First impressions of A19...

Fox

The game has bigger problems like an unfinished quest system, lack of mobile quest NPCs, lack of factions and general gameplay loop repetitiveness. But yeah, sure, lets have the devs focus on making the grass look nice. 

All I want is bandits and better questing (an actual storyline) introduced into the game. Graphical improvements can go on the developer backburner for all I care.

On 8/23/2020 at 2:42 PM, JCrook1028 said:

If you're trying to say it looks worse than 18 you're either lying or you have something seriously wrong with your hardware. Fact.

I have to agree with this guy, A19 is the best the game has ever looked graphically, and I been around since a9 or 10.

A19's major problem is the loot system has ruined the game for most players. Thankfully a a19.1 patch could revert it back to a18 style loot quite easly as it just needs a18's loot.xml with the a19 items added in the right loot groups so 2 files need to be edited I guess? The fact Roland even had to make a post about it shows how generally negative the response to the loot change has been. Its been pretty much the only major issue people have with a19 so far other than people crying trying to run this on potato pc's and it running badly.

I actually liked a19 other than the loot change, even when I first heard of the loot changes in the a19 dev thread I was worried it was going to destroy the game for many people, and it did. The loot change though is so bad that it just has killed my desire to play anymore and I am not the only one.

With a18 loot: Each game was different as you never know what your gonna find, you can sometimes get lucky and get a quality 1 auger on day 1-2 if your very lucky.

A19 loot: every container is filled with nothing but stone garbage for the first few days, after that, nothing but iron/tier2, same linear pattern every game makes it boring to start a new game, as its the same loot wise every time and looting is one of the bigger if not biggest parts of the game next to killing zombies.

I can deal with losing learn by doing, I still feel it was a mistake to remove it, it just needed some tweaks to it, but this loot system has got to go, a completly linear loot system does not belong in a sandbox style game at all. Even if they add more items in each type, its still the same linear system, you'll never have a chance to find anything like a steel tool or a nice gun early game period.

4 hours ago, bida2 said:

The game has bigger problems like an unfinished quest system, lack of mobile quest NPCs, lack of factions and general gameplay loop repetitiveness. But yeah, sure, lets have the devs focus on making the grass look nice. 

All I want is bandits and better questing (an actual storyline) introduced into the game. Graphical improvements can go on the developer backburner for all I care.

I also agree with you, the graphics in a19 are nice, they need to stop focusing on graphics now and start focusing on adding content, add in the rest of the hd zombies, then stop messing with graphics other than optimizations, and start bringing in more content. My main issue in 7dtd is currently once your established which can be as early as day 7 or 14, there is really no point to keep playing as you pretty much won the game in a survival game.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:06 PM, Jugginator said:

I can almost safely bet that by lowering the particles slider % will help with that, try that out.

err nope particles slider just ease gpu /cpu perfomance this thing he  mentions happens usually  +- once per hour for me

2-3 second freeze with  0% gpu /cpus and very small hdd usage followed  by 2-4GB  drop in ram usage

that  guy  mentioning

Raestloz

is likely correct by connecting it to "flushing obsolete bloated stuff from memory"

but why it happen only to some people ... and why it happens in sudden huge surges instead smooth process in background over time ... thats the mystery :D

7 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I suppose the grass does look nice in that game, but it's like ridiculously lush and green. Switzerland is only greener out of envy. Survival in paradise.

I think you missed the point. Sure the grass in RW wouldn't look right in 7d2d, it's just too cheerful and green. But they can easily change the colors a bit to make it look more doom and gloom. I was just referring to how filled out the grass is, how realistic it feels compared to how weird and patchy 7d2d feels.

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Graphically speaking, I wouldn't play Rising World just for their nicer grass and relatively better FPS if the gameplay is not fun.  I know the title of this thread is A19 first impressions, so I get why you decided to focus on the grass as its one of the first things you see when you spawn in LOL....  However, if you can look past the grass, the PBR lighting and zombie HD textures are graphically impressive.  It is very much a step forward graphically in my opinion.

I wouldn't either. And I think you missed the point as well. Obviously I can get passed the graphics issues and still play the game, otherwise I wouldn't still be here even after 7+ years of development. Although, the more I play, the more annoyed I am with the game... like the horrible new looting system, making looting pointless and boring to do now. Zombies looking more colorful and less threatening (though maybe just relates to better lighting reflecting off them now?). Missing AI attack animations 50% of the time during melee fights, etc. Obviously the game has a lot of issues to work out, but the grass and janky animations despite 60+fps was just the first thing I noticed when I spawned into the game... hence first impressions thread, which not everyone can do as they all play the experimental versions as well.

11 hours ago, Fox said:

I think you missed the point. Sure the grass in RW wouldn't look right in 7d2d, it's just too cheerful and green. But they can easily change the colors a bit to make it look more doom and gloom. I was just referring to how filled out the grass is, how realistic it feels compared to how weird and patchy 7d2d feels.

I do know what your point is, but a point I was hinting at was that I could easily be a person playing that game on their forum expressing my disappointment in how the grass is too green and not patchy enough, which is also unrealistic. Things just don't normally look like that everywhere. I think the problem is that it is easy to make something like grass look one way and repeat it. It is probably more performant that way too.
Ultimately though, back to the point, nobody here knows what sacrifices would have to be made once more gameplay is added into RW. A scene of just grass and trees is not enough to determine much at all and I don't see it as a fair comparison.

Eco Survival is a game that has a ton of stuff going on, on top of a destructible voxel world. They have chosen a cartoony aesthetic, but it's cohesive and very nice looking. A poor example of visual realism, but a great example of how a voxel game can be packed with features while still looking good. Of course this game would also be an unfair comparison because although there are many animals, each with their own animations and AI, the only real interaction of them with the player is running away.

Probably the fairest game to compare 7D2D to would be Empyrion. It's a great game, but I have yet to see anything in it that I would consider superior to 7D2D.

5 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@meganoth People not logged in obviously get the censored version. Like the people that are logged in with steam id and do not own the game.

That could be a solution. But the server would need to store 2 versions of any post now or make a cleaning pass whenever an anon users accesses the forum. Don't think that feature is in much demand by forum operators.

Listen I truly think he over pumped his system and almost purposely set up to fail. I have played since 16. And I build a new gaming system every two years.  My system is almost two years old now and I have to tell you the graphics are best ever. Like all the new npc looks and houses. Etc.  

Only complaints I agree with are screamers constantly when mining. Ransacking a building. Etc.  But since the world is devoid of roaming zombies at least this is a way to get attacked.  Also the bandits, how long have we been promised bandits? 

More diverse missions would be nice as well.  But all in all this is the best version of the game so far that I have played. Which 16 on

Graphics-wise I think A19 is a lot better.. but I strongly agree about the grass. I have done a lot of mapping and world editor work on several games over several engines, and this exact shading issue (shading coefficient on terrain vs S.C. on grass/ground clutter) being completely opposite, hence the "shadows on the ground but full light grass" looks terrible

Archived