after you go through the whole thing repeatedly. So, for example, the story around Grace: I still bicker with myself what the true cohesion is behind the scenes: Did the swine become intelligent? By being fed with the supercorn? Did it, in the end, kill and partially eat the whole stuff of men working at the facility, after those men first used the supercorn to mass produce and slaughter piggies? In the lowest cellar level before the trap door to the lair of grace, it looks as if men where slaughtered instead of pigs, to produce even more of the supercorn with the fertilizer made of the dead bodies...

Well: The funpimps do not need to offer written proof of those stories: They speak for themselves. and Players can make them up for themselves as they thing fit. And nearly EVERY POI has something to offer in that regard. THAT is one of the really shining gemstones, the funpimps build into this game. That so far makes up for the annoyances counted earlier.

=====================

So, overall, in my opinion the game is still an outstanding gemstone. Especially by the COMBINATION of all the involved aspects: Castle building strategy ("tower defense"), Voxel based world modification with (!) sufficient realistic physics, First person shooting fights, Medieval touch regarding weapons and tools (but very modern in late game), Exploration and Looting and Quests and Role playing character development - You nowhere else get that bundle. Keep it that way!

=====================

Just a last thought about the play time (>7000): Yes, from time to time, the game lingers in the background. But the >7000 hours result from the game being outstandingly attractive, just as some strategy games were beforehand. The game has an astonishingly high replay value. You don't know anything about the explorable space - in any of the involved aspects - after the first 100 hours. You will mostly get a glimps in merely one or two dozens of POIs, and in one single knappsack path in the perk jungle. When you played it ten times - at which point you will have gotten the greater picture of POI designs and possible solutions along the perks knappsack problem and how this combines with Looting and Quests, as well as a good view of the annoyances that can get into your way -, you will have invested around 1000 to 2000 hours. And then, possibly, this only triggers the desire to get it perfect. And then comes the next alpha with radically changed (and hopefully not so much screwed) mechanics and calculations. And then you start modding. And then - look over you shoulder - you have put some thousand hours into it.

thats a 1000 hrs typing right there

6 hours ago, Fox said:

I think some servers leave pvp enabled as an option for ppl who like to mess around with their friends once in a while as we all like to do on occasion

We have pvp enabled, but not for acutally pvp but for enabling friendly fire. We all think it is stupid If you can shoot through your friends and you should watch what you fire at in combat. That's also where all my pvp-kills come from... not a single one was intended.

21 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

in attempt to get the post back on track i asked a few people i know who have thousands of hours in this game to come post something meaningfull.

lol

Well I am now convinced this is indeed a troll, but thank you to everyone else, I learned some cool stuff about 7D2D sales stats.

Archived