Can we get rid of the... GPSing zombies when entering/inside a poi?

Scyris

42 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Liesel Weppen The point, is where do they suddenly come from? I recently wrenched all the cars around higashi tower. No Z showed up. As soon as i started using the wrench inside they were starting to come.

It´s like they hide all the time you are outside and only come out when you are inside.

As already explained from others above. There are random world spawns. There will ALWAYS spawn zombies. But they do spawn anywhere and are not heading towards you but wandering around randomly. That the world feels so empty is pushed by this behaviour. If you wrench the cars around the tower, once you reach the backside, zombies may spawn on the frontside and just walk away and you will never notice that there even has been a zombie.

It's even better visible with wandering hordes. We've seen dozens of wandering hordes, just walking by 50m from where we stood. Or we're coming out of a building and see they have just passed the building and are now walking straight away from us. I don't know how many wandering hordes we have already missed, just because nobody accidentially spotted them. I usually have the webmap open on my second screen and that shows the zombie count. If it suddenly increases from few to like 20 i know, there most likely spawned a wandering horde nearby. Sometimes, e.g. when sitting in our base anyway, i go out and search for them. Sometimes i even don't find them. Or while looting a large building, we just ignore them anyway. But IF they do pass by close and you make sound, they will get attracted. And that is the rare point when you suddenly have 20 Zs entering the building from the outside. The longer you stay in a small area, the more zombies you will see.

I didn't know the bread crumb system was still active. I can imagine it making trouble with increased zombie count, but with the default zombie count on the other hand it is almost not noticeable at all. How long is the breadcrumb line lasting? Both in length and duration?

@meganoth That was just an example that happened yesterday. It happens like that all the time.

@Laz Man  It was pregen01, snow biome.

@Liesel Weppen Why do i hardly ever see a zombie outside then, but as soon as i am in they start appearing from outside?

I just hope we will get more zombies again in the future. It´s really sad to see hardly any zombie outside in a game about a zombie apokalypse.

@Roland Is there any information on this? Really hoping that they don´t plan on keeping it like this. What use are good looking zombies when you can´t have a lot of them?

40 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@meganoth That was just an example that happened yesterday. It happens like that all the time.

@Laz Man  It was pregen01, snow biome.

@Liesel Weppen Why do i hardly ever see a zombie outside then, but as soon as i am in they start appearing from outside?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias maybe? (that happens to everyone. I often mistrust my own observations until I got some numbers to show me I'm right or wrong. And I have been wrong lots of times)

the logfile  (or maybe the debug window as well F1->dm->ESC->F3) shows spawns when they happen. Make a real test, Stay 5 minutes outside, do nothing, count how many zombies spawn, go inside for 5 minutes, do nothing, count how many zombies spawn, do this a few times. Then post the numbers. At the moment we have people seeing different things happen and no evidence at all.

21 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

First, selective perception. Second mentioned already above, because they indeed do lead by the breadcrumb system, especially if you increased the zombie count. And there are actions to make them come to you, e.g. noise. And staying in a limited area will increase the chance to meet zombies in general. If you loot a building, you stay a long time in a small area which means e.g. wandering hordes will come close to you (afaik they spawn somewhere and walk the direction to you where you have been while they spawned) and little noise may then draw their attention. If you are outside people usually move a lot in a short time. Looting the cars around higashi does not even take 5 minutes, looting higashi takes an hour or more.

From my observations, there are like 2-3 spawns of wandering hordes per day. When sitting in a base or looting one building for a longer time you will take notice of most of them. While you are moving, you most likely will not even notice a single one. They spawn somewhere and walk in a certain direction. Basically only chance to ever see them is the rare occasion that they spawned directly in front of you, walking towards you and you will also not turn. In every other case, you will just bypass each other with more or less distance and once you moved far enough away, they will just despawn, not even noticing that there happened something.

I did this for abandoned_house_02 in the burnt biome on PREGEN02. Used dev pistol to kill all zombies in surrounding blocks (to ensure timer gets reset) then used killall to wipe the rest of spawns on the map. Went inside POI and waited. No zombies spawned in 5 minutes.

image.thumb.png.b8cc1eae2d059a5834c4d216298b4d97.png

6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I just hope we will get more zombies again in the future. It´s really sad to see hardly any zombie outside in a game about a zombie apokalypse.

@Roland Is there any information on this? Really hoping that they don´t plan on keeping it like this. What use are good looking zombies when you can´t have a lot of them?

Hard to say. Right now their first priority is to add all the features and so whenever they make gains it is make it possible for them to add in whatever new feature they want. At some point perhaps gains in performance will be translated to having more spawning enemies.

The random encounter system that Madmole mentioned in the past is also a strategy they plan to use. Basically, they will extrapolate your path and then place something in your way. That could be some survivors being overwhelmed by a zombie horde that you could watch or intercede, it could just be a bunch of zombies roaming around, it could be a traveling trader, or it could be anything else they concoct. The point is that without having to actually populate the entire world with NPCs and zombies they can place them in your path so that the world seems fuller.

It has been a long while since that was mentioned so hopefully it is still on the table and planned.

The relationship between spawning.xml and gamestages.xml frightens and confuses me. If anybody knows where some updated docs might be, please share!

Anywho, I notice these in gamestages.xml, which certainly imply POI-specific hordes that can spawn:

image.png.351bf6d964160275bd298eb059b497f9.png

I dunno if these pop up around POIs at random times or if they're triggered by entering the POI or maybe just placeholders for future game behaviors? <shrug>

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I don't know why I am the only one that finds this very noticeable even in vanilla. Maybe because I tend to go slowly, looting & wrenching just about everything (although I'm getting better about only taking valuables/@%$# I need vs everything)

All too often I have to stop what I am doing and go open a can of whoop-ass on the zed outside beating on the walls and generally carrying on. I mean come on, I'm trying to sneak room to room silently assassinating zeds, I need quiet!

I realize it is always going to be a trade-off between the fact that we can't just have large hordes roaming around all over the place vs being able to clear an area for a period of time but feeling too much the center of zombie attention no matter how I play gets old.

Archived