Are TFP still making money out of the console versions of 7DTD?

Kyonshi

I'm sorry to ask because I totally assume that the question indeed has been asked before. I just need some clarifications. I'm arguing with people about the subject.

As I understand it, TFP reacquired the rights to port the IP to a future console but not to publish the console version themselves. They would need to outsource another console publisher like Telltale since TFP are solely PC developers. So this means that Telltale is still making money out of the console version and TFP aren't, or am i wrong on this? Telltale still owns their own rights to publish the last version of 7DTD they could produce on console?

People are mad and think TFP are ripping them off by making lots of money from the PC version first and secondly by ranking cash from the console ports, thus giving the impression they are screwing up the console community. I know its no surprise to some of you deeply involved in the development of the game with TFP, but this crap is still going on on other discussion boards. And personally, I'm getting fed up seeing people crapping on such hard-working, independent studio about a game i love. *shrugs*

The official announcement is pretty clear (note that in no way do I think this means TFP is "ripping anyone off", and I probably would take issue with the "lots of money" phrasing from your arguees, Kyonshi).

After a long and tedious legal process in a closed auction, The Fun Pimps have re-acquired full console publishing rights on the current and all future versions of 7 Days to Die on PS4 and the Xbox One

A plain reading of that says that TFP is the publisher of the current (and all future) version of 7D2D on console. I guess there is a case to be made for ambiguity as to whether that meant the current version of the PC 7D2D game at the time, or the current - as in now on sale - version on console. The simpler reading is the latter - that TFP regained the rights to the current console version, as well as any future ones. So to the extent people are still buying it on console and to the extent "the publisher" gets a cut of the fees, I'd expect that to be going to TFP. Good for them, they need the money.

This thread to be moved in 3...2...1...

1 hour ago, Kyonshi said:

So this means that Telltale is still making money out of the console version and TFP aren't, or am i wrong on this? Telltale still owns their own rights to publish the last version of 7DTD they could produce on console

TellTale Games doesn't own anything or make money on anything because they no longer exist as a company at all. 

2 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Well, not the same company way. And not with any 7D2D-related licenses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telltale_Games_(2018–present)

Thanks for the clarifications earlier.

But one thing still bugs me. On the Playstation Store, 7DTD still has Telltale mentioned as the publisher. Shouldn't it be updated so TFP appears instead of them?

It should and the request was made. Microsoft changed it on their store but we must wait upon the good graces of Sony.

TFP as well as Microsoft and Sony are earning profits from the sales of the console version. The latter two depending on which store the game was purchased from. TFP is publisher in name only as they don't actually have the resources to act as publisher. Those who feel ripped off have an erroneous expectation that the console version is meant to become just like the PC version. This is not the case and was never ever going to be the case as there are simply some things the PC version does that the console versions cannot. 

Those who enjoy the console version for what it is and get $30 worth of playtime and fun out of it are unlikely to feel cheated. I know people who absolutely love the console version just the way it is. There is no reason to assume that new players who discover the game in the Microsoft store or Playstation store and purchase it and play it won't have fun and feel they got their money's worth. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with Microsoft and Sony continuing to sell the game in their respective stores and there is nothing wrong with TFP taking their cut as well.

People play games all the time that they feel underwhelmed by and that don't live up to their expectations. Those games are still sold and there are other people who love them. The people who end up feeling disappointed don't get their money back. In turn, they will probably be extra careful before purchasing another game from that publisher which is fair. I know that I absolutely will not be buying TFP's next game on console. I'll snap it up for PC though....

On 8/11/2020 at 10:43 PM, Roland said:

It should and the request was made. Microsoft changed it on their store but we must wait upon the good graces of Sony.

TFP as well as Microsoft and Sony are earning profits from the sales of the console version. The latter two depending on which store the game was purchased from. TFP is publisher in name only as they don't actually have the resources to act as publisher. Those who feel ripped off have an erroneous expectation that the console version is meant to become just like the PC version. This is not the case and was never ever going to be the case as there are simply some things the PC version does that the console versions cannot. 

Those who enjoy the console version for what it is and get $30 worth of playtime and fun out of it are unlikely to feel cheated. I know people who absolutely love the console version just the way it is. There is no reason to assume that new players who discover the game in the Microsoft store or Playstation store and purchase it and play it won't have fun and feel they got their money's worth. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with Microsoft and Sony continuing to sell the game in their respective stores and there is nothing wrong with TFP taking their cut as well.

People play games all the time that they feel underwhelmed by and that don't live up to their expectations. Those games are still sold and there are other people who love them. The people who end up feeling disappointed don't get their money back. In turn, they will probably be extra careful before purchasing another game from that publisher which is fair. I know that I absolutely will not be buying TFP's next game on console. I'll snap it up for PC though....

I would still probably buy another console game from TFP but I'd do some research first. While I do enjoy the console version when playing with my son and brother it does feel very empty compared to the current PC version. :( That is no fault on TFP but on Tell Tale who for some odd reason felt a console version of the choose your own adventure books was a viable thing to sell.

*Edit* When I say choose your own adventure I am talking about their primary games they sell not 7D2D.

Archived