Should Animal Tracking and The Huntsman be merged?

Sjustus548

Should Animal Tracking and The Huntsman be merged into one perk?  I can see why they would be under each of their respective perk trees, Perception for finding the animals and Fortitude for the survival aspect of getting more meat, but I think it would be better to merge them both into one perk underneath the Fortitude tree.  Have The Huntsman encompass both perk effects.  I think it would look something like this:

The Huntsman
Rank 1: You are on the path of the huntsman.  Harvest 20% more resources from animals using any bladed tool or weapon.
Rank 2: You are becoming adept at skinning and harvesting meat.  Harvest 40% more resources from animals using any bladed tool or weapon.

Rank 3: Living in the wild is becoming second nature to you.  Crouch down and use your keen eyesight to find the tracks of small animals like rabbits, snakes, or chickens.  Tracked animals are marked on your compass and map.  Harvest 60% more resources from animals using any bladed tool or weapon. 

Rank 4: You know exactly how to get the perfect cuts.  Your hawk like senses can track deer and boars as well as sneaky predators like wolves or coyotes.  Harvest 80% more resources from animals using any bladed tool or weapon. 

Rank 5: You are a true mountain man and the ultimate tracker.  You can track predators like mountain lions or bears.  Harvest 100% more resources from animals using any bladed tool or weapon. 

My push back on this would be based on the scarcity of food early in the game.  Not being able to track makes it very difficult to survive off hunting.  Perhaps keep the larger animals at 3 and 5 but make the smallest game tracking available from level 1.

If you can't track any animals before Rank 3, I doubt anyone would even bother with it IMHO.

45 minutes ago, Stingerwolf said:

My push back on this would be based on the scarcity of food early in the game.  Not being able to track makes it very difficult to survive off hunting.  Perhaps keep the larger animals at 3 and 5 but make the smallest game tracking available from level 1.

If you can't track any animals before Rank 3, I doubt anyone would even bother with it IMHO.

That would be a good change too.  Getting tracking at 1,3,5 would be good.  I could also see making it 1,2,3 and then just getting more meat for ranks 4 and 5.  

1 hour ago, Stingerwolf said:

I agree; meat can be kind of scarce early on in the game.

4 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

I can see why they would be under each of their respective perk trees, Perception for finding the animals and Fortitude for the survival aspect of getting more meat, but I think it would be better to merge them both into one perk underneath the Fortitude tree. 

Imho this is just one (good) example, why the current skilltrees are more or less broken.

It's more like a crippled class system. Not really classes, but depending on what tree you pick, it forces you in some direction anyway, just like ... classes. But it is still not orientated to "roles" (that you might pick at least in multiplayer), because related skills are spread over different trees. E.g if you want to minmax the "support" role, you need master chef from strenght, living of the land and huntsman from fortitude and animal tracker from perception. So you have to spread a @%$#load of points over different trees and are also still not able to have the only weapon you used optimized.

I like the 1, 3, 5 idea, but with less % resources harvest. Maybe 10/20/30/40/50. You dont really need THAT much meat late in the game and the bigger animals already give you much more meat than the small ones.

Another option would be

Lvl 1- tracking small animals

Lvl 2- 15% more resource harvesting

Lvl 3- track mid sized animals

Lvl 4- 30% more resource harvesting

Lvl 5- track big animals + 50% more harvesting. (rank 5 is always supposed to pack a bigger boom)

And since on A19 there's not need for a fixed 5 perk number.. it could also be tweaked to up to 4 ranks.

Rank 1 - track small animals +10% harvest

Rank 2 - + 25% harvest

Rank 3 - track mid-sized animals + 35% harvest

Rank 4 - track big animals + 50% more harvest.

Archived