Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
grieferbastard

grieferbastard

Forgot to add

4 hours ago, Boidster said:

That is literally what it does. This thread covers it in some detail for a specific container. However the odds to get some items are 0% for several levels before getting to 0.1% or whatever. Sounds like people would like that 0.1% or 0.01% chance of T3 gear dropping on day 1 - "winning the lottery" as canadianbluebeer put it. I can understand that. It's a very easy mod to make. Just edit these three values in loot.xml:

<lootprobtemplate name="ProbT1">
        <loot level="0,9" prob="0"/>

<lootprobtemplate name="ProbT2">
        <loot level="0,48" prob="0"/>

<lootprobtemplate name="ProbT3">
        <loot level="0,88" prob="0"/>

If you put "0.001" in there, you'd have your lottery chance. It's a complex calc, but it essentially works out even so to a 1/1000 chance for T1, T2, or T3 weapons, tools, or armor, and a 4/1000 chance for T2 or T3 ammo from, for example, a Shotgun Messiah crate, at GS 1-10. Once you get to GS 10, 49, or 89 (for T1, T2, T3 respectively) then you'll revert to the normal probabilities which start at 0.04 (again, complex calc is involved; this does not mean "4% chance").

I would not want them putting that into the vanilla game, personally, because I do think finding a T3 implement on Day 3 is game breaking. At least until/unless we get (or I mod in) item degradation. Or play like Roland is playing right now, with no repair kits allowed. At least in that case that T3 lottery win would be a very precious commodity and I would want to use it only sparingly until I was high enough GS to find replacements more easily. As it is now, find a steel pickaxe and I am geared up forever in the pickaxe department. Boring.

I absolutely get what you're saying - what I would say is that we need tiered repair options. To put it simply a steel pickaxe needs a steel grade repair kit to repair.

I would also like to see mods being the real 'end game' unlocks and valuable things to find. Rather than a legendary shotgun for example, a legendary shotgun mod that, for example, lights everything you shoot on fire. This way you can find a legendary mod early and it gives a bit of a boost to your blunderbuss; however it'll make your autoshotgun that you get much later the raised middle finger of god.

If I find a steel pickaxe on day 3, but repairing it means I literally have to keep clearing POIs and scrapping other steel things to get steel to make steel repair kits to keep using as I can't yet make steel myself, that's a GOOD thing. It adds value and has an intrinsic sustaining cost.

It's not that I want RNG lottery winning to be a thing - it's that currently clearing a POI before day 21 and level 50+ gives you trash. There's no point in doing it, I'm expending more resources than it'll give me and breaking down all the office equipment will give me more actual real valuable useable goods than the loot crates. So shift loot crate loot to be rare mods or crafting materials or things I can't craft a better version of at whatever game stage I'm in. Or make it so finding steel grade gear early means you've got to constantly be clearing POIs trying to find other steel goods to break down to repair it.

I would also agree in general with several people that the traders are, in their way, broken and game breaking for this sort of circumstance. That's a different conversation however.

Edited to add -

Or replace quality with quantity. If the loot crates in early game gave me, say, 2,000 scrap iron or 1,000 nitrite, that's 'paying me back' the half a day I spent trying to clear the big POI to get there. If there's too much concern over higher tier gear then make it large caches of raw materials. Concrete, cobblestone, coal, iron, lead, brass, paper, etc.

grieferbastard

grieferbastard

4 hours ago, Boidster said:

That is literally what it does. This thread covers it in some detail for a specific container. However the odds to get some items are 0% for several levels before getting to 0.1% or whatever. Sounds like people would like that 0.1% or 0.01% chance of T3 gear dropping on day 1 - "winning the lottery" as canadianbluebeer put it. I can understand that. It's a very easy mod to make. Just edit these three values in loot.xml:

<lootprobtemplate name="ProbT1">
        <loot level="0,9" prob="0"/>

<lootprobtemplate name="ProbT2">
        <loot level="0,48" prob="0"/>

<lootprobtemplate name="ProbT3">
        <loot level="0,88" prob="0"/>

If you put "0.001" in there, you'd have your lottery chance. It's a complex calc, but it essentially works out even so to a 1/1000 chance for T1, T2, or T3 weapons, tools, or armor, and a 4/1000 chance for T2 or T3 ammo from, for example, a Shotgun Messiah crate, at GS 1-10. Once you get to GS 10, 49, or 89 (for T1, T2, T3 respectively) then you'll revert to the normal probabilities which start at 0.04 (again, complex calc is involved; this does not mean "4% chance").

I would not want them putting that into the vanilla game, personally, because I do think finding a T3 implement on Day 3 is game breaking. At least until/unless we get (or I mod in) item degradation. Or play like Roland is playing right now, with no repair kits allowed. At least in that case that T3 lottery win would be a very precious commodity and I would want to use it only sparingly until I was high enough GS to find replacements more easily. As it is now, find a steel pickaxe and I am geared up forever in the pickaxe department. Boring.

I absolutely get what you're saying - what I would say is that we need tiered repair options. To put it simply a steel pickaxe needs a steel grade repair kit to repair.

I would also like to see mods being the real 'end game' unlocks and valuable things to find. Rather than a legendary shotgun for example, a legendary shotgun mod that, for example, lights everything you shoot on fire. This way you can find a legendary mod early and it gives a bit of a boost to your blunderbuss; however it'll make your autoshotgun that you get much later the raised middle finger of god.

If I find a steel pickaxe on day 3, but repairing it means I literally have to keep clearing POIs and scrapping other steel things to get steel to make steel repair kits to keep using as I can't yet make steel myself, that's a GOOD thing. It adds value and has an intrinsic sustaining cost.

It's not that I want RNG lottery winning to be a thing - it's that currently clearing a POI before day 21 and level 50+ gives you trash. There's no point in doing it, I'm expending more resources than it'll give me and breaking down all the office equipment will give me more actual real valuable useable goods than the loot crates. So shift loot crate loot to be rare mods or crafting materials or things I can't craft a better version of at whatever game stage I'm in. Or make it so finding steel grade gear early means you've got to constantly be clearing POIs trying to find other steel goods to break down to repair it.

I would also agree in general with several people that the traders are, in their way, broken and game breaking for this sort of circumstance. That's a different conversation however.