Not stable

h0tr0d

I feel that somewhere around the last experimental and now something went awry.

Changelog for A19 b179 + b180 ..around there.

Ever since then I haven't played into a map for long before major issues started appearing for the server. Is it me, or does A19 stable seem unstable?

h0tr0d 2020

My group is playing with a world we created in the first A19 experimental. And expect for glowing symbols and circles whenever we get near wasteland or burned biomes everything seems to work well. The glowing stuff is well explained, so nothing I worry about.

But what is a minor nuisance for one person can be a major hickup for another person. And IMHO there are too many steps involved in cleanly updating to a new alpha which makes me suspect that too many players play with damaged clients or data. Some of it is steams fault, some TFPs and some the fault of careless and computer-illiterate players

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

IMHO there are too many steps involved in cleanly updating to a new alpha which makes me suspect that too many players play with damaged clients or data. Some of it is steams fault, some TFPs and some the fault of careless and computer-illiterate players

What are the actual steps beyond "click the PLAY" button, if the latest_experimental was automatically switched to Stable for the players? And what's there to do to make sure it was "cleanly" updated, if there was no change of data between latest_experimental and the first stable?

15 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

What are the actual steps beyond "click the PLAY" button, if the latest_experimental was automatically switched to Stable for the players? And what's there to do to make sure it was "cleanly" updated, if there was no change of data between latest_experimental and the first stable?

Remnants from previous alphas or previous mod installments might not hurt you immediately but bite you the moment a new b??? comes out.

PS: The OP is talking about the step between B179 and B180, not between B180 and stable.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Remnants from previous alphas or previous mod installments might not hurt you immediately but bite you the moment a new b??? comes out.

PS: The OP is talking about the step between B179 and B180, not between B180 and stable.

It's true that he said "Changelog for A19 b179 + b180 ..around there", but before saying that, he also said "somewhere around the last experimental and now". Technically that means b180 and now stable which is essentially the same build, but of course if there was some sort of change that caused his issues, that change had to come in one of the previous builds in which the data was changed.

Should we consider the possibility that previous mod installations may be involved in his problems, clean installation of the game would fix the problem, but I really doubt he still hasn't tried to do that by now.

1 hour ago, mr.devolver said:

It's true that he said "Changelog for A19 b179 + b180 ..around there", but before saying that, he also said "somewhere around the last experimental and now". Technically that means b180 and now stable which is essentially the same build, but of course if there was some sort of change that caused his issues, that change had to come in one of the previous builds in which the data was changed.

Should we consider the possibility that previous mod installations may be involved in his problems, clean installation of the game would fix the problem, but I really doubt he still hasn't tried to do that by now.

What is a clean installation for you?

Some people have removed the install dir and reinstalled the game 4 times,  but never deleted their generated worlds or their configuration data stored in the registry.

Some people have removed the installation through steam deinstall and reinstalled again but did not notice that their Mod directory is not deleted when you do this (AFAIK).

As I said, it is more complicated than many suspect. In the General Support forum section a substantial part of problems seem to originate from incomplete updates

But I haven't talked about the OP at all, I only commented generally about possible problems that could be sources of his impression. I can't know what the OP's problem is because he didn't go into specifics. So my comment was as general as his question was.

For me a clean installation means uninstall the current and install a new one or at least keep one clean copy as a backup, so that you can always go back to it when something breaks in your copy that you're actively playing.

When it's said that a new world must be started for best experience in new Alpha, the way I understand it is that I can't just try to open a save from the last Alpha with the old world, because that most likely won't work correctly in the new version of the game.

As for deleting the old worlds and/or registry entries, I never really had to do that to solve issues that I ran into. Just starting a new game for sake of testing a new Alpha was alwasys enough to avoid compatibility issues.

As for the Mods, I always create a separate copy of the whole game to play with mods. That way I can always go to my vanilla clean copy in Steam Library without the need to redownload the whole game again when something breaks. It greatly saves time, internet bandwidth and sanity of me as a player and you as moderators who would be bombed with my questions and problem reports...

I wouldn't say that playing it safe is complicated though. I mean sure, it's probably a hard task for you as a moderator to try to answer all kinds of different questions when you don't have much to go on, I can understand that, but then you will probably agree with me when I say that all users should try their best to play it safe by following these simple rules I mentioned above to help avoid running into issues and if they still run into some issues after making sure they did their best to avoid them in the first place, that'd be a good time to come here and report the problem.

40 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

For me a clean installation means uninstall the current and install a new one or at least keep one clean copy as a backup, so that you can always go back to it when something breaks in your copy that you're actively playing.

When it's said that a new world must be started for best experience in new Alpha, the way I understand it is that I can't just try to open a save from the last Alpha with the old world, because that most likely won't work correctly in the new version of the game.

As for deleting the old worlds and/or registry entries, I never really had to do that to solve issues that I ran into. Just starting a new game for sake of testing a new Alpha was alwasys enough to avoid compatibility issues.

As for the Mods, I always create a separate copy of the whole game to play with mods. That way I can always go to my vanilla clean copy in Steam Library without the need to redownload the whole game again when something breaks. It greatly saves time, internet bandwidth and sanity of me as a player and you as moderators who would be bombed with my questions and problem reports...

I wouldn't say that playing it safe is complicated though. I mean sure, it's probably a hard task for you as a moderator to try to answer all kinds of different questions when you don't have much to go on, I can understand that, but then you will probably agree with me when I say that all users should try their best to play it safe by following these simple rules I mentioned above to help avoid running into issues and if they still run into some issues after making sure they did their best to avoid them in the first place, that'd be a good time to come here and report the problem.

You've never seen a rhetorical question before, have you? 😆

PS: On the matter of always starting a new world. By not deleting the old generated worlds and just leaving world name empty lots of players coming from A18 to A19 seem to have started worlds generated in a previous alpha even though it wasn't their intention. This is just general information what can go wrong. A hundred people like you who avoid all pitfalls don't matter much when the rest of the players just follow a random subset of the recommended procedures

On 9/2/2020 at 7:28 AM, meganoth said:

My group is playing with a world we created in the first A19 experimental. And expect for glowing symbols and circles whenever we get near wasteland or burned biomes everything seems to work well. The glowing stuff is well explained, so nothing I worry about.

But what is a minor nuisance for one person can be a major hickup for another person. And IMHO there are too many steps involved in cleanly updating to a new alpha which makes me suspect that too many players play with damaged clients or data. Some of it is steams fault, some TFPs and some the fault of careless and computer-illiterate players

It isn't, as you say, a player. It is me and I know how to do as clean an install as I possibly can.

3 hours ago, h0tr0d said:

It isn't, as you say, a player. It is me and I know how to do as clean an install as I possibly can.

Well, you were asking a very general question "Did A19 b179/b180 go unstable?". So I supplied my case as an example that it can be very stable and also provided examples of causes of instability.

It didn't seem to me as if you were asking for help in your specific case. If you were, you should have posted in "General Support" and posted information about the problems and logs.

Archived