What to Upgrade

Telric

So I have some cash laying around and debating to upgrade some parts on my PC. I basically play 7dtd for about 90% of the time and other games the rest, so I'd like some input on what I should upgrade to get 7dtd running as well as I can. Not too worried about other games. Here are my specs atm...

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.00 (not overclocked)

32g ram

Asus z97-E mobo
GTX 970 x2 (sli together)
Windows 10

This computer is by no means bad, but I feel I could upgrade something to get even more out of 7dtd. So gimme some ideas on what I should focus on upgrading and some recommendations.

18 minutes ago, Telric said:

I have some cash laying around

Depends on how much cash. You can test if you are cpu or gpu bound with afterburner or some such. I would guess that you are

gpu bound with that setup, so I'd get a 3080, then next time I had some cash, I upgrade the cpu/motherboard.

Also, why not overclock that cpu?

7 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Depends on how much cash. You can test if you are cpu or gpu bound with afterburner or some such. I would guess that you are

gpu bound with that setup, so I'd get a 3080, then next time I had some cash, I upgrade the cpu/motherboard.

Also, why not overclock that cpu?

I figure most of this computer is quite out dated considering i built it several years ago. 5 or 6 or so. As for the overclocking, i never learned how to do all that. I just built the computer and was fine with it as is..

The "stone" is not that bad at all, you can still do some experiments with it in terms of overclocking. I would also go for video card swap as 970x2 is a bit outdated. Going for 3080 is cool, but you will smash it against your processor so it is a bit pointless unless you plat to change to something newer in terms of motherboard and processor along with new memory. I would say 1070 or 2060 would do the job, or a 3060 when it comes out, it should be around the price of 300-400$ when the upper models prices would start from 600?$ And you still can sell you 970x2 for some money.

3 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

The "stone" is not that bad at all, you can still do some experiments with it in terms of overclocking. I would also go for video card swap as 970x2 is a bit outdated. Going for 3080 is cool, but you will smash it against your processor so it is a bit pointless unless you plat to change to something newer in terms of motherboard and processor along with new memory. I would say 1070 or 2060 would do the job, or a 3060 when it comes out, it should be around the price of 300-400$ when the upper models prices would start from 600?$ And you still can sell you 970x2 for some money.

Hmm i might look into a 2070 for the 2 extra GB.. roughly same price as 2060.. don't quite have enough for the 3080 just laying around lol..

You didn't say if you already have an SSD. If not, that is the best investment for money ATM. For buying graphics cards (even if it must be an nvidia) I would wait at least for AMDs answer and better availability of the newer cards, because then the older cards will likely drop in price a further step.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

You didn't say if you already have an SSD. If not, that is the best investment for money ATM. For buying graphics cards (even if it must be an nvidia) I would wait at least for AMDs answer and better availability of the newer cards, because then the older cards will likely drop in price a further step.

I do have an SSD but everything isnt on it.. I just put steam on it, so the appdata and my actual OS are on an HDD still. Been meaning to get around to wiping everything and putting OS on the SSD, but just havent.

If you don't have one, and I think your mobo supports it, get an m.2 (if you can, NVME). Either way, having 7 Days on an SSD is a drastic improvement. Most games you're just looking at load time improvement, sometimes here and there with texture streaming, but 7 Days utilizes your storage a lot. I had to test something real quick in A18.4 (one and done, 5 mins) so I just threw it on my HDD (although it's a fast HDD). I was almost disgusted at the difference LOL

Having your OS on it is nice, but at least put 7 Days on it :)

1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

If you don't have one, and I think your mobo supports it, get an m.2 (if you can, NVME). Either way, having 7 Days on an SSD is a drastic improvement. Most games you're just looking at load time improvement, sometimes here and there with texture streaming, but 7 Days utilizes your storage a lot. I had to test something real quick in A18.4 (one and done, 5 mins) so I just threw it on my HDD (although it's a fast HDD). I was almost disgusted at the difference LOL

Having your OS on it is nice, but at least put 7 Days on it :)

How do i do that exactly? Like i said, i have steam installed on that SSD, so all the config files and such are downloaded onto the SSD, but the actual world files (which i'd assume would be the key items to increase performance) are all on my main HDD where my OS is. %appdata% stuff... That could give me the little bump i am looking for in itself.

13 minutes ago, Telric said:

How do i do that exactly? Like i said, i have steam installed on that SSD, so all the config files and such are downloaded onto the SSD, but the actual world files (which i'd assume would be the key items to increase performance) are all on my main HDD where my OS is. %appdata% stuff... That could give me the little bump i am looking for in itself.

I'd have to think about that one, maybe look and see if that path is changable. I know you can move the game over through steam but... hm.

Either way, I'd look into moving your OS over as well. I like to use my m.2 as my OS and important games/files/programs drive I need to frequently use, and I have my HDD as a mass storage for large files, videos, games that don't need an SSD, Chrome/Firefox, etc. 

48 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

@SylenThunderoutlines how to move the save folder in this thread.

I've done it and it works for saving your worlds and savegame data to a different drive.

If you want to play a pre-existing game, you'd have to move those games to the new

folder location as well.

Awesome, ill do that and see how it affects my performance.

Archived