A19 Diary Discussions

Jay_ombie

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

The bug in question is regarding the distant POI mesh that appears when the user is a certain distance away.  The problem is that for some folks, the mesh doesn't go away when they get near the POI.

If you have a consistent repro of this please head over to the bug forums and submit a report of it so it can get handled properly.  Thanks.

If I had the time I'd like to see if both problems are linked, the building LOD version would just be more noticable.

Alas, I have absolutely zero free time at the moment, although it might be an avenue of research for somebody to check.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

So in other words you're wasting development time. Unless you can find a way to reliably replicate the issue and then report it to the bug forums professionally, then either keep at it or deal with it until it's fixed, and if it isn't, then so be it.

Have you also considered that this just might be a you problem? Perhaps your computer is having issues, or you didn't restart your world when one of the latest patches released.

Disclaimer: There's a difference between a possible oversight and a bug; this is obviously the latter.

I wouldn't know until I test it more. In the mean time, I made a comment here. Boop.

It's a clean restart with full wipe, never mods and new world. I have the game since 2014, so I know the drill : full wipe and appdata delete EACH patch, AND each alpha OR each time my cat coughs.

2 hours ago, jorbascrumps said:

That's not how this works, though. If the issue could be from a wide range of factors, as you say, then a dev is not going to waste their time tracking it down. As faatal said, he has not seen a ticket with repro steps and therefore has not looked at it. I can almost guarantee he won't until he receives a ticket. They have a testing team for a reason - to validate bugs and pass along repro steps to the devs so they can fix.

So no offence but what you'd rather do is a waste of everyone's time.

It's ok. That's why I posted here In case it's not a wide range of factors or is a known issue. But mainly because I'm still testing it until being 100% sure. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Eighmy_Lupin said:

Considering TFP have repeatedly said that having the zombies fit into their environment  is part of the plan and its their game, yeah. 

If you're this desperate to see boobs I suggest using google....

Yeah; it's cuz "I wanna see boobs". You're the boob.

5 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

So in other words you're wasting development time. Unless you can find a way to reliably replicate the issue and then report it to the bug forums professionally, then either keep at it or deal with it until it's fixed, and if it isn't, then so be it.

Have you also considered that this just might be a you problem? Perhaps your computer is having issues, or you didn't restart your world when one of the latest patches released.

Disclaimer: There's a difference between a possible oversight and a bug; this is obviously the latter.

Mech, too many people ave had this problem to be just him. there are many posts. hell, I posted about it in early alpha 19 pre exp 169, posted pics, Madmole commented on it saying it was seen before but couldnt figure it out

25 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

Mech, too many people ave had this problem to be just him. there are many posts. hell, I posted about it in early alpha 19 pre exp 169, posted pics, Madmole commented on it saying it was seen before but couldnt figure it out

I also have the problem. Just did a clean restart and it happened a couple hours ago. Just trying to eliminate all possible factors. The issue is it seems to happen at random. If there isn't a reliable way to replicate it, then it falls onto the devs to figure things out if they can.

18 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I also have the problem. Just did a clean restart and it happened a couple hours ago. Just trying to eliminate all possible factors. The issue is it seems to happen at random. If there isn't a reliable way to replicate it, then it falls onto the devs to figure things out if they can.

Here, I was able to reproduce. It's not random. It happens just after generation.

20 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Here, I was able to reproduce. It's not random. It happens just after generation.

I have to load the game, log out, load back in to clear it every time I load lately. but my wife on a potato loads just fine. but this experimental is the worst. before this I didnt have it as often, maybe 1 in 5 loadings of the game, not it is more like 3 out of 4 times I have to reload the game to get it to go away. and this is just 2 minutes into game play. but, not in a reproducible way.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:01 AM, Roland said:

The devs are very supportive of mods and have designed their game as a platform that encourages it. However, mods are not the official development direction of TFP and this particular thread is for asking questions and receiving answers from the developers regarding the official development of the game. So bringing up mods here is discouraged. The devs have their roadmap planned. They know exactly what they want to put into the game and how they want to go about it. So they really aren't taking suggestions from mods. They support their existence but don't want to field a whole bunch of "Darkness Falls does A, B, C so could you put that in the main game?" type of questions or comments. Their answer is going to be for you to go play Darkness Falls to experience A, B. and C since it is there for you to download. 

Really, at this point in development, they are past the point of taking suggestions at all for new features. They still want feedback regarding balance and pacing and of course bug reports. But for feature suggestions they are going to stick with their own list that they already have and encourage us to mod in features we want that they aren't planning.

I didn't realize the Bug Report forum is not visible any longer. I see it still but I suppose it must be gone. To my eyes, the banner and the forum were redundant but I will return the banner for ease of reporting since nobody else can see the bug report forum.

Sometimes, single mods and modlets actually improve on the balance of the game. So if the devs want feedback on balance, bringing up a mod that improves that balance is valid and should not be dismissed just because some mod author thought of it as well. This entire reply from you doesn't make much sense to me. Don't ask for my feedback unless you can take it on board without bias. Yeah sure, the devs have a roadmap already, but the mere fact that they have this forum for us to provide feedback proves that the devs know they aren't perfect. No body is. To suggest that any feedback is invalid is basically saying they don't want to hear it. If that's the case then why bother having this forum thread here? No, I think it more likely that MM got annoyed once or twice and the rest of you took that as a new rule that mods are taboo. Hopefully, (and i think its likely that) MM isn't so unreasonable that he can't see when a mod provides balance to the vanilla game and that it would be beneficial for him and his team to include it in the base game. It's not about mods vs vanilla - its about how many minds are better than a few. 

On 9/11/2020 at 11:24 PM, Jugginator said:

I tested out stealth quite a bit after several complaints; from the shadows works rather well. Besides sneaking, without the perk zombies would wake up and hear me shooting silenced weapons, with it, barely heard a thing. Those attack volume sleepers you say break stealth can be negated by, at quite a few points in testing it, simply moving a little bit crouched and they'll lose track of you letting you get that sneak damage again on it. Several times I was sneaking right next to a zombie that charged at me. If you could never wake up attack volume zombies and have it just as good as it is now, from the shadows would be a stupid thing not to take, because you could just crouch-sprint through every poi in the game.

IDK what I'm doing wrong then. If I can be bothered I will post a video comparing shotgun speed run and sneaky silenced handgun run through the same POI. I have never recorded before and it sounds like a big task. I likely wont do it, because the sad fact is, I don't feel heard by the devs on this one. They have made up their minds and even if i prove its not really viable, they still wont take it on board. Again, why even bother having this forum...

On 9/12/2020 at 12:36 PM, SnowDog1942 said:

Some of us real men like breast jiggle physics.  Give it a few years and chest hairs.  You may learn to love it.

Can we please keep discussions civil? This is a bully move and toxic masculinity at its most shameful. Honestly, this is ridiculous behavior and I am more than a little concerned that this sort of thing is not moderated. More often than not, this forum feels like a bunch of poop stirrers doing their best to derail any discussion that doesn't align with their own goals. 

4 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

I have to load the game, log out, load back in to clear it every time I load lately. but my wife on a potato loads just fine. but this experimental is the worst. before this I didnt have it as often, maybe 1 in 5 loadings of the game, not it is more like 3 out of 4 times I have to reload the game to get it to go away. and this is just 2 minutes into game play. but, not in a reproducible way.

Restarting Steam is a bother, but it always works. Restarting just the game doesn't. It's all in the repro steps in my report. 

The Memory leak also happens when steam updates or forced syncs with the game while playing. But that is a whole other bone to chew.

4k maps use much less Memory than 8k ones, both total and over time. Playing 4k maps is perfect for performance on medium-lower end systems. There's an "automatic clearing reset" that tries to prevent too much memory from ramping up. Needless to say that it doesn't even guarantee a butter smooth 8 hours-straight experience much less a reliable or stable server Memory consumption over a couple of days.

Be aware that Multiplayer games use ~2 times the RAM + around 1 CPU core more per each 1 player joined (if available) and the GPU's Dedicated Memory use + Ram usage ramps up quicker over time for some reason.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Eko said:

Can we please keep discussions civil? This is a bully move and toxic masculinity at its most shameful. Honestly, this is ridiculous behavior and I am more than a little concerned that this sort of thing is not moderated. More often than not, this forum feels like a bunch of poop stirrers doing their best to derail any discussion that doesn't align with their own goals. 

Thanks for the advice, I bought a Gillette to shave away my toxic masculinity.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Thanks for the advice, I bought a Gillette to shave away my toxic masculinity.

Sad... i look like a cave man!

And im going to say that way! :)

Plus the lady's Love Beards! 

4 hours ago, Eko said:

Spoiler

you serious? - J. Jonah Jameson - You Serious? | Meme Generator

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Eko said:

Sometimes, single mods and modlets actually improve on the balance of the game. So if the devs want feedback on balance, bringing up a mod that improves that balance is valid and should not be dismissed just because some mod author thought of it as well. This entire reply from you doesn't make much sense to me. Don't ask for my feedback unless you can take it on board without bias. Yeah sure, the devs have a roadmap already, but the mere fact that they have this forum for us to provide feedback proves that the devs know they aren't perfect. No body is. To suggest that any feedback is invalid is basically saying they don't want to hear it. If that's the case then why bother having this forum thread here? No, I think it more likely that MM got annoyed once or twice and the rest of you took that as a new rule that mods are taboo. Hopefully, (and i think its likely that) MM isn't so unreasonable that he can't see when a mod provides balance to the vanilla game and that it would be beneficial for him and his team to include it in the base game. It's not about mods vs vanilla - its about how many minds are better than a few. 

It is easier if you tell them what is wrong with the balance of the base game instead of listing a mod that improves that part. Because otherwise they would need to download the mod and analyze it. Why should they? Just tell them whats wrong in the vanilla game. Then they decide if and what to change. That may be a different change than the mod does because they have different goals for the vanilla game than the mod author and you.

The mods-are-off-topic rule is from Madmole himself.

IDK what I'm doing wrong then. If I can be bothered I will post a video comparing shotgun speed run and sneaky silenced handgun run through the same POI. I have never recorded before and it sounds like a big task. I likely wont do it, because the sad fact is, I don't feel heard by the devs on this one. They have made up their minds and even if i prove its not really viable, they still wont take it on board. Again, why even bother having this forum...

You are already telling yourself "If I prove it, they still won't change their minds". Are you clairvoyant or trying to find a way to blame them for your inability to convince them of your opinion. Now I think TFP really are opinionated hardheads, ............ just like almost every other person on earth. It takes effort to make someone change their mind.

You also can't know if you have been heard. If you gave someone in TFPs team food for thought it just might mean that some tester or Madmole will test AGI again and it becomes a discussion topic in some meeting and eventually something is changed and that might as well be in A20.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

13 hours ago, sillls said:

I spawned in the Pine forest in front of a trailer. I was checking out a car there and  got attacked by a dog.

If at any poi there is a doghouse, there may spawn a dog. So if you don't know a poi, it's always a good idea to walk around first (with some distance) and look for such signs. Maybe even on the backside of the building stands written "be aware of bears"... ;)

19 minutes ago, zWolfer said:

yes, this is a criticism... Who is the guy who design the zombies? I think its gonna be an old conservative man because all we have are white zombies, strong males, weak and sexualized females.. There is a lot of zombies, just the screamer is "correct" and one asian and the hungry female.. I mean, wtf guys, i know its a game but let do this in a good way. thx bye

There definitely should be more black zombies and for Arizona a hispanic might be appropriate too.

But wtf, what have you been looking at? There are at least 3 weak males (including the asian, the surfer guy, the bussiness man). There are one or two strong females. Except for the party girl and maybe Trader Jen there are no sexualized females (unless you really have a few strange fetishes 😉).

Do you really think TFP will listen to you if you kill your own argument with hyperbole?

2 minutes ago, meganoth said:

There definitely should be more black zombies and for Arizona a hispanic might be appropriate too.

But wtf, what have you been looking at? There are at least 3 weak males (including the asian, the surfer guy, the bussiness man). There are one or two strong females. Except for the party girl and maybe Trader Jen there are no sexualized females (unless you really have a few strange fetishes 😉).

Do you really think TFP will listen to you if you kill your own argument with hyperbole?

Are you playing the same game as i am? Its not about having 1 or 2 weak males, it is about we only have a single special female that isn't even strong: the screamer, one shoot shes dead.. Fat female is a little strong just having more health points, but shes not like the havaians, soldiers, fat police officer, spider, demolisher, feral zombie, biker, frozen lumberjack.. You see what I mean? All of the strongest zombies are male.. Still nurse zombie is more like a stripper too..

I've been getting in some good a19 time and wanted to ask about the biome fog in the burnt forest and wasteland. It's really atmospheric and spooky, which is great however it's not so great when you're flying over those biomes in the gyro. You can't see anything unless you fly close to the ground, but then you end up crashing into buildings and mountains that appear right in front of you out of no where. I had a look at the xml and couldn't find a way to change the density of it other than weather fog, i did find something in another xml but that was a global setting for day and night. So for now i've just added the snow biomes spectrum to those biomes.

Is there any possibility of something like biome fog having altitude, so it only goes so high above the ground? or maybe something like flying goggles that work similarly to night vision. but you can see through fog with them .

Spoiler

7_Days_to_Die_Screenshot_2020_09.13_-_20_34_24_28.thumb.png.0a085969b8c1b4940afc36f5519307e2.png

19 minutes ago, zWolfer said:

Are you playing the same game as i am? Its not about having 1 or 2 weak males, it is about we only have a single special female that isn't even strong: the screamer, one shoot shes dead.. Fat female is a little strong just having more health points, but shes not like the havaians, soldiers, fat police officer, spider, demolisher, feral zombie, biker, frozen lumberjack.. You see what I mean? All of the strongest zombies are male.. Still nurse zombie is more like a stripper too..

That should hopefully be addressed with A20 as they are redoing a lot of the zombies and adding in more special ones.

8 minutes ago, Danidas said:

That should hopefully be addressed with A20 as they are redoing a lot of the zombies and adding in more special ones.

I dont think so, cuz this occurs since A15 when a lot of zombies were added to the game, and of all of them, none was non-white or non-weak females. They added the hungry female in A15 i guess, but like i said, shes not "special" she just have more health points because she is "fat"..

Edited by zWolfer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, zWolfer said:

yes, this is a criticism... Who is the guy who design the zombies? I think its gonna be an old conservative man because all we have are white zombies, strong males, weak and sexualized females.. There is a lot of zombies, just the screamer is "correct" and one asian and the hungry female.. I mean, wtf guys, i know its a game but let do this in a good way....

Agreed, hopefully this is addressed in a future update. And not just ticking boxes either, like, properly done, and not just for diversity reasons, but for realism as well. (ie Not any of that, "Well, there's your black zombie! Why are y'all still complaining? *Proceeds to add another 50 white zombies*)

Also, not all of the zombies are sexualized. Weak, unfortunately, but not all are put in there for lewd reasons. The Screamer comes to mind as you already pointed out, as well as Big Mama, Darlene, Arlene, the lab coat zombie, probably others. (I've been sleeping on and off tonight so I'm surprised I remembered that many.)

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Agreed, hopefully this is addressed in a future update. And not just ticking boxes either, like, properly done, and not just for diversity reasons, but for realism as well. (ie Not any of that, "Well, there's your black zombie! Why are y'all still complaining? *Proceeds to add another 50 white zombies*)

Also, not all of the zombies are sexualized. Weak, unfortunately, but not all are put in there for lewd reasons. The Screamer comes to mind as you already pointed out, as well as Big Mama, Darlene, Arlene, the lab coat zombie, probably others. (I've been sleeping on and off tonight so I'm surprised I remembered that many.)

Yeah, but just to be clear, when i said female zombies are weak and sexualized, what i mean is of all female zombies, all of them are weak, and some of them are sexualized.