Is Their Computer Just Too Old?

Scyth

Friend started playing with us just at the end of A18 and was doing okay on their ancient computer; however, with the transition to A19, they are crashing regularly even on the lowest settings. Is there something else that can be done even with turning every quality setting to low? Or do they just have to give up the ghost?

O/S Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5-4690K

RAM: 8GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

He might check that the virtual memory/swap is set to "system managed" in Windows.

He could also try to change a few video settings to see if that helps: Dynamic resolution, vsync, fullscreen. If it doesn't help he should set them back to default though. Did he already turn down the resolution or is he still playing full-hd?

If all of above did not help he should post the log file from a session that crashed, without that information everyone in the forum can only guess. Info how to find and post it are in the sticky thread here in "General Support" that says to read it before creating new threads.

A19 is not finished, limited bugs and performance improvements will still happen, maybe he has more luck with A19.1, A19.2 or A19.3

My laptop has 8gb ram and an i3 3110M with no video card and I rarely (been a long while now) crash. As what Mega said tell him to keep his page file to automatic, run Windows updates / get new drivers if any and should be good to go.

Always keep textures half or less when messing with settings, but I did notice that 8Gb isn't enough for an 8k world sometimes, try sticking to Navez or making 4k worlds for now.

Oh, and don't use automatic dynamic resolution, it uses resources to fix a resource issue.. lol. Set it to scaled.

Yeah that hardware meets min-specs, so it should run ok with some adjustment to video settings. Jugginator is correct on the maps too. Especially when the GPU has less than 4GB RAM. If the GPU has less than 4GB VRAM, the game is forced to use regular RAM for loading textures, and since you don't have enough of that already, the amount of RAM required for a larger map can be overwhelming.

Archived