Alpha 16.4 vs Alpha 19

LegionDiablo

No this is not a thread what alpha is better. I am not interested in that.

I am interested in how much more demanding is alpha 19 compared to 16.4

I know there was some optimizeing and stuff like that. But I did need to run alpha 16.4 on almoust minimum settings. With that in mind what are my chances of running alpha 19?

Thanks

Just my take on things . . .

Overall performance is better in this alpha. That said, some users (myself included) are experiencing problems with "Terrain Quality" and needing to turn it down to low. This does not seriously impact terrain appearance, but having it set any higher CAN have a serious impact on FPS.

26 minutes ago, ~Kevin~ said:

Alpha 19 is prettier, but Alpha 16 is still the boss.

If I uninstall the current Alpha, and go back to 16, 16 maxes out my 16 gigs of memory.  Before, everything topped out at around 8 gigs.  I think 19 is better optimized, but 16 is more fun.

The OP specifically stated that this thread is about performance. There are PLENTY of threads about how wonderful A16 is for gameplay. Please don't derail this one away from the specific topic of performance by starting a debate about which one is most fun. Some will like A16 better and some will like A19 better and it can all be discussed on other threads-- maybe the one you just created in addition to posting this here...

2 hours ago, LegionDiablo said:

Thanks for the input. I was wondering I have 2 laptops one is really bad and the other one is just bad but needs a bit of work on it. So I wanted to know was it worth the trouble to get it up and running for this. :)

Yeah 16 gigs is required for sure if you plan on playing an 8k map. My laptop has 8gigs and a 2.6ghz processor and it ran. It didn't run lovely but it ran. I could play on quarter textures at native rez with dynamic resolution on scale - or half textures with 1024x728 rez with no dynamic. Just don't use dynamic resolution on auto -- set it to scale; on an 8k server... it doesn't work well with that system. My PC tower runs it between 60 - 110 FPS with no GPU just the Vega 8 that comes from my Ryzen (OC a little but within normal range) on 8k maps 8k servers and whatnot. Takes a lot to lag it down. But, regardless, 19 is definitely zounds better performance wise.

13 hours ago, Roland said:

The OP specifically stated that this thread is about performance. There are PLENTY of threads about how wonderful A16 is for gameplay. Please don't derail this one away from the specific topic of performance by starting a debate about which one is most fun. Some will like A16 better and some will like A19 better and it can all be discussed on other threads-- maybe the one you just created in addition to posting this here...

LOL, someone getting tired of the continuous wheels squeaking everywhere they can? I feel your pain, I have put more people on ignore this alpha than all other alphas combined.

20 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Yeah 16 gigs is required for sure if you plan on playing an 8k map. My laptop has 8gigs and a 2.6ghz processor and it ran. It didn't run lovely but it ran. I could play on quarter textures at native rez with dynamic resolution on scale - or half textures with 1024x728 rez with no dynamic. Just don't use dynamic resolution on auto -- set it to scale; on an 8k server... it doesn't work well with that system. My PC tower runs it between 60 - 110 FPS with no GPU just the Vega 8 that comes from my Ryzen (OC a little but within normal range) on 8k maps 8k servers and whatnot. Takes a lot to lag it down. But, regardless, 19 is definitely zounds better performance wise.

I think I am ok on the procesor but I have 6 GB of RAM... I would have to check as I didin't really touch the other laptop in a long time now (few years) I did get some lag on horde nights but for the most part it was ok. I was even a host for when me and my gf used to play.

We are interested to play the game again to test out all the new things. Not sure should we jump in alpha 19 or would it be even more optimized if we waited till 19.3 or something like that. I am a bit out of touch with the game and the updates but I know for exsample alpha 12.4 would run better than just alpha 12 not sure do they still do that

a19 runs better cpu/vga wise ... but its  far more memory hungry

people struggle with  8gb ... 6 is probably dead end even with

On 9/11/2020 at 2:44 AM, Jugginator said:

Yeah 16 gigs is required for sure if you plan on playing an 8k map

map  size have no impact on memory usage apart of generation .. game dont keep everything in ram it just loads chunks around you

Cant comment on performance since my old laptop I used during A16 is pretty dead (sound card doesn't work, battery doesn't work, power supply doesn't work, screen doesn't work... but works fine if you use a universal laptop charger + hdmi screen... so there's that?)

HOWEVER, RAM usage is really, really low in A19 vs A16. I recommend turning Dynamic Music off. That has a noticable impact on RAM usage.

2 hours ago, alanea said:

a19 runs better cpu/vga wise ... but its  far more memory hungry

people struggle with  8gb ... 6 is probably dead end even with

map  size have no impact on memory usage apart of generation .. game dont keep everything in ram it just loads chunks around you

Only partially true. If I were to do an 8k map with only 8gigs of ram (6 if you deduct for the APU) I get major stutters and frame drop. 4k is way better.

In fact, this is from spawn after the ram was done allocating and leveled out. First is an 8k RWG, second is a 4K RWG:

8K.PNG.1b9fd7cff52b9a3c676977b9949adcbc.PNG

4K.PNG.4182394e21eef20eb035c9ffe5d297ff.PNG

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

Cant comment on performance since my old laptop I used during A16 is pretty dead (sound card doesn't work, battery doesn't work, power supply doesn't work, screen doesn't work... but works fine if you use a universal laptop charger + hdmi screen... so there's that?)

HOWEVER, RAM usage is really, really low in A19 vs A16. I recommend turning Dynamic Music off. That has a noticable impact on RAM usage.

Yeah and for some reason the ingame voice chat being on has a minor performance hit still. 

8 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Only partially true. If I were to do an 8k map with only 8gigs of ram (6 if you deduct for the APU) I get major stutters and frame drop. 4k is way better.

In fact, this is from spawn after the ram was done allocating and leveled out. First is an 8k RWG, second is a 4K RWG:

8K.PNG.1b9fd7cff52b9a3c676977b9949adcbc.PNG

4K.PNG.4182394e21eef20eb035c9ffe5d297ff.PNG

Yeah and for some reason the ingame voice chat being on has a minor performance hit still. 

thats  quite interesting  its 4,9-5,3 for me on    4k, 6k (navez) and 8k map

climbing to  12-14  over time

1 hour ago, LegionDiablo said:

Ok.. What is I just used navezgane map and not go to random gen? Or is navezgane map something they removed from alpha 19?

nope navezgane is still a thing ... bust most people play  7 days  several alphas already and  playing same map over and over gets boring quickly

+ we have 3 8k pregen maps modified by devs (mostly added missing poi etc)

I did try navezgane. Sorry to say does not work as well as 16.4 for me. I got some lines over the screan and more lag. And I even have more ram than I did when I was runing 16.4 and I did turn all of my settings to lowest

Well thanks everyone for trying to help. But as they say this game is not over yet. So here is hoping A20 will be something I will be able to play again. Or with time I might get a better potato that could run this game again. :)

Archived