Jump to content

A19 Diary Discussions


Jay_ombie
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Grandpa Minion said:

Does anyone know how long it takes steam to update a 19.1 stable branch ?

everytime a new stable hits players have to go through this and it confuses alot of players who dont know they have to opt out to get the new branch.

Captureadsfa.png.f2a7da875ce0e8416d3c6e19a8100a9d.png

currently im looking at the server list of servers on a19.1 its very obvious alot of players haven't switched to a19.1 more than likely because they dont know you have to opt out.

 

in my opinion this issue should have been addressed a long time ago as it doesnt make sense to continue to confuse the player base.

The last experimental patch that was released and a19.1 are literally the same exact thing. So it should not matter at all if your on None or Latest Experimental.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

obviously you must boptions.PNG.84f9035438fc078eda75356941f9d2fb.PNGe confused to :  ill try to make it more simpler for you to understand this time: when players dont see an option for a19.1 stable to choose theyll remain on the a19.0 stable branch because they  assume two things : First: if they opt out their choosing an experimental branch when in fact that branch is a19.1 stable, Two alot of players wont play experimental. Either way alot of players dont realize in order to get a19.1 stable right now you have to opt out since there is no option in steam to choose a19.1 stable. This goes back to my original question: Does anyone know how long it takes steam to update the branch to a19.1 so players arent confused?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay your talking about where it says "Alpha10.0 - Alpha 19.0 Stable" no one should be on that as the default is "None - Opt out of all beta programs" for everyone unless they manually changed it. Which anyone that has the default set will automatically get a19.1 as a normal steam update to the game with out ever needing to do anything.

 

In other words the only point to ever set that to anything but "None - Opt out of all beta programs" is to opt into a beta by picking "Latest Experimental - Unstable" or pick a specific version to tell steam that you never want a automatic update.

Edited by Danidas (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Hello again @faatal . Another a19.1 b8 performance post.

 

This time around I detected a problem with the AIDirector . AIDirector aka the horde troll knows that spawning entities all at once results in a freeze of 5-15 seconds to an already taxed cpu (that hurt). 

The freeze was the hardest I've ever seen. 4 entities at the same second. My 2.7ghz 4C/8T said nope for quite a while there.

 

Here's the screenshot, check that 19:52:26 timestamp :

 

20200925195241_1.thumb.jpg.07f5e1cad8ca0d67cd7b208896087a2f.jpg

 

I don't know if it's an easy fix. The solution would be to force the AIDirector to spawn each entity every 2 seconds. Ideally each one on readjusted coordinates from each other (to account for entities moving) provided that they still aren't noticed by the player. But the main problem is not the conga line, but the performance hit.

 

 

Not sure I want them to fix that. Means my "spidey sense" for when to prep for a large wandering horde would be gone... 😁🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Not sure I want them to fix that. Means my "spidey sense" for when to prep for a large wandering horde would be gone... 😁🤣

So true. Lower end Pcs can "sense" the horde spawning since .........wow,  it's been many alphas already.

 

Edit: @Gazz , have you seen this one ?

 

 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, Roland said:

Oh boy...encouraging AND has an androgynous avatar. Pure SnowDog bait.

Rude, it’s a female avatar. I’m going to give you a knuckle rub.

On 9/23/2020 at 1:34 PM, SnowDog1942 said:

Oh its great to meet you too.  From what you said it sounds like we have something in common,  maybe there are more things we have in common ;)

Shush, im puttin the moves on.

Yes, I can also see you also enjoy the finer things in life. We shall become great mates; I can tell.

 

Tho your moves won’t have any affect on me as I’m lesbian. Sorry mate.

Edited by Shumi (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shumi said:

Rude, it’s a female avatar. I’m going to give you a knuckle rub.

Yes, I can also see you also enjoy the finer things in life. We shall become great mates; I can tell.

 

Tho your moves won’t have any affect on me as I’m lesbian. Sorry mate.

Maybe you and my wife would get along :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alpha 19.1 Stable is not a beta opt in branch. It is the main branch and the main branch is never in the beta opt in menu. The main branch is always an automatic download for anyone who hasn’t opted in to an alternate branch in the list. 
 

Therefore, you must opt out of all betas if you want the stable branch. The answer to your question is that TFP will add A19.1 to the beta opt-in menu once A19.2 stable releases. This  is done as a courtesy to those who may not want to move on to the new main branch. 
 

It’s really only people who opt in to play experimental that are affected by this. Most players will just automatically update to A19.1 stable without any confusion because they haven’t opted in to experimental. 
 

For those who do, the onus is on them to figure out what they are choosing to do. The system is in place to cater to the developer’s needs and it works just fine and is quite easy to understand.  It is not Steam who manages the beta menu list. It is TFP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shumi said:

Rude, it’s a female avatar. I’m going to give you a knuckle rub.

Yes, I can also see you also enjoy the finer things in life. We shall become great mates; I can tell.

 

Tho your moves won’t have any affect on me as I’m lesbian. Sorry mate.

A person who is physically female who has Snowdog immunity? Count your blessings. 😂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Roland Would you mind posting a thorough explanation on the intention of this thread, and what will be and not be acceptable within it? (ie someone sharing their base might get said post moved to images and videos, or not, unless this thread exists as a dumping ground.)

 

Perhaps to keep things neater, just my suggestion, this thread should only contain A19 discussions and anything that doesn't fit into that box can be deposited in a currently non-existent thread dedicated to "disposing of the trash".

For example, the post above ("I'm the Party Pooper") has no relevancy when it comes to A19, or 7D2D for that matter. However, it is insignificant enough to deserve its own thread under Images and Videos. Should such posts be deleted, or again, does this thread exist as a waste disposal site for anything miscellaneous as well being the location for the majority of A19 talk?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Roland said:

What stays is predominately direct questions to the developers and direct comments and reactions to what the developers say.

What I assume by "reactions to what developers say" are posts that provide legitimate constructive criticism, a point, or a question from a post that a developer has released in the A20 dev diary. The reaction emojis exist for a reason; a simple bit of praise alone do not contribute to the parent post and would only serve as clutter for others to sift through. No-one wants to see another user praise a new zombie design, especially if they do not have a lot of spare time on their hands, unless it's feedback that adds value to the original post. Am I correct in my assumption?

Any questions you can answer would be appreciated. What I am attempting to accomplish here is create a stronger mutual understanding between moderator and standard forum user.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Roland Would you mind posting a thorough explanation on the intention of this thread, and what will be and not be acceptable within it? (ie someone sharing their base might get said post moved to images and videos, or not, unless this thread exists as a dumping ground.)

 

Perhaps to keep things neater, just my suggestion, this thread should only contain A19 discussions and anything that doesn't fit into that box can be deposited in a currently non-existent thread dedicated to "disposing of the trash".

For example, the post above ("I'm the Party Pooper") has no relevancy when it comes to A19, or 7D2D for that matter. However, it is insignificant enough to deserve its own thread under Images and Videos. Should such posts be deleted, or again, does this thread exist as a waste disposal site for anything miscellaneous as well being the location for the majority of A19 talk?

It’s pretty simple. Direct conversations with the developers stay. The developers set the tone. If Madmole wants to talk about base design then base design posts stay. If you have a question for the devs then post it. If they answer and you want to answer back....great. 
 

Don’t worry about what others post. If the mods and devs feel it can stay then it will and if we want it moved we will. All you need to worry about is asking questions you want answers to and responding to them if they respond to you. 
 

Nobody is in trouble here and I don’t anticipate giving out infractions or bans for this. I’m simply letting people know that I’ll be cleaning out conversations that don’t involve the devs directly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Roland said:

It’s pretty simple. Direct conversations with the developers stay. The developers set the tone. If Madmole wants to talk about base design then base design posts stay. If you have a question for the devs then post it. If they answer and you want to answer back....great. 
 

Don’t worry about what others post. If the mods and devs feel it can stay then it will and if we want it moved we will. All you need to worry about is asking questions you want answers to and responding to them if they respond to you. 
 

Nobody is in trouble here and I don’t anticipate giving out infractions or bans for this. I’m simply letting people know that I’ll be cleaning out conversations that don’t involve the devs directly.

 

Understood.

 

On a side note, perhaps to save yourself and other moderators time you could impose a system on the A20 dev diary where every post made by a standard forum user must come under moderation approval before it's released publicly (or moved or simply deleted)? But then again if you see this suggestion creating more trouble than its worth, then by all means move on from this reply. In Pimps We Trust.

 

I am grateful for the lack of consequences, but this is little excuse. The truth is Roland is in order to keep a machine working properly you have to monitor it with an iron fist and not a soft pair of mittens. Don't take this as a challenge, just something you may want to keep in mind lest the A20 dev diary ends up becoming a clusterfudge must like previous dev diaries. Think about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

What I assume by "reactions to what developers say" are posts that provide legitimate constructive criticism, a point, or a question from a post that a developer has released in the A20 dev diary. The reaction emojis exist for a reason; a simple bit of praise alone do not contribute to the parent post and would only serve as clutter for others to sift through. No-one wants to see another user praise a new zombie design, especially if they do not have a lot of spare time on their hands, unless it's feedback that adds value to the original post. Am I correct in my assumption?

Any questions you can answer would be appreciated. What I am attempting to accomplish here is create a stronger mutual understanding between moderator and standard forum user.

No. The devs are fine with hearing feedback to their announcements. You’re trying to hard to make this some kind of actionable infraction. I certainly don’t want you to send ten reports if 10 people post their praise/worries/criticism of something revealed by Madmole. 
 

Best is to just ignore what others post and the mods will move them out if we feel it’s warranted. 

Everything will be moved here. I’m not going to take time to sort posts into different buckets. Here they can be read and commented upon and discussed further. The only posts that will be deleted are spam or that break the rules such as flaming, doom and gloom, or being abusive if others. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for myself, I am a creature of habit. This also means I am adaptable, and adapt I shall, if I have not already. If not, all I ask is you give me time to adjust. I'll fit right in soon enough, again, unless I already have. We'll have to wait and see, won't we?

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

No. The devs are fine with hearing feedback to their announcements. You’re trying to hard to make this some kind of actionable infraction. I certainly don’t want you to send ten reports if 10 people post their praise/worries/criticism of something revealed by Madmole. 
 

Best is to just ignore what others post and the mods will move them out if we feel it’s warranted. 

Everything will be moved here. I’m not going to take time to sort posts into different buckets. Here they can be read and commented upon and discussed further. The only posts that will be deleted are spam or that break the rules such as flaming, doom and gloom, or being abusive if others. 

Understood. Again, my sole intention here is to make sure we're all on the same page. Yes, I'll throw my opinions in there occasionally, but those can be simply ignored. :)

 

Instead, just take that as a piece of advice for other users rather than as me "attempting to enforce rules". Anyone typing in "this is a fantastic new zombie design" could be summarized with a heart reaction. :)

 

Nonetheless, I'll leave my trust with you and TFP. Have a good one.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Understood.

 

On a side note, perhaps to save yourself and other moderators time you could impose a system on the A20 dev diary where every post made by a standard forum user must come under moderation approval before it's released publicly (or moved or simply deleted)? But then again if you see this suggestion creating more trouble than its worth, then by all means move on from this reply. In Pimps We Trust.

 

I am grateful for the lack of consequences, but this is little excuse. The truth is Roland is in order to keep a machine working properly you have to monitor it with an iron fist and not a soft pair of mittens. Don't take this as a challenge, just something you may want to keep in mind lest the A20 dev diary ends up becoming a clusterfudge must like previous dev diaries. Think about it.


Ive been cleaning it out once or twice per day. That might seem like soft mittens to someone who is checking the dev diary every 5 minutes but for those who check in every few days the dev diary will appear uncluttered and that is fine for me because I am really doing this for the benefit of the developers to be able to easily see the relevant posts for them and they are not checking every 5 minutes. 
 

Approving every post would be more work and also kill the freedom of posting. It is simple for me as I read to check and then mass move anything out. This way people can make their comments  even their jokes without being stifled. They just need to know that it won’t be staying in the dev diary for long. 
 

Im not really worried about it Mech. It’s definitely something I’m not going to smite people over. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Roland said:


Ive been cleaning it out once or twice per day. That might seem like soft mittens to someone who is checking the dev diary every 5 minutes but for those who check in every few days the dev diary will appear uncluttered and that is fine for me because I am really doing this for the benefit of the developers to be able to easily see the relevant posts for them and they are not checking every 5 minutes. 
 

Approving every post would be more work and also kill the freedom of posting. It is simple for me as I read to check and then mass move anything out. This way people can make their comments  even their jokes without being stifled. They just need to know that it won’t be staying in the dev diary for long. 
 

Im not really worried about it Mech. It’s definitely something I’m not going to smite people over. 

Understood. Forgive me for being rather, shall we say, picky? I want to make it perfectly clear that I do not believe you cannot do your job. By the looks of things, everything is running quiet smoothly, especially nowadays. But one thing you have to know about me, if it isn't abundantly clear already, is that I believe in order above all things. Of course though, personality is allowed to wriggle through; I'm not used to that, but I am slowly adapting in that regard. :) No offense was intended, so I hope we can walk away from this with some solid bridges connected that were not there before.

I've also just realized that I am very much nearing my 3,000 post milestone. 😄 Nothing remarkable, and some of my posts can be sorted into the quantity category rather than quality, but it's something for me to pop the metaphorical champagne bottle over nonetheless. 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...