Jump to content
csens

Crashes Since updating to Alpha 19

Recommended Posts

The game has been crashing for me since updating to Alpha 19. It could be anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple hours in, though with the more troubleshooting I have been doing it seems to happen quicker. I have spent hours troubleshooting and at this point am ready to give up.

 

If I forget to post something that I should, please let me know and I will try to get it. Thank you for any information you can provide.

 

Errors:

After reinstalling the game so many times most of the logs are gone so I am posting the errors from Windows Event Viewer.

 

There are three types of errors that happen.

1) A popup comes up that says 7 days to die has stopped responding. The screen is frozen and the games needs to be closed and reopened.

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: 7daystodie.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000ffff
Faulting process id: 0x7d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67cce5685d993
Faulting application path: E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7daystodie.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: b24c525e-1315-4213-9ee2-1bccc7162768
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

 

Event 1002, Application Hang

The program 7DaysToDie.exe version 2019.2.17.24627 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 7d4
 Start Time: 01d67cce5685d993
 Termination Time: 3
 Application Path: E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe
 Report Id: 962c42f0-aae4-4e62-bcc8-7d2a39866580
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 
 Hang type: Unknown

 

2) The game crashes and restart my computer. This usually has a windows event referencing a dll

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: 7DaysToDie.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e859
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000057b380
Faulting process id: 0x1f24
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67b3e6e6db931
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\UnityPlayer.dll
Report Id: 6314fd2f-60da-408c-9c24-1092966e60ed
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:

 

Or

 

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: 7DaysToDie.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5dc03abb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000314348
Faulting process id: 0x2654
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67b2211543dda
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\MonoBleedingEdge\EmbedRuntime\mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll
Report Id: 4657f985-76ba-44d2-8fde-d4a2998f3d76

 

 

3) BSOD Machine Check Exception. The game freezes, my computer makes a horrible sound for 20 seconds, then bsod occurs. Has happened twice

Other posts have mentioned that bsod means a computer problem. The reason I don't think this is true is because I have used diagnostic tools to check the cpu, memory, and drives.  No other programs on my computer including games on steam have caused BSOD. Also, I downloaded 7dtd Alpha 18.4 and played that for an hour without crashing at all.

 

 

 

Computer Info:

OS/Version: (Windows 10 v1909)

CPU Model: (Intel i5 9600K)

System Memory: (32 GB)

GPU Model and VRAM: (nVidia GTX 1660)

Screen Resolution: (1920 x 1080)

Hard Drive ( Tried running from SSD C drive and separate HDD drive) Plenty of space on both

 

Game Info:

This has been occurring since alpha 19 experimental came out and happens more frequently with the Stable release.

Tried lowering the graphics setting from medium to low to lowest.

 

Error messages from Event Viewer

 

 

Things I have done to try to resolve this:

Complete reinstall (probably 4-5 times by now, got rid of any files and reg entries before reinstalling)

Disabled EAC

Disabled Playsparks

Lowering resolution from 1920 x 1080 (tried full screen and window view)

Updated drivers (Bluetooth, nvidia display adapter, LAN, Sound)

Updated Bios to latest available for Gigabyte Z390 Auros pro wifi

Ran SFC /Scannow

Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic

Ran check disk

Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic tool

CPU temp is fine

Verified files through steam multiple times

Uninstalled and reinstalled steam

Deleted old games. All old games were gone after each reinstall of 7dtd.

Probably other things that I cannot remember

 

 

**I am not going to reinstall Windows 10. I mention this because it seems to come up as a question/suggestion in other places. An OS shouldn't need to be reinstalled for a game to work.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay this is a lot going on here, and a lot of it is pointing at either hardware (ram, I'm guessing) or some OS corruption. Exception code: 0xc0000005 generally points to your system not being able to process what an application is giving it (i.e. files,settings, etc.). So, if you could, give us an output log (information on that in the link above, but it's called output_log in your game folder).

 

(I see you ran sfc /scannow, but let's do that and then the second one, the DISM.exe)

Open your console or powershell in admin, have some spare time, type `  sfc /scannow    `  without the backticks into the console. No matter the outcome of that scan, do another one with ` DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth ` without the backticks again.

 

All said and done, do a memory test after that. Run Windows update. Update drivers. Change your page file management to automatic (Unity doesn't like manual page settings and you have set it up properly anyway)

 

To help further, we need an output log and a dxdiag log (export it in a text file, not a screenshot of the first page).

 

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, csens said:

Other posts have mentioned that bsod means a computer problem. The reason I don't think this is true is because I have used diagnostic tools to check the cpu, memory, and drives.

bsod could also be from drivers or power supply. Check your minidump file to see what caused it. Any overclocking going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both for the information. I will work on the suggestions. I currently have alpha 18.4 installed and cleared everything so it will take a bit to redownload alpha 19 so I can generate a new crash log to post.

 

7 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Okay this is a lot going on here, and a lot of it is pointing at either hardware (ram, I'm guessing) or some OS corruption. Exception code: 0xc0000005 generally points to your system not being able to process what an application is giving it (i.e. files,settings, etc.). So, if you could, give us an output log (information on that in the link above, but it's called output_log in your game folder).

 

(I see you ran sfc /scannow, but let's do that and then the second one, the DISM.exe)

Open your console or powershell in admin, have some spare time, type `  sfc /scannow    `  without the backticks into the console. No matter the outcome of that scan, do another one with ` DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth ` without the backticks again.

 

All said and done, do a memory test after that. Run Windows update. Update drivers. Change your page file management to automatic (Unity doesn't like manual page settings and you have set it up properly anyway)

 

To help further, we need an output log and a dxdiag log (export it in a text file, not a screenshot of the first page).

 

I will go through and do these when I have alpha 19 installed again. I will post the logs the next time I get a crash.

3 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

bsod could also be from drivers or power supply. Check your minidump file to see what caused it. Any overclocking going on?

There is no overoverclocking. I will be sure to check/post the dump file if I get a bsod again. I have updated as many drivers as I could find and completely uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers so I am not sure what else I could do as far as checking the drivers. The power supply is 850w and should be enough for the system. I don't see any windows events indicating a power problem but maybe if I can generate a new dump file it will be in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Okay this is a lot going on here, and a lot of it is pointing at either hardware (ram, I'm guessing) or some OS corruption. Exception code: 0xc0000005 generally points to your system not being able to process what an application is giving it (i.e. files,settings, etc.). So, if you could, give us an output log (information on that in the link above, but it's called output_log in your game folder).

 

(I see you ran sfc /scannow, but let's do that and then the second one, the DISM.exe)

Open your console or powershell in admin, have some spare time, type `  sfc /scannow    `  without the backticks into the console. No matter the outcome of that scan, do another one with ` DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth ` without the backticks again.

 

All said and done, do a memory test after that. Run Windows update. Update drivers. Change your page file management to automatic (Unity doesn't like manual page settings and you have set it up properly anyway)

 

To help further, we need an output log and a dxdiag log (export it in a text file, not a screenshot of the first page).

 

 

 

I have uploaded files showing the results of the sfc/dism commands, windows memory diagnostics, Windows updates, the nvidia driver version, Intel Processor Diagnostic, page file settings, dxdiag log, and the error log I was able to generate after installing alpha 19 again.

 

For Windows updates, everything is installed except the feature update to 2004. I have been avoiding that since I have heard it causes issues (in general, not specific to 7dtd). I can try installing it if it's needed.

 

The crashes have been happening 10-20 minutes into the game. I noticed that if I have EAC enabled the error tends to be the Windows default popup saying that 7 days to die is not responding. If I disable EAC then the error window that pops up references Unity instead of the default not responding window. The output_log that I uploaded is from a crash that occurred when EAC was off.

 

With EAC on:

Faulting application name: 7daystodie.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.815, time stamp: 0xb29ecf52
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9229
Faulting process id: 0x1fe4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67d851bf2e1b9
Faulting application path: E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7daystodie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 36887d94-8bfe-4f24-b6c2-8bc52157ea6b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:

 

With EAC off:

Faulting application name: 7DaysToDie.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e859
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000576c1f
Faulting process id: 0x5ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67d8c33b176ed
Faulting application path: E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie.exe
Faulting module path: E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\UnityPlayer.dll
Report Id: 62d5f7c7-55f6-4229-964d-d1b89fbaf0e4
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:

 

If any other information is needed please let me know.

 

IntelProcessorDiagnosticTool.PNG

Nvidia_driver.PNG

Pagefile.PNG

PS_SFC_DISM_results.PNG

WindowsMemoryDiagnostic_results.PNG

WindowsUpdate.PNG

DxDiag.txt output_log__2020-08-28__18-40-17.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good news is it looks like your computer is rather healthy. It's got to be something Windows 10 related...


Another user having similar issues. Try this step:

 

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat and run EasyAntiCheat.exe

2. Select 7 Days.

3. Click Uninstall.

4. Reboot.

5. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat and run the program again.

6. Select 7 Days and hit Install.

7. Reboot.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

Good news is it looks like your computer is rather healthy. It's got to be something Windows 10 related...


Another user having similar issues. Try this step:

 

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat and run EasyAntiCheat.exe

2. Select 7 Days.

3. Click Uninstall.

4. Reboot.

5. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat and run the program again.

6. Select 7 Days and hit Install.

7. Reboot.

The only option I see in EAC is "Game 17". Is that what I should uninstall?

eac.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Good news is it looks like your computer is rather healthy. It's got to be something Windows 10 related...


Another user having similar issues. Try this step:

 

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat and run EasyAntiCheat.exe

2. Select 7 Days.

3. Click Uninstall.

4. Reboot.

5. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat and run the program again.

6. Select 7 Days and hit Install.

7. Reboot.

 

17 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

bsod could also be from drivers or power supply. Check your minidump file to see what caused it. Any overclocking going on?

I did this and things were looking good for 45 minutes, and then a BSOD came.

 

When I went through the EAC uninstall procedure it ended up completely uninstalling EAC so for step 5 I had to go to E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\EasyAntiCheat\EasyAntiCheat_Setup to install EAC again. I don't know if that makes any difference for the end result.

 

I then tried playing with EAC and got the same crashes in the 10-20 minute range. I then turned EAC off and played for 45 minutes before a bsod: System Service Exception win32kbase.sys.

 

I have updated all the drivers I can find so if this is a driver issue, I don't know what else to try to update.

 

I have attached the minidump file.

 

*edit: and of course my character reset to level 1 after the bsod. It is too tedious and boring to keep playing this way. I feel like I have played the first two days 20 times in the last month. Alpha 18 plays fine, alpha 19 crashes all the time. Whatever "improvements" were added really messed things up.

 

 

082820-7390-01.dmp

Edited by csens
More Info: (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@csens

 

Unfortunately that error is likely due to system file corruption, and a general guess is that because of this, when EAC is trying to hook into the kernel the error happens (coincides with the original EAC error). Do these in order:

 

  1. Open Command Prompt.

  2. Select “Run as Administrator”.

  3. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Run the DISM Tool.

  1. Open Command Prompt as Admin again.

  2. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

 

 

7 Days to Die is very intensive; even though it may not look like Crysis, it stresses your system a lot more than it (and other games). If there's something wrong, this game will find it. That being said, it does run on a vast amount of hardware weak or strong; but like I said, if there's a system instability it will come out for this game lol.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, csens said:

The only option I see in EAC is "Game 17". Is that what I should uninstall?

eac.PNG

Even if you only had one EAC game, you should have all EAC-enabled titles visible. You have definite corruption there.

 

Here is what normal looks like.

spacer.png

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He doesn't have the FAQ link, either. Do those three things in order I posted, maybe then try to manually install EAC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm only playing single player, so I'm not using EasyAntiCheat (always off in launcher) - but I checked mine right now just for the interest...

 

My EasyAntiCheat is looking exactly as csense one, there is only "Game 17" available in the dropdown and also no FAQ link.

Version 4.0.0.0 (29.06.2020)

 

Since 7 days seams to be my only game which is using EasyAntiCheat - "Game 17" has to be 7 days ;)

 

Edited by q123 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My EAC also shows "Game 17" and works fine. Also @csenssaid it crashes with EAC off. So maybe EAC isn't the problem.

 

@csensYou said you ran chkdsk; did you run it on your E:/ and D:/ as well as C:?

Did you exclude E:/SteamGames/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die from your anti-virus program?

Did you delete all the old files from C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoTentaBeth said:

Okay, so I figured it out on my own. I don't know if this solution will work for everyone, but holy crap was it the silliest ever.

First thing I did was going into C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyAntiCheat and then ran the eac .exe and uninstalled it from there. 

Then I went into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days to Die and just deleted the entire EasyAntiCheat folder itself. Don't delete anything else from the 7 Days folder.

Finally, I opened up the Steam launcher, right clicked 7 Days, then properties, went to the local files tab and verified files. As soon as that was done, I was able to launch 7 Days with no issues.

No restart required! YAY!

It seems like uninstalling EAC via the utility doesn't catch everything. You gotta treat it like a virus.  🤣

 

I guess, good thing I'm ridiculously stubborn and like to bash my head against problems for hours on end. 🤣😂

Idk why but it wouldn't let me type anywhere but in the quote box. @q123 and @csens try that out. Although your BSOD is worrying csens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jugginator said:

@csens

 

Unfortunately that error is likely due to system file corruption, and a general guess is that because of this, when EAC is trying to hook into the kernel the error happens (coincides with the original EAC error). Do these in order:

 

  1. Open Command Prompt.

  2. Select “Run as Administrator”.

  3. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Run the DISM Tool.

  1. Open Command Prompt as Admin again.

  2. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

 

 

7 Days to Die is very intensive; even though it may not look like Crysis, it stresses your system a lot more than it (and other games). If there's something wrong, this game will find it. That being said, it does run on a vast amount of hardware weak or strong; but like I said, if there's a system instability it will come out for this game lol.

I went through and ran these commands. Nothing that needed to be repaired was found.

 

 

20 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Even if you only had one EAC game, you should have all EAC-enabled titles visible. You have definite corruption there.

 

Here is what normal looks like.

spacer.png

 

I don't have a lot of games and the ones I do have don't have EAC. I was going to try installing it from a different game but seems like that won't be possible. I wonder if a different version is packaged with 7dtd versus other games that install EAC and that could be why it's different??? I did see other people reply that they also see it as Game 17 in this thread though. My version is listed as 4.0.0.0

 

19 hours ago, Jugginator said:

He doesn't have the FAQ link, either. Do those three things in order I posted, maybe then try to manually install EAC?

 

I did the SFC / Dism commands and I did reinstall EAC. I have tried two different ways: opening the steam client and launching the game which did it and also after uninstalling EAC and restarting I ran the setup file from E:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\EasyAntiCheat to install it. I went to the EAC website but I could not find a download so I am guessing it's only available with the games it's packaged with.

 

17 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

My EAC also shows "Game 17" and works fine. Also @csenssaid it crashes with EAC off. So maybe EAC isn't the problem.

 

@csensYou said you ran chkdsk; did you run it on your E:/ and D:/ as well as C:?

Did you exclude E:/SteamGames/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die from your anti-virus program?

Did you delete all the old files from C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/?

I had originally only run it on C and E since that's where the files are. I have run it on all three drives now just to be sure and no problems were reported. I excluded that directory from Windows defender as well as the appdata 7dtd folder. I have deleted the old app data files. I reinstalled the game quite a few times and made sure the directory was gone before reinstall. I even tried deleting the registry entries before reinstalling.

 

10 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Idk why but it wouldn't let me type anywhere but in the quote box. @q123 and @csens try that out. Although your BSOD is worrying csens

I have gone through and tried this, unfortunately it is still crashing.

 

 

Thank you to everyone for the help and suggestions, I am very grateful.

 

If there is something wrong with Windows 10 that isn't found by the sfc/dism commands is my only option to reset windows 10 and remove everything? Would that even help though? Since sfc/dism don't find anything wrong then resetting might just leave whatever is bad in place. The OS was installed from an OEM disk so I am afraid to actually try a full reinstall since I don't think I will be able to use the activation code again.

 

If there is something wrong with the hardware then I am not sure how to find it since the diagnostic tools report everything as ok. I haven't seen other people reporting the exact same error messages so it does look likes its specific to me :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Full reset of windows 10 (all apps wiped). Installed Steam then 7 days to die. Played for 5 minutes before it hung and crashed.

 

Faulting application name: 7daystodie.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e859
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000043f446
Faulting process id: 0x594
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67e7d36354d5c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7daystodie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\UnityPlayer.dll
Report Id: d8c9cf4e-5e31-4f1e-aa33-2dce746e13ab
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

 

 

Edit: I am going to try memtest86 overnight in case it finds something the built in memory diagnostic tool did not.

Edited by csens
More info added (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, csens said:

Full reset of windows 10 (all apps wiped). Installed Steam then 7 days to die. Played for 5 minutes before it hung and crashed.

 

Faulting application name: 7daystodie.exe, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e6e4
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.2.17.24627, time stamp: 0x5df1e859
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000043f446
Faulting process id: 0x594
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67e7d36354d5c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7daystodie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\UnityPlayer.dll
Report Id: d8c9cf4e-5e31-4f1e-aa33-2dce746e13ab
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

 

 

Edit: I am going to try memtest86 overnight in case it finds something the built in memory diagnostic tool did not.

That error is usually access violation, or a hardware RAM issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always try the ol' trick of running the system with one stick at a time to see if one if any is bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@csensThis is a long shot but maybe check your power cables to your GPU and Motherboard.

And reseat your GPU. After that I'd run some stress tests like Furmark and Prime95 to see if

the thing crashes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memtest86 was run overnight and found nothing.

 

I took my computer apart and changed the power cable to the GPU. It's a modular power supply so I changed where it was plugged into the PS as well. Made sure everything was seated correctly.

 

Earlier someone asked about overclock and I said it was not setup (since I did not make any changes or try to set it up). Software that I installed showed the CPU clock was at 4500 despite is being an i5-9600k @3.70 ghz. I looked into and it looks like Intel Turbo Boost is enabled by default and automatically increases the clock when possible. I don't know if that counts as overclocking, but I disabled it and the CPU clock is showing as 3700 mhz now.

 

I haven't tested yet but if the problem still happens then I will try running with one stick of 16 gb ram instead of two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, csens said:

the CPU clock was at 4500

That's within the design specs of your cpu. It should do 4600 in turboboost. Turning it off though is a good test for heat and throttling.

If things don't improve with it off though, I'd turn it back on.

 

9 minutes ago, csens said:

I will try running with one stick of 16 gb ram instead of two.

Since your overnight memory tests didn't find an error, this test is probably a waste of time.

 

11 minutes ago, csens said:

I took my computer apart and changed the power cable to the GPU.

What about the extra power cable to the motherboard? (not the 24 pin) There's an additional 4 or 8 pin connector to your motherboard that needs to be connected. It's normally close to the cpu as it supplies extra current for your processor.

 

You've eliminated a lot of things with your testing so that's good progress.

 

So far it's not: EAC, Memory, disk corruption, Windows file system corruption, Game file corruption, graphics driver, Antivirus, Mods, ....

 

How about Heat? You can install an app like HWINFO and track temperatures of your GPU and CPU while the game is running.

If the game doesn't run long enough for you to do that you could check it while running Furmark (for GPU) and Prime95 (for CPU).

These apps stress test your GPU and CPU so are good at finding issues in hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beelzybub said:

Since your overnight memory tests didn't find an error, this test is probably a waste of time.

I've seen extensive memory testing miss things once or twice that taking ram out one stick at a time showed. But yeah, probably indeed lol.

 

An absolute crazy troubleshooting would be to remove the GPU and run off of the on board. I have seen some really weird, non explainable things with Win10...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JugginatorI wonder if the GPU ram could be funky. Is there a test for that?

Also, some GPUs come pre-overclocked so that could be a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After turning Intel Turbo Boost off in the BIOS, I was able to play for a couple hours and there have been no crashes. I am cautiously hopeful that it's fixed.

 

I used HWINFO to track the GPU temp and it was between 60 and 81C with an average of 72. My guess is that with Intel Turbo Boost enabled it either used too much power which caused the problem or maybe when Intel Turbo Boost tried to lower the frequency because it wasn't getting enough power the game didn't like it. I am not really sure.

 

There is a second 4 pin CPU power port on the motherboard next to the 8 pin port that I was not using. I thought without overclocking that it wouldn't be necessary. I have connected the 4 pin port now. I haven't turned Intel Turbo Boost back on yet because I am just glad to be playing the game and don't want problems. I will give it a try later to see what happens.

 

Again thanks to everyone. I wouldn't have been able to figure this out without your help.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...