Kunish

Game frozen and them crashed to windows

Two days ago I did several stress test(occt)and everything was ok.

In my recent try, with the new drivers, I played from about an hour and the game didn´t crash, but I had to left the game from a very strange bug, I couln´t move the player with the mouse, I imagine that this bug is not related with the crashes, I try load the game several times but the bug reproduce in a few seconds. Tomorrow I´l try something, thanks again. I left a video of the bug: https://streamable.com/ti18pt

Edited by Kunish (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Kunish said:

I had to left the game from a very strange bug, I couln´t move the player with the mouse

I think that's a known bug but tfp may need more info on it. If you have a log from that session

that you made the video, it may be helpful.

12 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

I think that's a known bug but tfp may need more info on it. If you have a log from that session

I try to reproduce this bug, but the game crashed just a few seconds after start the game, I think this probably discard that my crashes are due to the drivers, if I able to reproduce the bug I´ll upload the log.

output_log__2020-09-12__16-37-39.txt

3 hours ago, Kunish said:

the game crashed just a few seconds after start the game

What does Windows Event Viewer say about the crashes? There will be an entry in the Windows Logs under

Application or System at the exact same time as the crashes. Look up as many as you can find. You should have quite

a few. If they all say the same Event ID/s that'll be helpful. You can open the Event Viewer by right clicking the

start menu and selecting "Event Viewer".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beelzybub said:

What does Windows Event Viewer say about the crashes? There will be an entry in the Windows Logs under

Application or System at the exact same time as the crashes. Look up as many as you can find. You should have quite

a few. If they all say the same Event ID/s that'll be helpful. You can open the Event Viewer by right clicking the

start menu and selecting "Event Viewer".

This is the last one, the others are very similar.

In application windows says this: 

"Windows cannot access the file for any of the following reasons: There is a problem with the network connection, with the disk where this file is stored, or with the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disc cannot be found. Windows closed the 7daystodie.exe program for this error."

I check the disk and everything seems fine, It´s a new m.2 PCIe 4.0 https://www.xpg.com/US/feature/617/ I have several games there and no problem with them.

In any case tomorrow I´ll install the game in other disk and I´ll try again.

Event log.txt

Edited by Kunish
Edit (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Kunish said:

It´s a new m.2 PCIe 4.0

Ah, that's very intersting. I've heard some nvme drives can overheat. Wonder what's going on with it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Ah, that's very intersting. I've heard some nvme drives can overheat. Wonder what's going on with it.

Yep, I heard that from 70ºC/158ºF the speed decrease, I tried again and the maximum heat while playing at 7dtd was 48ºC/118ºF and the crash succeed again. I´ll try now in other disk, a samsung ssd.

Ok, I reinstalled the game in the other disk and the game crash about half an hour later, windows in the event says this: "The 7DaysToDie.exe program (version 2019.2.17.24627) stopped interacting with Windows and was closed." I attach the event log and the output log.

output_log__2020-09-13__00-49-29.txt Event log 2.txt

@KunishYou should generate a new world, with a new, never before used, game and seed name. Just do a

new 4k world for quick testing. Try going back to 1080p in the new world as @SylenThunder has suggested.

Have you checked your power cables?

Are the Gpu, Cpu, or Memory overclocked at all?

• Like 1

No overclock at all, yesterday night I left the computer doing another stress test, the power test from occt for several hours and no problems found, but yes, I have to try other things, tomorrow I´ll disconnet and reconnect everything in my computer, I´ll post the results.

I tried again at 1080, in a new 4k world, with a new profile and with the graphics at lowest, this time the faulting module name wasn´t UnityPlayer.dll, it was ntdll.dll, I attach this event log and also the output log. Tomorrow I will check every connection in my computer. 

This time the game generated a crash.dmp and a error log, I also attach these files and another file named in the error.log

Event log 3.txt output_log__2020-09-13__16-38-03.txt

crash.dmp error.log

mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll

Edited by Kunish
Edit (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Kunish said:

I tried again at 1080, in a new 4k world, with a new profile and with the graphics at lowest, this time the faulting module name wasn´t UnityPlayer.dll, it was ntdll.dll, I attach this event log and also the output log. Tomorrow I will check every connection in my computer. 

This time the game generated a crash.dmp and a error log, I also attach these files and another file named in the error.log

Event log 3.txt 2.16 kB · 0 downloads output_log__2020-09-13__16-38-03.txt 64.49 kB · 0 downloads

crash.dmp 1.8 MB · 0 downloads error.log 144.79 kB · 0 downloads

mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll 4.72 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Kunish

In the event log it indicates that it is an error of a windows .dll
Faulting module path: 😄 \ Windows \ SYSTEM32 \ ntdll.dll

Download a new .dll and install it and then check if it is fixed.

• Like 1

I tried that and this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors , I already checked the connections in the motheboard and the game crashed again, my last solution is to reinstall windows from zero at least someone could find something in the crash.dmp that I left yesterday, in any case I also attach the files from the last crash. Thanks.

16 hours ago, Gouki said:

Hi Kunish

In the event log it indicates that it is an error of a windows .dll
Faulting module path: 😄 \ Windows \ SYSTEM32 \ ntdll.dll

Download a new .dll and install it and then check if it is fixed.

I run this 

crash.dmp error.log Event log a.txt Event log b.txt output_log__2020-09-14__09-01-42.txt

7 hours ago, Kunish said:

I tried that and this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors , I already checked the connections in the motheboard and the game crashed again, my last solution is to reinstall windows from zero at least someone could find something in the crash.dmp that I left yesterday, in any case I also attach the files from the last crash. Thanks.

I run this 

crash.dmp 1.73 MB · 0 downloads error.log 141.92 kB · 0 downloads Event log a.txt 2.24 kB · 0 downloads Event log b.txt 2.53 kB · 0 downloads output_log__2020-09-14__09-01-42.txt 65.61 kB · 0 downloads

Try running these two in the console (first uninstalls second reinstalls)

regsvr32.exe /u ntdll.dll

regsvr32.exe ntdll.dll

I'm really confident this is an OS issue.

• Like 1

The event log errors are file access failures, which could be anti-virus, or something wrong with the drive.

Or a network failure. Is the computer part of a domain?

I'd do more disk testing on your c:/ drive. A full chkdsk /r that will check for bad sectors. (takes a long time)

Edited by Beelzybub (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Try running these two in the console (first uninstalls second reinstalls)

regsvr32.exe /u ntdll.dll

regsvr32.exe ntdll.dll

I'm really confident this is an OS issue.

I already tried that, I follow also all the instructions of this page https://softwaretested.com/windows/how-to-fix-ntdll-dll-crash-error-on-windows-10/, but of the many crashes of the game I think only two times in the logs appeared ntdll.dll, usually the error is this: "UnityPlayer.dll caused an Illegal Instruction (0xc000001d)
  in module UnityPlayer.dll at 0033:6be85cc7" At this time I think my only solution is to reinstall windows,  I am installing right now the alpha 18.4 and I´ll try again, if this fail also it´s clear that I have a problem with the OS.

23 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

The event log errors are file access failures, which could be anti-virus, or something wrong with the drive.

Or a network failure. Is the computer part of a domain?

I'd do more disk testing on your c:/ drive. A full chkdsk /r that will check for bad sectors. (takes a long time)

I already did this and the game still crashes. The computer is not part of a domain.

Ok, the game also crashes in A18.4, I attach the output log and the event log, the error was again with the UnityPlayer.dll, in the past two weeks  I've been playing also several hours at Subnautica, an Unity game, and no problems at all, maybe this week-end I´ll reinstall windows, I´ll post the results here, thanks again.

output_log__2020-09-15__18-04-40.txt event l.txt

33 minutes ago, Kunish said:

I already tried that, I follow also all the instructions of this page https://softwaretested.com/windows/how-to-fix-ntdll-dll-crash-error-on-windows-10/, but of the many crashes of the game I think only two times in the logs appeared ntdll.dll, usually the error is this: "UnityPlayer.dll caused an Illegal Instruction (0xc000001d)
  in module UnityPlayer.dll at 0033:6be85cc7" At this time I think my only solution is to reinstall windows,  I am installing right now the alpha 18.4 and I´ll try again, if this fail also it´s clear that I have a problem with the OS.

I already did this and the game still crashes. The computer is not part of a domain.

Yeah regardless if it's just A19 or not, this issue is 100% localized with these particular vectors of crashing, and these are Windows dlls that are failing. I recommend you not only reinstall Windows but do a hard-format on the installation drive before installing Windows again (the formatter for the Windows installer is quick, sometimes misses some things). 

8 minutes ago, Kunish said:

Ok, the game also crashes in A18.4, I attach the output log and the event log, the error was again with the UnityPlayer.dll, in the past two weeks  I've been playing also several hours at Subnautica, an Unity game, and no problems at all, maybe this week-end I´ll reinstall windows, I´ll post the results here, thanks again.

output_log__2020-09-15__18-04-40.txt 49.73 kB · 0 downloads event l.txt 2.23 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the extra observation and testing. Yeah this game really stresses everything computational alot more than other games. Games such as Subnautica are mostly GPU-stressing, 7 Days stresses your CPU, storage drive and sometimes under high settings your GPU as well. Heh this is one of the few games where upgrading from an HDD to an SSD or M.2 will improve your performance outside of load times.

Actually one more quick idea before hard formatting and reinstalling, @Kunish, you can always try "refreshing" your install. That's much quicker and you can see if that helps (and leaves your files/games alone). If that doesn't work, well it's a gamble that took like 15 - 20 mins lol

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well hmm. I don't remember, did we stress test your storage device?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/testref/738735f7-245a-4b39-9d81-20339ce31fd4

You may want to try that out and then hard format that drive and reinstall Windows. 

I mean unless there's a driver(s) causing the issue... try disabling non-vital devices. Such as these two: image.png.0cb3a3363a9a2a1feb74f3280944effc.png

I dont use the 3.5mm connections I use the USB headset. Shooting in the dark, here, lol.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 9:55 PM, Beelzybub said:

This happens to me too but only in my base.   Never happens outside my base.  My guess it has to do with my solar banks powering everything because before i installed them it never happened.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Well hmm. I don't remember, did we stress test your storage device?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/testref/738735f7-245a-4b39-9d81-20339ce31fd4

You may want to try that out and then hard format that drive and reinstall Windows. 

I mean unless there's a driver(s) causing the issue... try disabling non-vital devices. Such as these two: image.png.0cb3a3363a9a2a1feb74f3280944effc.png

I dont use the 3.5mm connections I use the USB headset. Shooting in the dark, here, lol.

I download the windows harware lab kit, but I have no idea how to run this test, but It´s a good idea because a run a stress that put my processor and graphic card at 100% for an hour and no problems at all, At least there isn´t bad sectors.

dd.jpg

@Kunish

You seem to have gone through all the software related possibilities, and I'm convinced at this point that you

have a hardware/driver problem. I would root through the Windows Event logs to see if there is a new clue there.

Maybe the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor will have a clue in it.

Some of your errors suggest a disk problem. I know it passed the tests though so it's hard to say what's up.

It seems to be the only clue we have to go on at this point.

Maybe have a look at the bios and see if there are any options for the nvme drive.

Is it running in pcie v4 mode? Can you switch it to pcie v3 mode? I dunno really. Are there any network drives, or

iSCSI drives?

Sometimes a system builder will accidentally leave the plastic on the thermal pad of the nvme heat sink, which

could cause errors.

An extreme test would be cloning the nvme to another drive, (an ssd) and removing it.

• Like 1