Why are the zombies bleeding to death?

Tourist

I always found the idea of zombies bleeding to death as very weird and something that probably shouldn't happen.  Also the idea of zombies burning to death, when we have zombies that look like that live in a forest fire, is also quite strange.  Personally I would like to see those two effects only hurt players and living animals but, like others have said, it's a game and we have to throw reality out the window at times, even though I hate that excuse lol.

We all knew it would happen one day. Humanity, for all the brilliant scientists and enlightened philosophers it produced over the centuries, could not alter or avoid its most basic impulses. And so it destroyed itself. In the years afterward, the few remaining brilliant scientists studied The Rot, as it was called - the virus which had infected the world's population in just a few short weeks. They don't have the whole story and maybe they never will, as The Rot continues to pick off The Clean (as they are called) - even brilliant scientists - one by one, day by day. The only silver lining, if you can call it that, is the occasional father, or daughter, or co-worker who succumbed provided the scientists with an up-close-and-personal test case to poke and prod and, eventually, dissect.

To the best of our understanding, The Rot has the following characteristics:

• It is spread through all bodily fluids, including sweat
  • The first 8-12 hours of infection are essentially flu-like, but with remarkably consistent reports of pain behind the right ear
  • Within 24 hours the victim will experience a fever in excess of 110F, which ought to be immediately fatal if not for other emerging symptoms:
    • The parts of the brain responsible for instinctual behaviors - hunger, flight/fight, procreation - appear to go into overdrive
    • Other parts of the brain nearly completely shut down
    • The immune and hemostatic responses "go crazy" (actual words of the scientists), resulting in, bizarrely, total immunity to normal diseases and poisons along with remarkable resistance to injury
      • In one case, a Clean man was attacked by his neighbor who had been infected 19 hours prior. During the fight the man severed the neighbor's arm with a chainsaw, after which the neighbor broke the man's neck and consumed his face and entrails. The amputated arm was discovered later with all severed blood vessels neatly closed off by hemostatic response, and the neighbor was found wandering the local town four days later.

(The Rot spread so quickly during the summer that numerous mass-casualty events occurred in cities and towns across the country. The infected attacked everything including other infected, resulting in gruesome - and otherwise fatal - injury to an estimated 65% of the population.)

• After 72-96 hours The Rot "burns itself out", is how they put it, though not entirely - the virus remains in the host and still highly contagious, but the physiological changes are subdued
    • The infected's immune system remains highly resistant to diseases and poison (besides The Rot of course)
    • The hemostatic response returns to normal, resulting in at least some chance for a Clean to survive an encounter with an infected
    • Brain function is nearly completely suppressed with the exception basic motor skills, basic perception, and a seeker/hunter behavior driven by hunger for flesh of The Clean
    • This hunger is as-yet unexplained as the metabolism of an infected "makes no f***ing sense" according to the scientists
  • Beyond 96 hours an infected appears to be permanently stable in his/her new state - long-term studies are ongoing, but so far no infected has ever perished while under study even for months at a time without "food"

Everybody asks: is there a cure for The Rot? The scientists will say things like, "we haven't found a cure yet" or "our study of The Rot has produced promising results" blah blah blah. Well I've got the real answer for you: no, there is no f***ing cure for The Rot. You get it, you're dead or as good as. If you feel a bit hot one evening, body aches, and man does your right ear hurt? Put a .44 into that right ear, man, because you don't want what's coming next...

Well, we have one zombie with a window in his skull, and let's not forget the rotten crawler dragging tendrils of his torso and innards behind him.  I'd say that would make them pretty much dead, but they can still bleed out if you stab them.  

I'm well aware of "suspension of disbelief"; when it makes sense in the current theme.  Dead, rotting corpses walking/running around is the apparent theme.  Having them bleed out when i stab them a couple of times is, in my opinion, contrary to that theme.

What do we know of "dead" vs "not dead" in 7D2D? It does not take very much imagination to describe a disease which both allows for grievous injury and also "death" due to fluid loss. I mean my imagination isn't that great and look what I came up with.

There is some tiny sliver of rationality people can cling to when arguing "realism" in a game with regard to tools, weapons, SI, food, whatever. But freaking monsters? Completely fictional monsters? Just apply a little imagination and move on to the argument about what tools should be in which crates.

Holy crap, how the hell did you even take into account playing a ZOMBIE game if you are that pedantic?

It's zombies! They don't exist, they are not realistic, no matter how ever you will define a zombie!

I hate people complaining about plotholes in an absolute unrealistic scenario.

It's like playing a space game and people complaining "but there is no way to travel faster than light"!!!ELF

11 minutes ago, Boidster said:

What do we know of "dead" vs "not dead" in 7D2D?

We know that death results in all status debuffs being healed, all hunger and thirst being changed to fullness, all of our belongings being packed into a backpack at our point of death and short delay to improving our survival abilities but other than that we really just keep on going as if it never really happened somehow. Why are people stunned about the way zombies bleed and yet okay with the way we live on after seeing ourselves get eaten in the last moments of our life?

Hey way back in Everquest...you could make skeletons bleed , freeze and be poisoned...aside from little jokes at its expense...nobody really cared...its a game and to make certain monsters , especially if they are the majority of the enemy in a game immune to lots of different spells and weapons...would just be tiresome...

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I hate people complaining about plotholes in an absolute unrealistic scenario.

It's like playing a space game and people complaining "but there is no way to travel faster than light"!!!ELF

Well, Thor has at one time traveled at multiple times the speed of light while Captain Marvel (whose power is some space light) can't even do light speed.

(keep in mind that digging too deep into comic book lore will get you into Arkham Asylum)

IMO, it's all an issue of internal consistency. Not that I'd bother to complain, it is zombies, but here goes my .. "highlighting of a highly inconsistent part of the topic":

If a stab to an arm can cause a bleed that will kill the entire being, I have trouble seeing how dismembering the same arm with a blunt object wouldn't cause sufficient bleeding for the entity to die. In any consistent lore for the "biology of the infected".

Sure, game mechanics, I'm fine with it. But the less inconsistencies the better, I suppose.

The virus has a defense mechanism for when major wounds happen.  It clots the blood and hardens the edges of the wound from the rest of the body almost immediately-- but this is only triggeres for major injuries like a gaping hole in the head or with complete amputation. For small puncture wounds and cuts the virus isn't triggered and so zombies can bleed to death from many cuts but keep going when limbs are cut off.

So consistent. All small wounds bleed and add up to death while all major injuries seal at the point of the wound and the zombie keeps going.

2 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Itself

Ok where exactly does 7d2d define how zombie "biology" works? Do they need blood flow or don't they? Wounds are not an exucese, they dont bleed all the time. So if you get ampute an arm, you have to die, because with an missing arm, you have to die?

You do not apply what 7d2d lore says, you apply what ever you assume to happen. And you are just complaining about 7d2d-logic doesn't fit what you are expecting. But what 7d2d does ist not what you personally expect. You are not the person that defines what 7d2d is used to do. If 7d2d does not fit what you expect, that's your personal problem. Deal with it or leave it.

Sure. Or the Deep Cuts perk gives the character an infinite supply of hypodermic needles to attach to the blade, and thus the bleeding effect is like taking small blood samples... that would be more consistent with the mechanic, and about as useful with regards to internal consistency resolution. As in, it still makes no sense, but whatever, magic.. ;)

3 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Deal with it or leave it.

I have a differing opinion to you about a minor tiny speck of a game we both like. I'll just return your words to you.

6 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

I always found the idea of zombies bleeding to death as very weird and something that probably shouldn't happen.  Also the idea of zombies burning to death, when we have zombies that look like that live in a forest fire, is also quite strange.  Personally I would like to see those two effects only hurt players and living animals but, like others have said, it's a game and we have to throw reality out the window at times, even though I hate that excuse lol.

Same for me. I dont know why there's some people losing their @%$# when someone just questions game mechanics or contextual anomalies (for lack of a better terme) regarding what could make sense or not.

When i first saw the blade weapon Mod, i thought "Oh, that's probably useful in PvP, against human players, cuz Zs dont bleed and even if they did, that's not gonna kill them". Is there someone who's gonna get mad at me for thinking something totally normal in the CONTEXT of zombies? Same thing for the Mod you put on a bow that deals extra damage to living beings, which in this case, again, i thought of both living animals and human characters.

"Omfg you cant say that zombies aint reaaaaal!!!". But yet, there's a context and here, its zombies. That's why we dont have stakes to put in their hearts or silver bullets to kill them...

If making sense isnt that important, why dont we have satanical unicorns to kill? Oh and with all the car wrecks scattered around, we should have zombie cars trying to run us over! And the only way to kill them would be to void the builder's warranty! Cthulhu could also just rise from a lake somewhere. While we're at it, its more than time to add a Cleric to the game. Can you imagine how Turn Undead would totally be badass here?

Zombies shouldnt bleed, but its fine, i wont lose any sleep over this. But its not a reason to freak the @%$# out if someone says it doesnt really make sense in this given context 😉

Some people have enough imagination to think about the game in terms of what might happen in real life and some inconsistencies like zombies being able to bleed to death will bother them.  Some people only focus on that this is a game and are perfectly fine with zombies being able to be killed by getting repeatedly punched in the foot but getting their arms and legs cut off with a fire axe is not enough to kill them.  Neither way is wrong and players can look at the game in any way they choose but that is no reason to start getting hostile towards others who have differing views on the subject than you.  Just be cool and enjoy discussing this fun game.

6 minutes ago, theFlu said:

I have a differing opinion to you about a minor tiny speck of a game we both like. I'll just return your words to you.

I'm not having a problem with the game mechanics. Currently Zombies bleed out. If the next update removes that, i'd be still fine and still won't ask a question why zombies stopped bleeding out. It's pointless, there is no universal  biology atlas that explains how zombies phyisics work you could refer to. The devs decide how the mechanic works, it they decide zombies can bleed out, it is like it is. The "why"-question is invalid, because the since there is no overal rulework, the answer is "because we decided it to work like this".

Archived