why this game sucks lots of bandwith (dedicated server)

Edward01

its sometimes 5-15kb per user but sometimes 40-70kb bandwidht per user. that's really crap. map view range is 4, zombie population is 36 animals 40 but it is lagging. is this normal or is this game just a crap ?

server hardware is ok its i7 and 32gb ram and ssd but it is lagging due to internet bandwidth. but why this happens when its lagging normally 4-5kb rated my afk charecter is making 20-25kb. why is that happening? mods ? we have backpack mods, some ui mods

1 hour ago, Edward01 said:

but why this happens when its lagging normally 4-5kb rated my afk charecter is making 20-25kb.

It depends. It's a voxel world that need to be synchonized between players. If people are building around an afk player, the world changes constantly and becomes updated. Also if you are in a poi, and people shooting, maybe destroying blocks, everything needs to be synced. It doesn't matter if you are afk or not. Player positions, zombie positions, everything need to be synced also, every time.

And the communication may still not be optimized (but similar voxel games like minecraft or empyrion cause similar amounts of traffic). It's still alpha and i guess optimization of multiplayer traffic currently is not exactly a primary goal.

On my server playing with one external player, 5 hours playing causes like 200MB upload on my internet traffic. So in average like 12kbyte/s (96kbit/s).

So if you have only low upload bandwith (e.g. like 256kbit/s), your connection is simply not sufficient for hosting a server (or at least not for that many players).

And you can safe yourself "but Battlefield/CoD works fine" in advance. They are no voxel games, they can not be compared at all.

Ask yourself, why does a truck consume more fuel than a scooter?

11 minutes ago, Edward01 said:

but is there a way to reduce upload rate or optimise the upload syncronasation or another something else to imrove?

Nothing you can do yourself.

Run the server from one of your coplayers who has faster internet connection, or rent a game-server online that has "unlimited" internet bandwith (nitrado, or whatever server providers are in that country (or nearby) you are coming from).

For an assumed average of 100kbit/s per player this would be sufficient for 10 players. If the whole upload is only dedicated for playing 7d2d. If you have a videostream running or surfing on the side, it's less.

If you want to cover high peaks with 60kb/s (=480kbit/s as your own recording says) without issues, it would end up at ~6 players. In theory. Again only if exclusively used for 7d2d.

So in practice maybe... 4 players?

And just to be sure: 3Mbit/s is your UPLOAD speed?

If you mean you have a "standard" 3Mbit/s DSL-Connection, your upload is only 192kbit/s.

So max. 1.5 players assumed.

For hosting a server you need UPLOAD speed. Since most people have asymmetric connections, the download speed is almost irrelevant.

I have 3mbit upload speed then it should be 10 players for the server configuration ?

and is it needed to restart the server frequently? I restart the server in 20-24hours(dedicated server) manually. is there a way to restart it automatically(7days dedicated windows server)

and is the alloc fixes must to have on the server?

omg I've asked too many questions 😂

Uhm. No. 10 players is the theoretical maximum on average.

Maybe try 6, if you still run into problems, lower it further.

Is it a public server? I'd say just 3mbit/s is not the best connection to run a public server.

New joining players initially need to download the full map. With just 3mbit/s this may take a while or even timeout. I don't know if the server is intelligent enough to reduce the download speed to not impact other players either.

11 minutes ago, Edward01 said:

30-80kb per player is too much this is unacceptable. I think this is crap programming sorry but true.

I agree that it should be optimizied and i think it still can be optimizied, however 7d2d will never end up on traffic requirements like e.g. Battlefield does, because it's a completely different game that requires more traffic based on the pure system it's built up on.

I just explained why this is the case, because most people that never ever even touched programming "know" something is crap. And again, it's still alpha.

I can just repeat, native people from a jungle nation may also never get why a truck needs more fuel than a scooter, but never realize they don't understand how it works anyway. No offense. I'm just somehow sick about people complaining about things without any knowledge and act superior anyway.

I dont aggree with you. there are lots of creatures, structures and more fluent player movements and physics on Ark but there is no bandwidth requirement as 7d2d does. Furthermore 100-120players are ok on 3mbit on both 5 maps total but it is only  10-12 player on the 7days. I dont aggree with your truck and scooter comparison. if 7days is truck Ark Survival Evolved is space ship cruiser and there is a huge optimisation headroom on this game and has to be fixed.

If you only have 3Mbit upload, you shouldn't be hosting anything.

Also, Ark isn't a Voxel game with SI calculations on every block.  In terms of the core engine, Ark is most definitely a scooter. Hell Wildcard can't even be bothered to put the work into updating it to a version of UE4 that wasn't depreciated before they released the game. They'll just keep adding DLC and charging tons of money for it until people stop paying.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

If you only have 3Mbit upload, you shouldn't be hosting anything.

Also, Ark isn't a Voxel game with SI calculations on every block.  In terms of the core engine, Ark is most definitely a scooter. Hell Wildcard can't even be bothered to put the work into updating it to a version of UE4 that wasn't depreciated before they released the game. They'll just keep adding DLC and charging tons of money for it until people stop paying.

ya ya okay :)

I played on a public server for about 45 minutes to see what the bandwidth use was.

I averaged over 500kbps download from the server; which is much higher than the op's stats.

Server is modded with about 30 players on during my test. Maybe that effected the bandwidth.

No other applications were using bandwidth, which I confirmed by running nethogs during the test.

I started stat collection after logging into the game, and stopped it before logging out, so stats are

as accurate as I could make them. Over the course of the test the average started at around 300kbps

and gradually increased as I continued playing.

7D2D bandwidth 1 hour.png

I think you still don’t understand the developer’s words. What they mean is that I know there is a problem with the protocol transmission, but we don’t want to optimize it now. If you want to continue playing, you will spend more money to upgrade your equipment,same as usual

11 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

I played on a public server for about 45 minutes to see what the bandwidth use was.

I averaged over 500kbps download from the server; which is much higher than the op's stats.

Server is modded with about 30 players on during my test. Maybe that effected the bandwidth.

If you join a server you've never played on, intially the whole map is downloaded to your client. So in the first minutes/hour you will of course get a much higher average.

For me when joining our server with a new map the world loaded with ~5Mbit/s for 4-5 Minutes. That ALONE will give an hourly average of ~400kbit/s with not even having one second played. (The upload rate seems to be limited to 5Mbit/s anyway, because the host had an upload of 40mbit/s but i still only got exactly 5Mbit/s. But a limitation to 5mbit/s won't help much if the connection is only 3Mbit/s anyway).

And yes, on a server with low bandwith a newly joining player, that needs to load the map may cause the server be unplayable for others during his download. There have been already topics here, that a client can't even join the server because the map download times out due to low bandwith.

10 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

If you join a server you've never played on, intially the whole map is downloaded to your client. So in the first minutes/hour you will of course get a much higher average.

I started stat collection after logging into the server. By that I mean, I was in the game, not downloading a map. Also, I had been playing on that server previously, so no download took place, but that's beside the point.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:05 PM, PandaTea said:

I think you still don’t understand the developer’s words. What they mean is that I know there is a problem with the protocol transmission, but we don’t want to optimize it now. If you want to continue playing, you will spend more money to upgrade your equipment,same as usual

What I heard you say was "I don't understand how voxel worlds work and how much has to be transmitted beyond just user position and a few animations. I don't understand that every block placed, texture, along with all the other things happening in the world, all must be transmitted between clients and the server in a voxel world. I don't understand the difference between Unity and Unreal. Because of this, I'll just post a sarcastic comment." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 7:10 PM, Edward01 said:

I have 3mbit upload speed then it should be 10 players for the server configuration ?

and is it needed to restart the server frequently? I restart the server in 20-24hours(dedicated server) manually. is there a way to restart it automatically(7days dedicated windows server)

and is the alloc fixes must to have on the server?

omg I've asked too many questions 😂

When I had 2Mbit upload two years ago, I could host for just a single friend outside the network since A16, Having more started to lag when opening containers and such.

Archived