Steam not showing Latest Build

Grinderbloke

If there is no experimental build showing Beta's it is either dev only at present or being adjusted.

Hope this helpsspacer.png

image.thumb.png.31ba8c167f36099ba9e7cecab9955473.png

There's also the possibility that a select group of servers are running an unlisted version.  Of which you wont be able to access unless agreed beforehand

3 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

I guess dev simply closed the access to unstable builds, so from now on you'll have to input a code in a window below to gain access to unstable builds((

They didn't close access to unstable builds. There just isn't a current unstable build for us to play on. 

It worked the same way with the first a19 stable. When it went stable, there was no longer an option to play on latest unstable because they hadn't released a new experimental yet. Once they released the new experimental (which is the build that just went stable), the option to play latest experimental opened back up.

The only way to get a19.1 is to set steam to "None - Opt out of all beta programs" which is the default that everyone should be on. Where it says "alpha 19.0 - Alpha 19.0 Stable" that will only change to a19.1 once a19.2 Stable is released to the main "None - Opt out of all beta programs" branch. Which considering that a19.2 is not even in experimental yet will be quite awhile.

The only reason to ever be on anything but "None - Opt out of all beta programs" is to either use "latest experimental - unstable" when a active experimental build is in testing or to tell Steam that you do not want the latest version.

Also the option for "latest experimental - unstable" only exists when they are actively testing a experimental build and want us to test it. Otherwise it does not exist and will kick everyone over to the last build they were on. Which should be "None - Opt out of all beta programs" as that is where the stable build will be moved over to for release to everyone on Steam.

Edit - Also the last Experimental build is always identical to the Stable version of it as when they release it they just move over to "None - Opt out of all beta programs". So all the people freaking  about 'oh no the server I play on says I need experimental but it is gone' are freaking out about nothing beyond the server owner being lazy about updating the description.

3 hours ago, Danidas said:

The only reason to ever be on anything but "None - Opt out of all beta programs" is to either use "latest experimental - unstable" when a active experimental build is in testing or to tell Steam that you do not want the latest version.

I do wish the latest stable would actually show up in the list, giving me the option of a) being on the latest stable and b) not moving off of it when another stable comes out. We tend to leave our dedicated server on a particular stable version until significant (to us) changes have shown up in subsequent stable releases. That might mean skipping one or two stable releases so we can continue playing on our world without restarting.

It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying to have to wipe and revert the client back to the previous stable after Steam helpfully auto-upgrades me to the latest. Like I will have to do when 19.2 comes out and I need to stay on 19.1. If I could just pick 19.1 in the list right now, that would be jake. I know (or presume) that this is a Steam issue, not a TFP issue.

37 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I do wish the latest stable would actually show up in the list, giving me the option of a) being on the latest stable and b) not moving off of it when another stable comes out. We tend to leave our dedicated server on a particular stable version until significant (to us) changes have shown up in subsequent stable releases. That might mean skipping one or two stable releases so we can continue playing on our world without restarting.

It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying to have to wipe and revert the client back to the previous stable after Steam helpfully auto-upgrades me to the latest. Like I will have to do when 19.2 comes out and I need to stay on 19.1. If I could just pick 19.1 in the list right now, that would be jake. I know (or presume) that this is a Steam issue, not a TFP issue.

Its a TFP issue as they are the ones that have full control over what appears in that list. Which is why the last stable is listed when ever a new stable is released.

22 minutes ago, Danidas said:

Its a TFP issue as they are the ones that have full control over what appears in that list.

Hmm, really? It would surprise me if Steam did not have an automated mechanism to keep track of older versions and keep the list up to date, so that "Opt out of all betas" behaved identically for all Steam games. Like any (non-gaming) pull/publish code library, where "latest version" is one option and then all older versions are listed if you need to roll back. If TFP has to manually curate the list of available versions in Steam, that would be a pretty poor design on Steam's part. <shrug> Whoever controls it I guess I wish the latest stable was listed as an option so I could lock into it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 2:55 PM, katarynna said:

They didn't close access to unstable builds. There just isn't a current unstable build for us to play on. 

It worked the same way with the first a19 stable. When it went stable, there was no longer an option to play on latest unstable because they hadn't released a new experimental yet. Once they released the new experimental (which is the build that just went stable), the option to play latest experimental opened back up.

Exactly ! 

On 9/27/2020 at 6:31 PM, Boidster said:

Its not a steam issue, its the way its set now most hosts used to leave the server updating game via steam to you.. Now its auto, I guess its a choice change by TFP due to query influx or a majority rquest

On 9/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, Boidster said:

I do wish the latest stable would actually show up in the list, giving me the option of a) being on the latest stable and b) not moving off of it when another stable comes out. We tend to leave our dedicated server on a particular stable version until significant (to us) changes have shown up in subsequent stable releases.

Not just that, it's overall very anoying that steam doesn't let you play a previous version once it detected an update, but the server isn't updated yet.

That's a fault of steam not TFP, but it still drives me crazy. Imho a workaround would be to leave every minor version accessible separately until the next major version is released.

(I'm also anoyed of people that are uncaple of using google, but take the overhead to create an account in the forums, wait for registration and then wait for answers for a question, that could have been answered by 2 minutes of google....)

Archived