[idea] Put the perk Master Chef in the Fortitude perk tree.

Darklegend222

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, so I figured it would be a good idea to get everyone's input. Do you feel like the Master Chef perk belongs in the fortitude perk tree under the "survival perks"?

1. Fortitude is a perk tree EVERYONE should specialize in, especially if they're getting hit a lot or they want that much needed defense if they happen to get struck on harder difficulties.

2. It would make A LOT of sense for cooking to be under the exact same perk tree as "Living off the Land" which is the perk that SPECIFICALLY lets you craft farm plots AND seeds.

Master chef once was in the intellect tree, which i thought fitted better than Strength. But i agree that it also would go along nicely in fortitude.  However right now fortitude might be too OP if we would squeeze in another perk in it... Opinions?  (i never quite understood the logic of chef being in strength tree, so moving to either int or fort is the question!) 

58 minutes ago, Hyperbolt said:

i never quite understood the logic of chef being in strength tree

The explanation could be that one needs better food more urgently in strength than in most other trees.

Strength has two melee weapons and also everything that concerns resource gathering. Both melee combat and mining use up a lot of stamina and therefore you need higher quality food.

"Everyone should". No. You don´t need Fortitude. Not at all. 3 points in fortitude and 2 in living off the land is enough. And if you are lucky and find seeds early enough you even need only one point in living off the land. You can live from canned food for quite a while, i actually went living off the land level 2 only once in my SP games.

Fortitude is nice to have, but if you play it right you can easily avoid it.

It really depends on a playstyle and server settings what are the "mandatory" stats to have. 

In a grand scheme of things it does not really matter if one "must" got Fort 3 to get living off land level 2 or one "must" go Str 3 to get Cooking to level 2. Both trees have other perks as well one "needs" anyway - for example, the TRex in str which is in many builds a very mandatory skill to have. It must be somewhere, and as it stands it has been put under the strength. 

I, personally, would favor it to be removed altogehters, as a separate perk and distribute some of its effects between different stats and distribute some of the recipes between hunting (the meat recipes) and farming (the vegetable recipes) skills while moving, probably, the high end canned food recipes into a perception tree. 

I agree. Or, maybe remove it entirely and make it a book series and open up the early recipes (bacon and eggs, coffee and teas, the simple stuff). A recipe book series makes perfect sense to me. 

I only have an issue with it being under strength because to get the later levels in it for things like spaghetti, I need to be pretty deep into the strength tree and unless that suits my build, that's a lot of points I would like elsewhere.

I agree that it looks out of place in STR over Int or Fortitude.

Someone suggested, a few days ago, that we should have the Huntsman and Animal Tracker merged together. If that were to happen, it would "fix" the overload of perks on Fortitude, therefore, allowing space to get master chef moved there.

On 10/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Tehnomaag Makes no sense at all. My father could grow the best vegetables but he had no clue how to cook. Would be as misplaced there as it is right now in strenght. Same for meat, just because you can hunt, it doesn´t mean you can cook that meat properly.

There are many skills and mechanics that make little to no sense, logically in this game. In the end, however, it is a game. 

What would make some more sense would be the old a17 style grindy system where you get better by doing stuff. For example, when grilling meat you have high probability of getting charred meat and low probability of getting grilled meat and the more you do it the better you get at grilling meat and eventually you do almost always grilled meat and very rarely charred meat. 

But as it stands we have *ka-ching, magic learning* system where you have not cooked one meal in your life put you put some POINTS in there and all the sudden you are capable of cooking seventh wonder of the world. In such a system the recipes need to be somewhere and in my opinion in such a system it would make more sense to distribute these recipes into the other perks by looking where the synenergy lies. So, for example, beer would be sittting under  the knuckles skill (or fortitude as a stat), somewhere, because it has 300% bonus to knuckles damage, while cofee, because there is syneenergy with mining book series would be under STR, etc. There is certain logic there. 

@Tehnomaag Learning by doing isn´t coming back. They stated this several times already. That was back in A16 btw. A17 didn´t have this anymore.

Your idea sounds kinda logic. Problem is that in MP you can´t have a cook anymore. The miner would have to make coffee, the crafter with Int would have to bake the pumpkin cheesecake. You would need to spec into knuckles to get beer just to be able to make the learning elixir. And most meals would go into strenght again because they give you a stamina bonus.

I kinda wish some things were pulled out and/or split and put into a separate trees.

A basic "Survival" tree could enhance all aspects of survival to a point.  The survival tree might enhance cooking speed and decrease recipe requirements overall to a point. The cooking tree allows a player to further increase this and specialize into cooking. Each of the spec trees (Agility, Strength, etc) unlock recipes for special boosted foods related to their trees.

Repeat for crafting. The survival tree might enhance crafting speed and decrease recipe requirements overall to a point. The crafting tree allows a player to further increase this and specialize into crafting. Each of the spec trees (Agility, Strength, etc) unlock recipes for special items related to their trees.

Repeat for mining. Let strength increase mining damage, but also put some block damage in survival tree and put some block damage while mining in mining tree. Throw increased returns into the Mining tree. For someone to fully maximize, as with all the trees, they would need the basic Survival tree perks, the Strength, and the Mining.

For other things, skill percentages could be split up. For example, health. In Fortitude, divide the benefits in half. In the "Survival" tree, you can increase your max health, health regen etc... but only to a point. You go into Fortitude to enhance it further.

In Agility, the speed and movement benefits could be divided in half. In the "Survival" tree, you can increase your max stamina, stamina regen etc... but only to a point. You go into Agility to specialize in it and enhance it further.

Maybe half of the backpack slots are opened up in the Survival tree, but if you want to maximize this, then you need Strength.

Same can be done for almost anything. This allows players to improve their characters in all areas for survivability reasons without committing to a build and weapons set. The current system is very binary. Sure, tie these things a spec tree, but only to maximize and specialize. You should be able to enhance your character somewhat in every area that any player would need to survive without forcing full commitment. Particularly in single-player, a player needs to be well-rounded in skills at least to a degree. From there, choosing specialties should enhance some area and provide niche abilities.

Archived