Sudden FPS drops

Criosdan

I play with my partner who hosts the game on the same PC on wich he plays.

Yesterday, we both had massively FPS drops after playing a while.

We tried again today, the low FPS didn't change.

Usually, we got between 50 - 60 FPS, now it is 15- 25...

There was no change in options or otherwise. Does anyone has an idea?

My system:

CPU i7 3770K

GPU GeForce GTX 680

16 GB Ram

Win10

I played last co-op last night and I had a couple of cases where it dropped from 60-70 down to 15-20 for a couple of seconds. It recovered on its own, though, and my friend didn't mention any slowdown on his side. I play from a spinny disk, possibly playing from the SSD would help. He and I both on laptops connecting to a DS running on a PC in my network. I should enable perf tracking on the PC to see if anything wonky is going on there when I experience it again. Dunno if it's the server having trouble or my laptop.

Day 2, no augers or significant building. Mostly just getting eaten by mountain lions. Seriously who gives a T1 quest 1.1KM away out into Lumberjack Land? I thought you LIKED ME, Jen!

Looks very much as a memory leak on the server. Try monitoring the server with at least 2 points, first straight after rebooting, second when it starts lagging, see some noticeable difference in memory consumption/disk overloading/ processor abuse - make a bug report with logs for devs. Thy would love to get logs anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if such problems occur, you always have to take a closer look. Just telling your hardware is not really helpfull. There are too many variables, like mods, mapsize, number of players, ...

Posting the logfile from the server may also be a huge help.

First thing to look at: Is the issue on the server or on the clients. If only one player gets fps-drops, the problem most likely is not the server. If the server is the problem, usually ALL players have similar drops.

E.g. huge tree farms may cause performance issues. It also depends on what trees exactly they are. And it only occurs if you look in the direction of where the tree farm is. That is a pure client problem and has nothing to do with the server.

Archived