Players with 5000+ Hours game time

Got over 7,000 hours - Started around A15-16. Don't feel sorry for me. I play almost every day at the end of my work day. It's my chill time after the wife and kids go to bed. For the main focus of the game, I see it coming to fruition. They haven't candy coated anything and have been bringing everything that I've expected and more. With modlets, all things are possible (for the most part). I'm honestly happy with where it's heading and have learned to tweak things as needed. There are bugs, but the bug list is getting drastically shorter and the optimizations have not gone unnoticed. 

Edited by Ti2xGr (see edit history)
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Fox said:

I just feel sad for them.

Which is exactly why I don't share my hours played and am grateful for the Forum Purge of 2020.

#nolife

27 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

OMG roland are there not any players left with 5000+ hours?

did they all rage all ready?

....some things never change.

I shouldn't really be posting in this thread as I don't meet the qualifications

I personally have 4871 hours tracked by Steam, and probably another thousand or so that are from early Alpha builds where Steam didn't track offline gameplay.

And to be honest, anyone with super-high hour counts I take with a grain of salt. There's software out there that will fake Steam into thinking you're playing games, just so you can build up hours for achievements and trading cards.

7 minutes ago, th3s0n1c said:

or anyone related to TFP.. can you even validate that the game have 100k copies sold?

According to Steam, it's been over 10 million copies sold.  A couple years ago it was still in the 5-10 million copies, so I'm not sure exactly when we jumped the hurdle.

The game has sold in the millions of units. Not everyone plays all at once and many have probably stopped for the time being. Take a look at the comparison with Subnautica.

image.png.b7c8db3d4ada75bfcfe1be926a6f8e0d.png

Concurrent players don't really tell the story. That huge spike for Subnautica is when they came out of Early Access. Tons of old players probably tried it out to see what the finished game was like. 7 Days to Die will probably get a similar spike when the announcement that it is finished makes its way throughout all the players who ever puchased it. 

Here is what Subnautica and 7 Days have in common that keeps the concurrent numbers lower than they might otherwise be: No focus on PvP.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Roland said:

The game has sold in the millions of units. Not everyone plays all at once and many have probably stopped for the time being. Take a look at the comparison with Subnautica.

Concurrent players don't really tell the story. That huge spike for Subnautica is when they came out of Early Access. Tons of old players probably tried it out to see what the finished game was like. 7 Days to Die will probably get a similar spike when the announcement that it is finished makes its way throughout all the players who ever puchased it. 

Here is what Subnautica and 7 Days have in common that keeps the concurrent numbers lower than they might otherwise be: No focus on PvP.

That other spike on Subnautica in Dec 2018-Jan 2019 is when it released on Epic for free.  Gained a lot of interest then as well.

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

Never thought of 7DtD to be that much of a popular game... I'm really surprised. Thought OP was talking out of his ass.. but with  that number, I guess 100k players leaving the game is actually a possibility... I wasnt accounting for peak players being the only measure of the total number (although it would be closest to the truth).. even the total number of reviews on it dont make it to 100k.

Now it´s 50-100k players that rage quit. So 3-6 per hour played. You basically saw a ragequit every 10-20 minutes? And all of them announcing that they are never going to play the game again?

I have played like 15o hours of PvP, seen a few people ragequit the server. About 20 i would say. None of them announced that they are never going to play the game again.

I am close to 5K hours btw. And i am glad they focus on PvE first like they planned from the beginning on.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, th3s0n1c said:

I guess 100k players leaving the game is actually a possibility

Millions have come and gone and millions probably tried the game for an hour or two and that was it. I still get weekly requests from kickstarter pledgers to help them convert their kickstarter key to a steam key because they are finally ready to play and those were purchases from 7 years back. It really doesn't matter that not all 10+ million purchasers play the game regularly since it isn't a subscription game anyway. What matters is that the trend is upward even 7 years after initial launch and that the developers are still excited about working on it. Most games get 20 hours of play so it is pretty ridiculous to say that the game is failing because it can't retain player interest past 5000 hours and nobody with 5000+ hours is left to give any feedback.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, th3s0n1c said:

Never thought of 7DtD to be that much of a popular game... I'm really surprised. Thought OP was talking out of his ass.. but with  that number, I guess 100k players leaving the game is actually a possibility... I wasnt accounting for peak players being the only measure of the total number (although it would be closest to the truth).. even the total number of reviews on it dont make it to 100k.

To be fair, he said "rage quit" which can, but doesn't necessarily, mean that they left the game permanently. That said I'm having extreme doubts about not only personally witnessing 100,000 (or even 50,000) people leave but also having the mental fortitude to keep track of such things, and lest OP take that as an insult, I wouldn't be able to keep track of that sort of thing either unless I was obsessively tracking it with hard numbers/data.

Edited by BubbaJoe (see edit history)
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, BubbaJoe said:

To be fair, he said "rage quit" which can, but doesn't necessarily, mean that they left the game permanently. That said I'm having extreme doubts about not only personally witnessing 100,000 (or even 50,000) people leave but also having the mental fortitude to keep track of such things, and lest OP take that as an insult, I wouldn't be able to keep track of that sort of thing either unless I was obsessively tracking it with hard numbers/data.

Also, to be fair, the OP is hosting a large PvP server. Active players for that is going to be a rolling door no matter what game it is. People will rage quit regularly simply because it's PvP. Half the time they probably don't even mean it, it's just that the nature of that community in inherently toxic.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, th3s0n1c said:

@Roland @Gazz or anyone related to TFP.. can you even validate that the game have 100k copies sold? Because that would net A LOT of money.

I mean that's the highest it has ever been....

It's in the Steam Top 100 sold games of all time.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Gazz said:

It's in the Steam Top 100 sold games of all time.

I tried finding that list but no luck. Wouldn't mind seeing what's up there in the top 100... just to see if I own most of them or not.  :p

6 hours ago, Roland said:

sadly that the reason...why is everyone a pvp focused kid. I mean there are more things in life beside always competing with other players in pvp battles. it's like people who play pvp so much just wants to push theyr ego and to feel better than others..and thats sad. sure they can add pvp aspects but they should always be optional cause I want Pve I don't need my base to be destroyed by others when I'm offline..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fox said:

I tried finding that list but no luck. Wouldn't mind seeing what's up there in the top 100... just to see if I own most of them or not.  :p

Top games by player count.

Steam used to have a neat top 100 chart for games that was separate from the yearly charts they do, but for the life of me I am unable to find it now.

I have 5000+ hours, it's like 1000 hours per year; what's the big deal, I believe COD players play that at least a year if you add each installment of COD together.

Just look at the thousands of hours them SKYRIM players, esp the ones that MOD the crap out of it... just take a look.   And don't even get me started of the players that play Minecraft or WOW; probably be exceedingly more hours...  

If a game goes for years adding more content, it's not surprising.

As for this topic, I not much to add other than I hope TFP don't keep "simplifying" the game;  I enjoyed the detail of farming once had or the process it took to make reinforced concrete etc.  I do want them to build a better Electrical system and traps annnd make the Zombies STAWP being smart and avoid them - they are suppose to be mindless to an extent --- as of now the traps lethality do not scale with game difficulty and most of then are useless and are high maintenance...

And for crying out loud have Bandits and NPC Survivalists that give out side quests ... 

Edited by Ripflex (see edit history)
4 hours ago, Fox said:

It's right on the store page.

Awards

Hmm. And they are linking some nonsense there. Interesting.
I was looking around for games that I suspected to be in that list but found none. It must be a lot more exclusive than I thought and most "modern" games don't have the shelf life to have a chance to get in.
Edited by Gazz (see edit history)

I never paid much attention to average and peak players to see how popular or unpopular a game was to be honest. I can't be the only one who will binge on a game for a few months, then move on and binge on another then another. Eventually completing a circuit of about 10 of my favorite games and starting the whole cycle over again. Then add some new games that grab my interest and the cycle gets a little larger. Just because my +1 is no longer included in the player base on certain months has nothing to do with how I feel about a game.

So implying a game has problems because of shrinking numbers with no other data is incomplete at best. Do others play in cycles, did new games come out during that time, were there any updates to other games during that time, did other games go on sale or become free, etc, etc.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ripflex said:

..and traps annnd make the Zombies STAWP being smart and avoid them

They don't avoid the traps if you set them up correctly. It isn't really evident from the looks but you have to plant them flush with the ground and they will glady step on them

In other words, make 1 block deep trench and fill that with spike traps --> profit

8 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Does the above diagram only count players on public servers or does it also count players on closed (password protected) private server, that are not listed in the ingame server browser?

I'm pretty sure every player that does not play offline is counted. Steam automatically gets the info who plays what at the moment, for copy protection, friends lists ...

7 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Top games by player count.

Steam used to have a neat top 100 chart for games that was separate from the yearly charts they do, but for the life of me I am unable to find it now.

That's a list based on player count, not purchase amount.

6 hours ago, Gazz said:

It's right on the store page.

Awards

Hmm. And they are linking some nonsense there. Interesting.
I was looking around for games that I suspected to be in that list but found none. It must be a lot more exclusive than I thought and most "modern" games don't have the shelf life to have a chance to get in.

I see the mention of being in the top 100 sellers of all time, but still no list. And your other link is just based on most played.

I'm guessing they don't want a list like that to exist because they don't want to give away too much information on roughly how much money a game is making, or something.

I don't know about the 100 sellers of all time, but it's there, in the top sellers in the store, I see it on position 83/84.

Everytime that I look it's around there. Like Terraria, Stardew Valley, Skyrim, GTA V.

Seems that some games just keep selling and selling and selling and selling.

20 minutes ago, Fox said:

That's a list based on player count, not purchase amount.

They had such a list at one time but I guess they scrubbed any info like that, leaving only the award. ;)