Animal Tracker

OneManStanding

I use the animal tracker perk and find the first level quite good: Hunker down, if there's an animal within 20 to 30 meters the paws will turn green, follow the indicator on your compass and kill the animal. If there's not an animal within range it will say you don't spot any tracks. A newly added on-screen icon helps you spot the little critter in the tall grass.

This perk has found chickens and rabbits in relative abundance that I would have blithely walked right past, and has contributed to a reliable stockpile of meat in our base.

Then I tried level 2 - supposedly allowing me to detect larger animals - and the thing seemed to bug out. The paws were turning green all the time but no compass indicator was showing up at all. It wouldn't even show me nearby rabbits and chickens, which I had to spot the old fashioned way ... such as when a chicken tried to cross the road.

I spent extended time wandering in and out of range trying to zero in on the animals I was detecting before turning to the elixir that allowed me to reset to level 1, which works well enough.

I have been given the impression that not a lot of players use the animal tracker perk, or are under the impression that it is broken. The first level is reliable enough. Does anyone have experience of the higher ranks of this perk working? Is there some special technique or something I'm missing? Level 2 seems bugged to me.

Hi OneManStanding

Currently I do not use it because it makes me lose valuable points, which is difficult for me to win, as with lucky looter, I only add 1 point and that's all.
What you can do is edit the file and increase the range to detect or you can do it by mod, although for me, it is not worth the perk.

Just an update regarding this issue, I perked back into level 2 of Animal Tracker without glasses. I picked up a wolf that was outside the hospital we were looting. I thought the issue was resolved, but when I tried to use my hunting ability to go and hunt outside I encountered the same problem - paws were turning green but there was no icon on the compass to tell me what or where it was.

I'm wondering, just off the top of my head, if there's maybe some animal icon missing somewhere in the game data...? Rabbit, Chicken and Wolf show up.

Further to this issue, I jumped into creative and did some testing.

I killed off a few animals and then backed away from some surviving chickens until the icons disappeared off my compass. The paws remained green and behaved as if I was tracking an animal - stand back up, get the countdown, duck back down and it resets to 20 - but nothing was showing on the compass. If I let the countdown expire and then ducked back down, I couldn't detect any animals until I went close to the chickens again.

Turning 360, paws are green but no animal icons.

*This occurred whilst using level 2 of the perk, forgot to check level 1 but I've not had issues with level 1.

I also have this issue. It worked fine on level 1, but starting from level 2 I got this issue.

Exactly same problem as OP with identical symptoms.

Some of us have this issue, but some don't (Animal Tracker on level 2) so we did a clean install and it didn't help.

I persevered with the level 2 of the Animal Tracker skill and have noticed it tends to occur near to the Fog of War - that's the greyed off area which you haven't explored yet.

The paws turn green but no animal appears on the hud. Until you let the tracker count down expire then the tracker will not reset and will remain green. I think the perk will continue to register an animal in the area until you explore out the nearby Fog of War and then the animal will no longer be detected.

In my own game I have hunted most local animals around the base and town, meaning I go into newer areas to hunt fresh game - meaning more Fog of War. Anyone who might try to recreate the bug in a creative mode will have more local animals throwing off the tracker.

• 3 weeks later...

In my game, it is the cigar that breaks the icons.  

To be clear, most of the time when I get the green paw prints I do not get icons on either the compass or the map while wearing the cigar.  Sometimes I do get the icons, but I'd say it's something like 5-10% of attempts.  When I remove the cigar from my the face slot, the icons on the compass and map reappear. 

Hope this helps others

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2020 at 5:02 AM, Tuk said:

In my game, it is the cigar that breaks the icons.  

To be clear, most of the time when I get the green paw prints I do not get icons on either the compass or the map while wearing the cigar.  Sometimes I do get the icons, but I'd say it's something like 5-10% of attempts.  When I remove the cigar from my the face slot, the icons on the compass and map reappear. 

Hope this helps others

Thank you!  I've been having this issue also.  Removing the glasses didn't work but I can keep them on and remove the cigar and it does work.

Well i did see this animal tracker on YouTube and it's perfect. ( had some problems with finding animals) But... If I go to my skills, I can not even find the skill.

I play on the xbox btw.

Is it a mod or something or standard to the game? Because I can not even find it.

I am having the same problem. I started wearing a pair of the +1 Fortitude glasses before I put the 2nd point into Animal Tracker, so it's possible that they are the problem. I never had a single problem with Rank 1 Animal Tracker. Rank 2 will show the green paw icon but rarely shows an open world icon (on the animal itself). I have found many coyotes and snakes with it, but the on-animal icon for the chickens and rabbits seem to be broken. Several times I have had a chicken or rabbit run right pass me without an on-animal icon while it says there is an animal in the area but it doesn't have an icon on it and there is no icon in the compass overhead. I will do some testing with taking the glasses off and possibly resetting my points, but this is absolutely a bug!

Ok. WOW! It is absolutely the goggles. I have the Tough Guy Glasses on giving me +1 Fortitude and Level 4 Perception with Rank 2 Animal Tracker. I just confirmed that, AS SOON AS I take them off, the animal tracking works 100%!! I took them off, went out to do some hunting, found 6/6 chickens and rabbits and it was working normal with the green paw buff, the overhead compass icon, and on-animal icon. I even went as far as to find a rabbit, put the glasses back on, and confirm that the compass and on-animal icons disappear. Then I take them back off and they reappear. No doubt about it! I continued to hunt the rest of the day and killed probably 6 more chickens and rabbits. Yes, I do have Animal Tracker Rank 2, but I was in the forest biome while testing this and deer, boar, wolves and bears have been very scarce on our world. If anything changes, I'll let you guys know, but it was 100% apparent that having the glasses on caused the issue.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, SylenThunder said:

We're investigating an issue where it could be bugged when wearing glasses that modify stats.

There also seem to be happening when some player in your Party has the Inspiring Leader feature, that modify your stats, too.

I have the Nerdy Glasses and the Cigar, and also my friend uses that perk.

When I get off my glasses and cigar, and he is far away, the perk seems to work better. But when we are close and/or I'm wearing the glasses and cigar, the prey never get shown in the map/compass, but only in my status.

Archived