My Perfect Zombie Game / Comparing 7 Days to Die vs Dying Light vs Project Zomboid

nemo888

As I've just finished another play-though of Dying Light and have started Alpha 19,  i thought it would be fun to compare the zombie games I've been playing recently. 

2108584321_comparing3zombiegames.thumb.jpg.62816c534fd55651ec56bfcc8c143cca.jpg

A couple of points :

• My perfect zombie game would have the dynamic-world & base-building of 7dtd + the movement of DyingLight + the zombie hordes & complexity of Project Zomboid
  • I could have added columns for 'Left 4 Dead' and 'Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead' , although L4D does not have any persistent character progression 
  • It was interesting that DyingLight capped the number of repairs on weapons
  • I guess there should be a row for 'Multiplayer' 

Regardless, it's fun to see in what ways the games are alike or different :)

I demand that you update your spreadsheet to add 'Sneak' to 7D2D!!!111! But srsly, it does have a pretty decent sneak/visual/noise concealment system, with specific perks to augment the ability.

Also the "number of zombies" thing is perfectly fair given default settings, though I think most people not playing on a potato can bump it up from default levels and have a noticeably more-populated world. Maybe still not as good as the Dying Light, though, I don't know. I'm on a pretty modest 9-year-old motherboard/CPU combo and I can play at 4x zombie spawns pretty comfortably. YMMV.

Nice spreadsheet. I dunno anything about the other two games. Or I didn't before reading your post. 👍

I would say that if Dying Light limits number of repairs before you have to either find or craft something new to replace it then it is the only one with item degradation. 7 Days does not truly have item degradation. If you find a Level 6 Machete you get to have it forever. That isn't degradation.

Dying Light has the absolute best zombie animations that I have every seen. The way they would walk and stumble into the front of a car trying to climb the hood was absolutely brilliant, reminded me much of the walking dead Z's. Me thinks it may be time for another playthrough of DL.

I know another game that is a good comparison would be "Dead Island" series.  I like this one to a point but 7 days is fall the best.  But there are others like Resident Evil series, World War Z, Days Gone, Last of US, and State of Decay series.  If I was to compare three on a some what equal level I guess I would use 7 days, Dead Island, Dying light, or sub in State if Decay.  With these possible four would be somewhat equal level as of weapon building and building to some extent.  Just my opinion.

Archived