Why are the devs screwing over agi/stealth in their POI design?

Tehnomaag

2 hours ago, Jenshae said:

... and back to our regular scheduled programming before a mod closes down this thread for drama ...

I can think of one reason Thief mechanics would be challenging to implement. In Thief they have fixed scenes in which, they can simply manually demarcate where you are concealed in shadows and by how much.

7 Days to Die would have to add up factors and light sources. 
- Objects of one block or two between player and zombie, player using % of that concealment. (Moving to peak the corner, standing on a quarter block behind a single full block, etc)
-  Camouflage factors. (Under a tree, in grass, ect)
- Direction of light sources and where shadows would be, plus recalculating them if a light source is shot with an arrow. (This would be the worst one to figure out, however, I think it would have amazing aesthetic benefits with different depths to shadows.)

The thing is the devs have officially stated multiple times that this isn't a stealth game nor is it ever going to be as they have no intention of making it one. Instead stealth is nothing more then a tacked on feature to check off the "Does game have Stealth?" check box with just the basic framework to make it mostly work. The same as brawling checks off the "Can you play by punching zombies to death?" check box with a similar degree of effort from the devs to make it mostly work.

As a result of this it's foolish to expect anything beyond basic minimal effort from the devs with a "Keep it Simple Stupid" or KISS approach. Especially when you consider that multiple times the devs have indicated that their top focus is hitting the Gold status in the game so they can move on to the next game. Which they still have a large chunk of game to do including the most difficult part in the form of NPCs who will literally be a massive game changer. As we are getting enemies with guns who will be far more deadly than anything we have now. Also lets not forget the special infected who will impact the classic run and gun play style the most as combined with NPCs it will be far easier to deal with them via stealth. 

Now as for stealth in A20 we already know that they may tweak the very rarely used Awake Sleeper Volume to be less destructive and easier for them to use. As a result the zombies will most likely end up awake and wondering their spawn area but not destroying everything in their way. Which will create hyper alert zombies that are harder to predict to spice up stealth. Other then that the realist in me strongly doubts that we will see much more in regards to stealth.

Personally I still enjoy playing stealth in this game quite a lot but I know and respect the reality that it will never be good enough to forgo the rest of the game to focus completely on.

5 hours ago, Jenshae said:

... and back to our regular scheduled programming before a mod closes down this thread for drama ...

If anything, this thread will be closed for cycling through the same arguments and repeating the same content already posted several times by people who obviously haven’t read through it all...

2 hours ago, Danidas said:

The thing is the devs have officially stated multiple times that this isn't a stealth game nor is it ever going to be as they have no intention of making it one.

They also have no intention of changing areas that they intend to be a surprise (even if it only works once) by placing telltale signs that it is coming. 

They also will not add cosmetic visible triggers for the ambush that might make players think that such areas can be de-activated—which would then result in overwhelming demands for such mechanics. 

I get that for some, these things anger you and you don’t like the design choice. I get the frustration of anyone who prefers some game mechanic and wishes the devs would devote more time on that mechanic to make it deeper and feels disappointed to realize that the devs plan to keep that mechanic simple and abstract because it isn’t their focus. The Pimp Dreams section is filled with ideas of people who want to see this or that superficial aspect of the game get more TLC and rival other games they’ve played that were dedicated to those features. 

• Like 1