Is it possible to move to a new map?

zztong

I play with a group of folks on a private server. We've largely explored the current map.

Is it possible to move to a new map but keep the same characters -- experience, skills, worn equipment, tool bar equipment, and whatever is in their backpacks?

I see some discussion about that here, perhaps dated:

(2016) https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/4/1741090666219174678/

(2015) https://www.reddit.com/r/7daystodie/comments/3inqty/transferring_characters/

Yes.  Go into the save game folder (Needs to be the host) and copy the bunchofnumbers.ttp file for each character. (Make sure you have everything you want in your inventory).  Make new game, go to save folder, delete new characters you used to start game (bunchofnumbers.ttp files).  Paste/copy in ones you backed up.  Done.  WARNING: Most likely will start you at the point your OLD character logged out at and not some random starting point.

11 hours ago, Sydious said:

WARNING: Most likely will start you at the point your OLD character logged out at and not some random starting point.

Oh yeh, that makes sense. Hmm, I wonder what happens if you end up being under ground. If we all wandered over to the border, which is water, perhaps it would be water on the new map too, though that probably assumes we use the same method of map generation.

IIRC, I read a suggestion (Dream) somebody had to make moving from map to map a game feature. I've not been able to find that suggestion again. It doesn't seem to show up on a search for "map."

I can see the merit to that suggestion, and assuming that all players are willing to move I find myself wondering how much work it might take and if there was interest from anyone else. Perhaps such a feature might allow for a series of missions that leads to changing maps over a longer campaign to... I dunno... maybe meet up with the people who keep sending flights to drop supplies.

In our situation, we like our characters but we've just run out of places to explore.

Whenever we get tired of the map and want to switch to a new map while keeping our old characters we always make a mission out of it first.  Like the last time we did it we had to get gyrocopters together for everyone loaded with any supplies that we wanted to take.  After we get everything together we fly off into the sunset.  Then on the new map we load up our characters and give them the supplies that they had, we just imagine that gyrocopters were destroyed during the landing. 

6 hours ago, Sakurambo said:

isn't easier to generate new characters and give yourselves some exp and gear to match the old ones?

Not necessarily. There are a number of characters each of which could have a lot of different stuff in their inventory. Setting experience is easy, but then spending it would take time.

13 hours ago, zztong said:

IIRC, I read a suggestion (Dream) somebody had to make moving from map to map a game feature. I've not been able to find that suggestion again. It doesn't seem to show up on a search for "map."

I can see the merit to that suggestion, and assuming that all players are willing to move I find myself wondering how much work it might take and if there was interest from anyone else. Perhaps such a feature might allow for a series of missions that leads to changing maps over a longer campaign to... I dunno... maybe meet up with the people who keep sending flights to drop supplies.

In our situation, we like our characters but we've just run out of places to explore.

yeah, I agree :)

Its probably not my question you're referring to but I asked on the forums about once (moving between maps/games, maybe around a17-a18) and got a "no" e.g. that it would not happen as a built in feature.  Of course, things can always change :).  I think it would be cool as you could generate really small, handcrafted maps (single biome, special challenges, anything) and have the "go to the next map" movements daisy chained together for "long quests" or "end game move to a new area" (like you "get rescued" and then go somewhere else as you mentioned) stuff.  Maybe certain games start up with special zed characteristics/special zeds, mods/blocks, etc. so every time you clear a map/game and "transport" to a new one, its a whole new experience.  It would elevate modding another level to be able to create special maps, POI's quests, and mods and bundle them all into 1 zip file or something that's meant to be played as a single questable/playable unit.

Of course...maybe with a server manager and some scripts a non public game you could make it happen using @Sydiousexample above.  I could imagine with the server manager you could read a players inventory (or whatever) or a player could chat with it (give it the secret phrase or combination found in the "quest done" scenario) and it would then move all players to the new map/game.   I can't see it working on multiplayer (on a public game) though as you'd only want to spawn a single new map and move all players to it at once, else you'd have multiple games running at once for every "left behind" player.

or, you could have "end map quest" bosses that if you die, even once, you get teleported back to a previous map in the quest chain.  Gotta beat the boss without dying to progress forward a map :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did experiment with moving characters between maps.

If you copy the .../Saves/<Map>/<Game>/Player/999999999999.ttp files from the old map to the new map (similar path), your character arrives complete with their inventory. Their location is where they were on the previous map (N-S, E-W) and you seem to start on the ground (elevation) even if it was different from before.

I've no idea what would happen if your N-S, E-W position happened to be in a POI. That didn't happen in any of my tests.

One side effect was that you had all of your map waypoints from before, but each player could just delete them.

This kind of makes it possible to say "if you want to move to the next map at the end of the month, you need to get to this location" which would work with my small group, but probably not on a server with a larger player base.

I find myself wishing that there was some convention like highways always entered the map in the N-S center and E-W centers, which would create some map-to-map continuity.

I would certainly appreciate any features TFP might consider making map-to-map travel possible so a server could switch to a new map and provide some continuity to the characters/players. Also, could you image, perhaps, a couple of servers going together and there being some kind of hand-off between them?

Archived