Tried A19, A16 is still best Alpha

~Kevin~

On 8/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, eXSe said:

A16 is when I found this gem of a game and it was great. After that all we got were fancier graphics and simplification of the game.

LOL.
If you think so. I flatly disagree and directly state you are living in a dreamworld.
I started playin in A15/16 and that @%$*#! is GARBAGE compared to A19.

You are just pissy over a recode that isnt finished yet and might as well be on here asking to go back to 56k dial up because it reminds you of the golden age when telephones wernt the devil.
Whatever. x'D
Youre entitled to your wrong opinion. Again, thank god yall the minority.

11 hours ago, Pichii said:

LOL.
If you think so. I flatly disagree and directly state you are living in a dreamworld.
I started playin in A15/16 and that @%$*#! is GARBAGE compared to A19.

You are just pissy over a recode that isnt finished yet and might as well be on here asking to go back to 56k dial up because it reminds you of the golden age when telephones wernt the devil.
Whatever. x'D
Youre entitled to your wrong opinion. Again, thank god yall the minority.

We can agree to disagree.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, Feycat said:

The difference is that I'm actually getting stronger by DOING something.

Saying "it makes sense to make 500 axes and get better at making guns" and then ALSO saying "it's stupid to be able to farm screamers for xp to get better at making axes" is self-contradictory at BEST and hypocritical as all get-out.  Tf is "organic" about making 500 axes to level but actually *fighting zombies in the zombie game* somehow isn't?

So you're not doing ANYTHING by crafting things? Also, I never said make X axes to make Y quality guns. Those things should be separated... if they weren't already (it's been a minute since I played A16).

As for fighting zombies in a zombie game. Yeah you should be doing that and gaining stuff from it, but not some magical "I whacked a zombie over the head and now can assemble a car" XP.

2 hours ago, eXSe said:

So you're not doing ANYTHING by crafting things? Also, I never said make X axes to make Y quality guns. Those things should be separated... if they weren't already (it's been a minute since I played A16).

They were not. But the fact that you can’t clearly remember it shows that there is some romanticizing of the feature happening. TFP did look at separating such things so that making stone axes would only improve stone axes and not all tools of any tier but they deemed it to be too much work with too many problems to extend that to every improvable skill in the game. 

2 hours ago, eXSe said:

As for fighting zombies in a zombie game. Yeah you should be doing that and gaining stuff from it, but not some magical "I whacked a zombie over the head and now can assemble a car" XP.

That is easily avoidable. You can go use wrenches on cars for an afternoon and gain xp doing that. Sure, it won’t all be from that but there are definitely some car related activities you could do before spending xp on that car crafting perk to get the feeling that you learned that by doing a related activity. In fact, every perk you can buy has related xp earning activities that you could do to get the feeling of organic learn by doing. 

If you ignore that and simply grind one unrelated activity because that levels you up the fastest then kindly stop talking about how much you miss the immersion that LBD gave you because obviously it isn’t truly your priority. What you really miss is the variety of grinding activities LBD provided compared to now where you feel forced to do just one grinding activity and “magically” apply the rewards to all skill increases. I don’t feel forced into one activity and I’m playing the same game.

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

They were not. But the fact that you can’t clearly remember it shows that there is some romanticizing of the feature happening. TFP did look at separating such things so that making stone axes would only improve stone axes and not all tools of any tier but they deemed it to be too much work with too many problems to extend that to every improvable skill in the game. 

That is easily avoidable. You can go use wrenches on cars for an afternoon and gain xp doing that. Sure, it won’t all be from that but there are definitely some car related activities you could do before spending xp on that car crafting perk to get the feeling that you learned that by doing a related activity. In fact, every perk you can buy has related xp earning activities that you could do to get the feeling of organic learn by doing. 

If you ignore that and simply grind one unrelated activity because that levels you up the fastest then kindly stop talking about how much you miss the immersion that LBD gave you because obviously it isn’t truly your priority. What you really miss is the variety of grinding activities LBD provided compared to now where you feel forced to do just one grinding activity and “magically” apply the rewards to all skill increases. I don’t feel forced into one activity and I’m playing the same game.

I concede that there might be some romanticizing going on. It was my first experience with the game and I was blown away :)

As far as investing points I gained into the "branch" I gained it on... well, it could be done, but it's not the same (admittedly for me and I might be in the minor minority).

Where in my posts did you get that I grind the one best thing and that I miss the variety of grinding activities from LBD? All I said was that LBD progression, at least for me, was more organic and natural. That's it. Also, I never said that I was forced into anything in this iteration of the game, or in A16 for that matter (unless for those completeonists that had to max everything, but that's not anyone's fault but their own).

I play the game the same way I did when i started... loot, mine, build, grow crops, defend. Same as always. Nothing has changed in that department, all that has happened is that I lost a feeling I had before... maybe it's a good thing for the game and I'm completely wrong in my assessment, but that's just my take on it.

13 minutes ago, eXSe said:

Where in my posts did you get that I grind the one best thing and that I miss the variety of grinding activities from LBD? All I said was that LBD progression, at least for me, was more organic and natural. That's it. Also, I never said that I was forced into anything in this iteration of the game, or in A16 for that matter (unless for those completeonists that had to max everything, but that's not anyone's fault but their own).

I play the game the same way I did when i started... loot, mine, build, grow crops, defend. Same as always. Nothing has changed in that department, all that has happened is that I lost a feeling I had before... maybe it's a good thing for the game and I'm completely wrong in my assessment, but that's just my take on it.

Sorry, it was the part where you stated that you can learn to craft a vehicle magically by killing zombies. That statement gave me the image of you grinding zombie kills in order to level up and purchase the perk for vehicles. 

If you were speaking hypothetically and not from your own practice then I apologize for the assumption. 😀

I did fire up A16 (modded) couple of weeks ago to check if I'm not romanticizing the "good, old times". I wasn't. There are many improvements in newer alphas (performance, graphics, items, ...), but the one thing that for me that A16 is still a king is a "fun factor". For those that didn't play A16 or didn't play it recently I highly recommend to do it.

1 hour ago, boban said:

I did fire up A16 (modded) couple of weeks ago to check if I'm not romanticizing the "good, old times". I wasn't. There are many improvements in newer alphas (performance, graphics, items, ...), but the one thing that for me that A16 is still a king is a "fun factor". For those that didn't play A16 or didn't play it recently I highly recommend to do it.

I think the A19 combat improvements have really made it impossible for me to go back now. I was even going to play a bit of modded A18 for a bit whilst waiting for A19 mods to roll out but it really made it stand out what an amazing job has been done with the rag dolling and weapons.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:10 AM, Mr.tektite said:

In previous beta's. I was lucky to ever find an ak after several hours of looting. I normally found single shot rifles and shotguns. all of poor quality. and rarely pieces of sniper rifles. my point is. if playing single player. you could alter or fine tune the rng values of some weapons if were talking single player. your worrying about the one person playing. if its annoyance over several people playing. thats still a pvp thing. i know its not as easy as just changing some values but this game has been out for 7 years now. its been more then playable since alpha 15. its just. frustrating to see mechanics i enjoy go out the window and be forced to use others now that i don't like. while elements i do like are being added. If i could chop out apha 17 or 18's graphics, map layout, and leveling system maybe. and stick it back into alpha 14-16. good lord. 

I would be playing this game for months at a time with friends. or atleast would enjoy doing so. and the mod that the person above mentioned (the one i first replied to) also overhauls more then just bringing old stuff up. it changes the entire layout of the game along with adding new stuff.... idk man theres no easy way with any of this. and i know i sound like just a winey idiot but the only 2 times i've logged on this forum is to complain about recent (and at the time before recent) changes. last time was the jump from alpha 14-15 when they changed the loot system from 1-600 lvls to 1-6 lvls per weapon and tool. and some other changes they did for the exp points. i wish peer to peer existed when the game hit alpha 12. its one of the biggest things they added im happy about in later alphas. also... a question. at night. my torches will light a few feet around them. but if i move say 20 feet away. the lighting of the torch disappears. is that a settings thing on my end or is that something game play wise the implemented for some reason? Cause its kinda irritating. 

and there are a few other design choices. like eating. it feels like the game is telling me that i need to eat 50 pounds of food a day just cause i ran a mile or two and used a shovel to dig up a trench. or the way damage system is working now. I get attacked by a dog and get my arm broken. ok fair. get that squared away. get attacked by a crawling zombie. my leg gets broken. i got abbrasions. im infected. so now im half health. i need the best medicine in the game to get rid of it in less then 2 hours for the major breaks or abrasions. (im assuming thats leveled to the day length cause i play 2 hour days) I usually want good tools starting out so i usually drop alot of points into the two trees that effect my harvesting and my tool quality. only to learn through a friend that they will need to make the tools cause it takes more and more materials to make higher level iron tools (20 30 40 50 forged iron ect along with 2 3 4 5 amounts of tape and other stuff) since my tool quality skill is higher. and i cant do anything about it and didn't know before hand. which forces me to limit were i put my points. and if i want to make med kits now? i better save 12+ or how ever many levels JUST FOR THE DOCTOR SKILL TREE that may as well be a pipe dream of several hours of work EVEN ON 300% exp gain. there trying to slow the early game progression but it makes everything i do agonizingly slow and painful and the only way around it is to play with friends and perk into one skill tree to make a nice rounded play style between eachother. but if your solo? pffft. enjoy not having somthing in your play through. 

Sorry if im being annoying. I'll go back to not existing after i get no responses. its not my game its the devs and communities. I'm just along for the ride. i just get frustrated. 

@mr tektite I agree about single player. Love the game but as I play mostly solo i almost always now play with a modlet that gives 2 points per level otherwise there are tonnes of skills I will never have time to unlock. I've shortened days to speed up game stage increase to compensate and also to make for a faster paced game. 

All that said I am loving alpha 19, though it would be good as others have already said here if in big safes and loot containers you found weapons parts from day 1 so it made then worth it. If tfp do bring in differently levelled areas like the wasteland and T5 POIs that would also solve it for me, but so far I don't mind the slower starting progression. For me running round with a couple of blunderbusses in the toolbelt clearing big POIs is fun and brings back the fear you get at the start of the game.

I came to the party very late (alpha18) but am in love with the game and already have close to 700 hours - thanks covid lockdown! - so I can't speak to what is now missing from previous versions. As someone coming to it fresh late though I absolutely love it. There are things that could be tweaked here and there but I love the look and feel of the game, and I love the sandboxiness. 

I get that people are upset the horde can dig and swim but thanks to all the customisability one can always turn the horde off for a bit, spend a week mining then turn it back on. Or build an underground base with a horde base on top. One day I will go back and try out alpha 16 and see what eveyone loves about it, but right now I am loving 19 and don't want to play anything else!

On 8/7/2020 at 9:24 PM, Roland said:

I think you are confusing a couple different mechanics there. We had an assemble interface to combine parts into weapons. Separately, we could place two duplicate items in the combine slot of the workbench to raise them to one with a higher quality tier. 

Neither of those will be returning. But neither of those have anything to do with your weapon eventually breaking beyond repair requiring you to need to craft or find a replacement. Weapons lasting forever once you have them is bad for the game. Crafting one to replace the one you had isn’t even in the same league as spam crafting. 

Agree @Roland. Especially later in game this would give purpose to chest after chest of weapons collected looting. 

Archived