Question about server "spec"

fNx

Hello everyone. I dont know how to describe better my question so i will try my best....

What is the best server spec (RAM,CPU) for 7D server by slots ? We have a 40 slot server and he keep kicking players by server after there is more like 16GB of RAM usage (35 players online). So my question is, what RAM i have to install to my server ? 32GB ? 64GB ? 128GB and keep server running fine. I know there is recommended max 8 slot per server but you know, our server is most played in Slovakia and Czech Republic over 2 years, nonstop full so we are trying to solve this problem. Thank you for answer, have a nice day everyone :)

I doubt it matters what hardware you throw at your server at that point. You should be ecstatic just to have 35 players on your server and still run stable. Maybe someday someone will create a mod that allows portals to be implemented into the game which connects multiple servers together. (I've seen it done in Minecraft)

Also, I doubt your 16GB of ram has much head room left after having 35 players online. I'd recommend at least 20GB of total ram for that amount of players. Though, without seeing how the CPU and ram is handling the game, I can't know for sure.

1 hour ago, fNx said:

Hello everyone. I dont know how to describe better my question so i will try my best....

What is the best server spec (RAM,CPU) for 7D server by slots ? We have a 40 slot server and he keep kicking players by server after there is more like 16GB of RAM usage (35 players online). 

Do you mean kicking players by IP?

No IP kick. When is server using more like 16GB RAM he will start kicking players from server without any reason and then server need to restart because it is not going to fix 

36 minutes ago, Fox said:

I doubt it matters what hardware you throw at your server at that point. You should be ecstatic just to have 35 players on your server and still run stable. Maybe someday someone will create a mod that allows portals to be implemented into the game which connects multiple servers together. (I've seen it done in Minecraft)

Also, I doubt your 16GB of ram has much head room left after having 35 players online. I'd recommend at least 20GB of total ram for that amount of players. Though, without seeing how the CPU and ram is handling the game, I can't know for sure.

As i mentioned in edit, we are already running server with 128GB RAM, problem still here

46 minutes ago, fNx said:

No IP kick. When is server using more like 16GB RAM he will start kicking players from server without any reason and then server need to restart because it is not going to fix 

As i mentioned in edit, we are already running server with 128GB RAM, problem still here

Maybe it's hardcoded to use only 16GB software side? I don't know. I just know it's impressive to even see 35 players on a server let alone try for more.

The 16GB limit to Unity was removed once they switched to Unity 2017. 

The server has only 12GB RAM, so how are you getting to 16GB? You'll be using pagefile/swap which is super slow.

You cannot have 35 players and be stable. The game is designed for 8. Stable will be under 20. Unless you have some really nice software, in which case you might be able to hit 30. Past that will not be stable with any hardware.

For only having 12GB RAM, you should not be exceeding the base player count of 8. If you had 16GB RAM, you could probably go to 12 or 16 players.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

The server has only 12GB RAM, so how are you getting to 16GB? You'll be using pagefile/swap which is super slow.

For only having 12GB RAM, you should not be exceeding the base player count of 8. If you had 16GB RAM, you could probably go to 12 or 16 players.

I'm curious to know where you're getting this 12GB of ram information from? He mentioned 16GB of ram, then mentioned upgrading to 128GB of ram.

1. Server is running with accepted 128GB RAM, not 12GB as u said before

2. Stop giving fake info to players, Unity Engine is not working like this and you have probably very bad info as a moderator

3. Doesnt matter how many players is online, this problem is same for 6 players online, same for 20 and same for 35

4. As i said before, after 15.5GB RAM usage, server start kicking players, same problem on Linux and Windows

About 8 players allowed, i dont know what to do, if i can cry or laugh.. A19 Stable, year 2020 and you doing multiplayer game for 8 players, that is pretty sad

5 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

@fNxThese servers seem to be able to handle it. What's different?

A19.0_2020-09-03_20-40-31.thumb.jpg.7f0c76193eff784441ed4ed32cb9e169.jpg

I know they are able to handle it :) But MOD said THEY ARE NOT. Problem begins after A19 Stable release, 2 years this problem was not over here for our servers

• 1 month later...

I'm not 100% sure the game is able to use free memory, atleast not the client.

I had it crash with an 'out of memory' error the day before yesterday, and there was roughly 10Gb free system memory at the time. (32Gb system)

The error said something about "unable to allocate more then 4gb of memory" (not sure bout wording, writing from memory)

While the client regulary uses up 7-8Gb of memory, I suspect not all parts of it can address the memory it needs.

8 hours ago, -Holo- said:

I'm not 100% sure the game is able to use free memory, atleast not the client.

I had it crash with an 'out of memory' error the day before yesterday, and there was roughly 10Gb free system memory at the time. (32Gb system)

The error said something about "unable to allocate more then 4gb of memory" (not sure bout wording, writing from memory)

While the client regulary uses up 7-8Gb of memory, I suspect not all parts of it can address the memory it needs.

Most of the time I've had someone report this, they were clamping their pagefile. Setting it back to system managed resolved the issue.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Most of the time I've had someone report this, they were clamping their pagefile. Setting it back to system managed resolved the issue.

I do have the pagefile disabled, Will keep an extra eye on further issues.

2 minutes ago, -Holo- said:

I do have the pagefile disabled, Will keep an extra eye on further issues.

Yeah no offense, but that's a dumb thing to do.  Set it to system managed, and your issue will go away. You'll also notice some decent performance improvements in other software and the OS.

Archived