Am I cheesing?

Ezed

11 hours ago, Ezed said:

That's a thought for the stable release...maybe leave them concrete. Everything in the core is steel now except the bars...wish we could have steel bars.  

Steel bars would have been nice indeed. 
I use a combination of iron bars and (when eventually upgraded) Steel poles and/or steel centered poles. Upgraded from concrete.
I will upload a picture later if i don't forget about it.

17 hours ago, Ezed said:

Didn't even see them in the mob, just heard a couple of beeps then BOOM!

Has happened to me as well. A few seconds later, all the blade traps were gone.

Fortunately I still had the electric fences and dart traps as a second line of defence and a lot of 7.68mm ammunition. :)

Here is how I see it: If you were in this world in real life, would you not use everything you could to survive, every imaginable way to trick the walking dead and keep from being eaten? Would anyone in the Walking Dead say, "well that is a bit unfair to the walkers, I should make it easier for them", not likely.

The game is a survival game, that means survive, not trying to be fair to the enemy trying to eat you, just survive some way some how. I do not even see the idea of avoiding them on horde night cheating, you just outsmarted the enemy in the game, good job. I guess the enemy would be the fun pimps programming, but outsmarting the enemy in any way in a survival game without using god mode or cheats is still winning IMO.

On 8/21/2020 at 2:45 PM, bobrpggamer said:

Here is how I see it: If you were in this world in real life, would you not use everything you could to survive, every imaginable way to trick the walking dead and keep from being eaten? Would anyone in the Walking Dead say, "well that is a bit unfair to the walkers, I should make it easier for them", not likely.

The game is a survival game, that means survive, not trying to be fair to the enemy trying to eat you, just survive some way some how. I do not even see the idea of avoiding them on horde night cheating, you just outsmarted the enemy in the game, good job. I guess the enemy would be the fun pimps programming, but outsmarting the enemy in any way in a survival game without using god mode or cheats is still winning IMO.

That is a perfectly valid and logical point, but there is a problem when applying it to 7D2D.
The issue with this game that many of the players consider to be "cheese" is when outsmarting requires no smarts at all. There has been a lot of that in the past and some of it still continues. There is no good job here. If it actually requires some brains and skill, then a "good job" truly was done. I might even say, then, that a survival game was actually made.

Well I suppose the enemy then could be seen as only the fun pimps cleverness but if you look at it that way it kind breaks the idea of survival and you focus on what AI routines they come up with. Immersion can also be broken by looking at the game as a series of programing techniques instead of a world to survive in. I like games that draw me in and forget it was made by a bunch of guys or gals sitting around a computer, STALKER is one that I can think of and so is the Thief series (before Thief IV). If you can get lost in the game and not say things like 'why did they put that in there" then you know you have a fun game.

Remember they are the walking dead and not really supposed to be that bright to begin with. Until bandits come out if you look at it that way it makes perfect sense that they are not going to figure out something a clever human came up with - and that may be the reason bandits have not come to the game by now. If you watch enough zombie movies this will also make sense, especially The Walking Dead in season 1 or 2 when they went to the CDC and the guy explained how they only have the drive to eat not sit around and come up with a clever plan to attack a base.

The fun pimps are going to have a lot of programing to give to the bandits when they come into the game because they actually think like humans and can come up with a plan to get by the turrets or use projectile fire instead of just bashing down walls.

4 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Its not about making stuff easier, its about being able to have steel bars. Besides, that reference to the walking dead is invalid. There aren't zombies in the Walking Dead, that can eat through reinforced concrete either. But in 7d2d they can.

Yeah well 7D2D has super zombies, but then you get enough of them and they can go through wood eventually, but concrete would be impossible with brittle bones I guess, unless they get milk in their diet are have sense enough to take vitamins.

That is what always bugged me about The Walking Dead, there is not enough guys like Eugene to make inventions like blade traps out of scrap metal and engines or even to make concrete walls or bunkers, then again they are mainly fighting humans in the show which is realistic but a scary thing to think about, where wandering dead that want to eat you are the least of their worries most of the time.

Imagine long blades from helicopters or similar put on a flatbed truck with a plow on the front, the blades use a series of differentials from a standard engine to swing the blades and just plow through a herd chopping the zombies in half with the blades on the sides and then using a steamroller on the crawling ones. I would love to see that.

Archived