Garage Door Placement - How to Orient It?

zztong

I built a 5x3 garage door. It looked identical on both sides so I didn't know if I needed to be inside or outside of the garage to get it to roll up the correct way. Sigh, I guessed wrong. Now I have a garage door that rolls up outside the garage. This is on a server with no way to fix it, short of destroying it and making a new door.

What did I miss? What should have told me which way to face the garage door?

The first time I rotated it a number of times trying to find the front. I obviously guessed wrong. The second time it seemed to auto-rotate when it got near the walls, so I didn't mess with it further. It rolls up the correct way. Perhaps the dev's just assume the users realize that will happen? If so, it doesn't really match the placement of anything else, so I (for one) wasn't expecting it. That, or I was lucky.

Actually, there are quite a few items that auto-rotate according to placement (bars, both wooden and iron), stairs, windows . . .just a few examples.

Some of the larger items need an arrow or something, because it is often difficult to see them in their entirety when they are close enough to the player to actually place.

LOL, this doesn't even include getting into the weird and inconsistent choices for the pivot point for other items, like the larger, double garage door.

If you click the little book for "Description" it tells you to place the door from the outside and the door rolls away from you. Just loaded the game and checked to verify because I remember my previous base had garage doors on it and remembered seeing it.  Good luck!

• 3 months later...

I placed my rolling door from the outside facing in, it rolled outwards... I destroyed it and made a new one. Placed it while standing inside. It still rolls outward. 
If the color of the door was a little different on the side the it rolls towards. That would make all the difference. Easy fix.

I make as many doors as I'm going to "need",  place them, if wrong, creative mode to get more until placed correctly.

Simply because, we will mess up placing them.  (gonna try placing from outside next time and see)

I also do the same for drawbridges, because getting those placed properly is a big pita.

(pretty much have to fly up to be able to see where the blasted thing goes)

Archived