Structural integrity....

Morloc

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

I agree that the information how much something can hold is slightly hidden. A block in my inventory tells me immediately what it can hold and its weight, but a block in the world does not.

Such an information deficit happens when you want to attach blocks to an existing poi and it happens when you upgrade. On the other hand the game gives you the means to find out. For example: If you want to find out how much weight some block can hold, just add wood frames until they collapse. Multiply the max number of wood frames it held by 5 (the weight of a wood frame) and you have the weight it can hold.

Could also damage it with a stone axe and then try to repair it to find what resource it requires. Iirc all non-trap wood blocks have the same max "mass" allowed, Iron blocks have their own, the clay+stone blocks (cobble flag and brick) have the same as each other, as do the different cement blocks when dry (possibly when wet too). Could be wrong though and terrain had its own individual values from what I recall.

I know this might be a weird suggestion, but instead of destroying an over capacity block could the game just reduce it's max health by an amount (and with a visual cue)? So that way a builder might be able to tell where the failure might occur, and then take steps to prevent it instead of the 'I need pen & paper, and a calculator' or 'well... I'll build until it collapses, reclaim from the debris, and redo until it works'.

19 hours ago, meganoth said:

I agree that the information how much something can hold is slightly hidden. A block in my inventory tells me immediately what it can hold and its weight, but a block in the world does not.

Such an information deficit happens when you want to attach blocks to an existing poi and it happens when you upgrade. On the other hand the game gives you the means to find out. For example: If you want to find out how much weight some block can hold, just add wood frames until they collapse. Multiply the max number of wood frames it held by 5 (the weight of a wood frame) and you have the weight it can hold.

True thought i believe this would be better to be baked into some function like somekind of "look" action binded to "R" on upgrading tools. This way you could check all blocks fast if you are confused.

12 hours ago, meganoth said:

Not sure if it ever will be in the main game, but in SP at least you can use a debug function that shows SI on blocks (if I remember correctly)

.... so all we need is an in game item to trigger this... like the night vision goggles... ummmm... how about “builders safety goggles”. Safety First! :).  It would be a neat in game item to get and I “support” anyone who wants to add it, TFP included 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:54 PM, meganoth said:

Not sure if it ever will be in the main game, but in SP at least you can use a debug function that shows SI on blocks (if I remember correctly)

Im not sure how that thing even works, it seems like it generates only a "green=okay" and "black=could collapse at any time" warning.

11 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Ages ago I made a post about SI and someone transferred it to a wiki page.

https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Structural_Integrity

Other than specific numbers it should still all be valid.

The text was updated and the pictures not: The second picture shows an all wood construct where only 6 blocks are supported by a block. While the text correctly talks about wood blocks supporting 8 wood blocks. A look at previous revisions shows that it once was 36 max load and 6 mass for wood blocks.

Makes it pretty confusing.

On 10/27/2020 at 11:37 AM, Danidas said:

1] Do I have blocks all the way to bedrock (yes or no): (if yes stop but if no go to question 2)

I basically used this as the basis for reinforcing the original building, running several cobblestone upgrades down to the foundation in the corners and the middle of the back and front walls. Careful examination has taught me that the PoI in question is only just barely structurally sound. There's just one problem with the whole procedure you laid out: It is very common for anything from a few blocks to huge chunk of a building to be floating in air with no unbroken pillar all the way to bedrock anywhere in sight to support it, and these are often right after a chunk update because they occur when another part of the building has just been brought down, so it can't have anything to do with needing an update. There has to be something in the SI code that isn't properly calculating the SI for these floaty bits when nearby blocks have just been taken out. With the house I took over, it was fine after I took out the furniture (that wasn't even in the line-to-bedrock) until I exited the chunk and then re-entered it.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:51 AM, Solomon said:

Like a color coding going from green, yellow, red and black to show if something is on the verge of collapse.

That is basically how Empyrion: Galactic Survival does it, except no black. Extreme red = about to collapse.

You have to go into a special "mode" to see these colours, which is perfect because who wants to run around with the entire world displayed in just green and red? The builders goggles idea would just be a different representation of the mechanism for displaying this SI mode.

Archived