Jump to content

Tried A19, A16 is still best Alpha


Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, meganoth said:

@Mr.tektite I don't know where you get the idea that the changes in A17/A18 were done for PvP, they were definitely not.

 

I kinda assumed. because I couldn't understand why they were done overall and the only way i could rationalize some of them was for pvp reasons. If im mistaken i apologize but some of the changes that have been made to the gameplay just baffle me. maybe they won't make it to the full build of 19 and alot more changes will go through idk. im hoping the day the game is finally released that ill still be able to enjoy it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:

I kinda assumed. because I couldn't understand why they were done overall and the only way i could rationalize some of them was for pvp reasons. If im mistaken i apologize but some of the changes that have been made to the gameplay just baffle me. maybe they won't make it to the full build of 19 and alot more changes will go through idk. im hoping the day the game is finally released that ill still be able to enjoy it. 

I don't know which changes you are refering to exactly. If you are talking about the new loot system, this was done mainly to prevent players to all have guns immediately on day 1. Just take an AK in your hand and even a group of normal zombie has not the slightest chance against you. So now most players have crappy weapons for the first few days and kill crappy zombies with it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meganoth said:

I don't know which changes you are refering to exactly. If you are talking about the new loot system, this was done mainly to prevent players to all have guns immediately on day 1. Just take an AK in your hand and even a group of normal zombie has not the slightest chance against you. So now most players have crappy weapons for the first few days and kill crappy zombies with it.

 

 

In previous beta's. I was lucky to ever find an ak after several hours of looting. I normally found single shot rifles and shotguns. all of poor quality. and rarely pieces of sniper rifles. my point is. if playing single player. you could alter or fine tune the rng values of some weapons if were talking single player. your worrying about the one person playing. if its annoyance over several people playing. thats still a pvp thing. i know its not as easy as just changing some values but this game has been out for 7 years now. its been more then playable since alpha 15. its just. frustrating to see mechanics i enjoy go out the window and be forced to use others now that i don't like. while elements i do like are being added. If i could chop out apha 17 or 18's graphics, map layout, and leveling system maybe. and stick it back into alpha 14-16. good lord. 

I would be playing this game for months at a time with friends. or atleast would enjoy doing so. and the mod that the person above mentioned (the one i first replied to) also overhauls more then just bringing old stuff up. it changes the entire layout of the game along with adding new stuff.... idk man theres no easy way with any of this. and i know i sound like just a winey idiot but the only 2 times i've logged on this forum is to complain about recent (and at the time before recent) changes. last time was the jump from alpha 14-15 when they changed the loot system from 1-600 lvls to 1-6 lvls per weapon and tool. and some other changes they did for the exp points. i wish peer to peer existed when the game hit alpha 12. its one of the biggest things they added im happy about in later alphas. also... a question. at night. my torches will light a few feet around them. but if i move say 20 feet away. the lighting of the torch disappears. is that a settings thing on my end or is that something game play wise the implemented for some reason? Cause its kinda irritating. 

and there are a few other design choices. like eating. it feels like the game is telling me that i need to eat 50 pounds of food a day just cause i ran a mile or two and used a shovel to dig up a trench. or the way damage system is working now. I get attacked by a dog and get my arm broken. ok fair. get that squared away. get attacked by a crawling zombie. my leg gets broken. i got abbrasions. im infected. so now im half health. i need the best medicine in the game to get rid of it in less then 2 hours for the major breaks or abrasions. (im assuming thats leveled to the day length cause i play 2 hour days) I usually want good tools starting out so i usually drop alot of points into the two trees that effect my harvesting and my tool quality. only to learn through a friend that they will need to make the tools cause it takes more and more materials to make higher level iron tools (20 30 40 50 forged iron ect along with 2 3 4 5 amounts of tape and other stuff) since my tool quality skill is higher. and i cant do anything about it and didn't know before hand. which forces me to limit were i put my points. and if i want to make med kits now? i better save 12+ or how ever many levels JUST FOR THE DOCTOR SKILL TREE that may as well be a pipe dream of several hours of work EVEN ON 300% exp gain. there trying to slow the early game progression but it makes everything i do agonizingly slow and painful and the only way around it is to play with friends and perk into one skill tree to make a nice rounded play style between eachother. but if your solo? pffft. enjoy not having somthing in your play through. 

Sorry if im being annoying. I'll go back to not existing after i get no responses. its not my game its the devs and communities. I'm just along for the ride. i just get frustrated. 

  • Have a Cookie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:

...

Sorry if im being annoying. I'll go back to not existing after i get no responses. its not my game its the devs and communities. I'm just along for the ride. i just get frustrated. 

I've been frustrated ever since 17 came out. Alpha 16 was the last time I enjoyed vanilla.

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:

In previous beta's. I was lucky to ever find an ak after several hours of looting. I normally found single shot rifles and shotguns. all of poor quality. and rarely pieces of sniper rifles. my point is. if playing single player. you could alter or fine tune the rng values of some weapons if were talking single player. your worrying about the one person playing. if its annoyance over several people playing. thats still a pvp thing. i know its not as easy as just changing some values but this game has been out for 7 years now. its been more then playable since alpha 15. its just. frustrating to see mechanics i enjoy go out the window and be forced to use others now that i don't like. while elements i do like are being added. If i could chop out apha 17 or 18's graphics, map layout, and leveling system maybe. and stick it back into alpha 14-16. good lord. 

 

I'm talking about single player. There simply is no challenge if I have an AK in hand and only normal zombies against me. I always liked to shoot bow in this game and now the game has a phase where a bow is the best ranged weapon you have.

 

Quote


I would be playing this game for months at a time with friends. or atleast would enjoy doing so. and the mod that the person above mentioned (the one i first replied to) also overhauls more then just bringing old stuff up. it changes the entire layout of the game along with adding new stuff.... idk man theres no easy way with any of this. and i know i sound like just a winey idiot but the only 2 times i've logged on this forum is to complain about recent (and at the time before recent) changes. last time was the jump from alpha 14-15 when they changed the loot system from 1-600 lvls to 1-6 lvls per weapon and tool. and some other changes they did for the exp points. i wish peer to peer existed when the game hit alpha 12. its one of the biggest things they added im happy about in later alphas. also... a question. at night. my torches will light a few feet around them. but if i move say 20 feet away. the lighting of the torch disappears. is that a settings thing on my end or is that something game play wise the implemented for some reason? Cause its kinda irritating. 

 

Technical reasons: Light distance was reduced to allow better FPS I seem to remember.

 

Quote


and there are a few other design choices. like eating. it feels like the game is telling me that i need to eat 50 pounds of food a day just cause i ran a mile or two and used a shovel to dig up a trench. or the way damage system is working now. I get attacked by a dog and get my arm broken. ok fair. get that squared away. get attacked by a crawling zombie. my leg gets broken. i got abbrasions. im infected. so now im half health. i need the best medicine in the game to get rid of it in less then 2 hours for the major breaks or abrasions. (im assuming thats leveled to the day length cause i play 2 hour days) I usually want good tools starting out so i usually drop alot of points into the two trees that effect my harvesting and my tool quality. only to learn through a friend that they will need to make the tools cause it takes more and more materials to make higher level iron tools (20 30 40 50 forged iron ect along with 2 3 4 5 amounts of tape and other stuff) since my tool quality skill is higher. and i cant do anything about it and didn't know before hand. which forces me to limit were i put my points. and if i want to make med kits now? i better save 12+ or how ever many levels JUST FOR THE DOCTOR SKILL TREE that may as well be a pipe dream of several hours of work EVEN ON 300% exp gain. there trying to slow the early game progression but it makes everything i do agonizingly slow and painful and the only way around it is to play with friends and perk into one skill tree to make a nice rounded play style between eachother. but if your solo? pffft. enjoy not having somthing in your play through.

 

Food scarcity and injuries are common ingredients in survival games. 7 Days to Die is a survival game, but before A19 such elements could just be ignored. Now the early game puts some importance on survival and you need to find ways to overcome those initial problems.

 

I never needed to spec into the doctor skill in my SP games. Just loot and you'll eventually find all the recipes for bandages and med kits. Before that just build a farm and grow aloe vera. You know you can use aloe vera for healing, right? And food also heals.

 

But if you speed through the game on 300% xp then you naturally don't have the time to find all the recipes. Personally I don't see what's the hurry, I always play at 100% XP.

 

 

Quote


Sorry if im being annoying. I'll go back to not existing after i get no responses. its not my game its the devs and communities. I'm just along for the ride. i just get frustrated.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, meganoth said:

 

I'm talking about single player. There simply is no challenge if I have an AK in hand and only normal zombies against me. I always liked to shoot bow in this game and now the game has a phase where a bow is the best ranged weapon you have.

 

 

Technical reasons: Light distance was reduced to allow better FPS I seem to remember.

 

 

Food scarcity and injuries are common ingredients in survival games. 7 Days to Die is a survival game, but before A19 such elements could just be ignored. Now the early game puts some importance on survival and you need to find ways to overcome those initial problems.

 

I never needed to spec into the doctor skill in my SP games. Just loot and you'll eventually find all the recipes for bandages and med kits. Before that just build a farm and grow aloe vera. You know you can use aloe vera for healing, right?

 

But if you speed through the game on 300% xp then you naturally don't have the time to find all the recipes. Personally I don't see what's the hurry, I always play at 100% XP.

 

 

there are ways to fix the weapon spawning like the ak. maybe no auto weaponry prior to day 2 or 3. idk. as said. I've never managed to find an ak sept near like the 5th or 6th day myself. I agree bows are far more enjoyable but in this current alpha? i said screw it and only used clubs. its far superior to anything else i had. and you know what? it gets boring after a while. 

as for lighting. that should be a option client side. not game side. I cant see zombies in the distance anymore when trying to defend my base. there beyond the light of the torches. :c

i get that injury is to be expected. but getting one or two hits while fully clothed and even with iron armor and getting infected broken arm broken legged? who am I tiny tim? are my bones made of sticks and glue? wtf. theres nothing in the toughness tree to help either unless its unlisted. or not described well yet. all it says is you don't get stunned and take less damage. nothing about these new injuries you can get. and as for food. its not a matter of not having food. its the amount of food my character is forced to eat. I have enough meat and eggs to make a ton of bacon and eggs. the issue is i need to eat enough food to feed a family in a week inside 2 days because i wanted to go looting or dig a trench. Its an issue and you can say what you like it needs to be adjusted. I shouldn't need to run for food every 15 minutes. 

its not a matter of not needing to spec into doctor. its the amoutn it takes to spec into doctor if you wanted to. everything in the "smarts" tree is broken feeling. the blacksmithing is ok ish but otherwise. 

some of us spawn far from the dessert and i should be able to make a base were i want without getting screwed over cause theres no aloe near me. 

and as for your last point. my in game days are set to 2 hours and my exp to 300 percent so i can spec into a few things in reasonable time. if i want more challenge i set the general difficulty higher. but it feels like a case of glass cannons now. it didn't use to feel like this

I just prefer to have alot of time to build and have the 7th day be bigger (I spawn a bit more enemies. i still wish they had bosses or somthing instead of just ferals and regular zombies. closest you get is the cop zombies that projectile vomit at you. or explode if you shoot them and they start running. idk if they are even still around anymore cause i get bored before i can even get to day 7. i made it 37 days in alpha 14. nearly as much in 15 and 16. everything since then has just been a drag. 


end of the day its my play style to play slowly with high exp now cause they have slowed leveling up so much and locked alot of things behind skill trees. cause the rng of finding schematics is inconsistant. hoping you'll find schematics for one thing in the sea of other items isen't reasonable. it puts you back in the same place as when making a forge required a schematic back in the day and it made doing anything nearly impossible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:

there are ways to fix the weapon spawning like the ak. maybe no auto weaponry prior to day 2 or 3. idk. as said. I've never managed to find an ak sept near like the 5th or 6th day myself. I agree bows are far more enjoyable but in this current alpha? i said screw it and only used clubs. its far superior to anything else i had. and you know what? it gets boring after a while.

The weapon system changed since A15. In A15 an AK was much better than a pistol, now an AK should be somewhat similar to a pistol because they are in the same tier. I mentioned the AK just as an example, I could as well have said a pistol or a double-barrel shotgun. All of them would be too good in the first week.

 

34 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:


as for lighting. that should be a option client side. not game side. I cant see zombies in the distance anymore when trying to defend my base. there beyond the light of the torches. :c

 

I don't have any problems seeing the zombies when I have a helmet light. Maybe it is because of your settings after all. Check if brightness is set to 50% in the video settings, that is default. Maybe even turn it up a little.

 

34 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:


i get that injury is to be expected. but getting one or two hits while fully clothed and even with iron armor and getting infected broken arm broken legged? who am I tiny tim? are my bones made of sticks and glue? wtf. theres nothing in the toughness tree to help either unless its unlisted. or not described well yet. all it says is you don't get stunned and take less damage. nothing about these new injuries you can get. and as for food. its not a matter of not having food. its the amount of food my character is forced to eat. I have enough meat and eggs to make a ton of bacon and eggs. the issue is i need to eat enough food to feed a family in a week inside 2 days because i wanted to go looting or dig a trench. Its an issue and you can say what you like it needs to be adjusted. I shouldn't need to run for food every 15 minutes. 

Don't let yourself get hit multiple times in short succession and you won't get many injuries. The last 6 hours I played I didn't get a single injury even though I used melee and got hit occassionally.

 

Bacon and eggs is early game food you might cook in the first 10 days, after that you slowly should have a farm going and be able to cook better food that gives you 50 or even more than 100 stamina per meal. Always drink red tea when you dig trenches, it gives a buff for a few minutes that makes you waste less food. The perk Iron gut also reduces the amount of food you need.

 

34 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:


its not a matter of not needing to spec into doctor. its the amoutn it takes to spec into doctor if you wanted to. everything in the "smarts" tree is broken feeling. the blacksmithing is ok ish but otherwise. 

some of us spawn far from the dessert and i should be able to make a base were i want without getting screwed over cause theres no aloe near me. 

Aloe was just an example, food heals you as well. You can find lots of items in loot that heal you and often get offered healing stuff as quest reward. At least one point into the perk healing factor also heals you over time.

 

34 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:


and as for your last point. my in game days are set to 2 hours and my exp to 300 percent so i can spec into a few things in reasonable time. if i want more challenge i set the general difficulty higher. but it feels like a case of glass cannons now. it didn't use to feel like this

I just prefer to have alot of time to build and have the 7th day be bigger (I spawn a bit more enemies. i still wish they had bosses or somthing instead of just ferals and regular zombies. closest you get is the cop zombies that projectile vomit at you. or explode if you shoot them and they start running. idk if they are even still around anymore cause i get bored before i can even get to day 7. i made it 37 days in alpha 14. nearly as much in 15 and 16. everything since then has just been a drag. 

 

They have boss zombies. The first one was introduced in A18 and is called the Demolisher. A big armored zombie with an explosives belt. Hit the detonator and the zombie will explode for massive block damage. More are announced for A20/A21. But you will never see them if you always only play till day 7.

 

34 minutes ago, Mr.tektite said:


end of the day its my play style to play slowly with high exp now cause they have slowed leveling up so much and locked alot of things behind skill trees. cause the rng of finding schematics is inconsistant. hoping you'll find schematics for one thing in the sea of other items isen't reasonable. it puts you back in the same place as when making a forge required a schematic back in the day and it made doing anything nearly impossible. 

 

Well, I have no problem finding lots of schematics and there are only a few schematics that are essential, all the others are optional or there are multiple schematics giving you just alternatives. But I play one game for about 50 hours. That is a lot of time and lots of looting runs. Obviously I find a lot more in 50 hours than you in 14.

 

I'm surprised that you say you play slowly because for me 300%XP seems to be rushing everything, not slowing the game down.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, meganoth said:

The weapon system changed since A15. In A15 an AK was much better than a pistol, now an AK should be somewhat similar to a pistol because they are in the same tier. I mentioned the AK just as an example, I could as well have said a pistol or a double-barrel shotgun. All of them would be too good in the first week.

 

 

I don't have any problems seeing the zombies when I have a helmet light. Maybe it is because of your settings after all. Check if brightness is set to 50% in the video settings, that is default. Maybe even turn it up a little.

 

Don't let yourself get hit multiple times in short succession and you won't get many injuries. The last 6 hours I played I didn't get a single injury even though I used melee and got hit occassionally.

 

Bacon and eggs is early game food you might cook in the first 10 days, after that you slowly should have a farm going and be able to cook better food that gives you 50 or even more than 100 stamina per meal. Always drink red tea when you dig trenches, it gives a buff for a few minutes that makes you waste less food. The perk Iron gut also reduces the amount of food you need.

 

Aloe was just an example, food heals you as well. You can find lots of items in loot that heal you and often get offered healing stuff as quest reward. At least one point into the perk healing factor also heals you over time.

 

 

They have boss zombies. The first one was introduced in A18 and is called the Demolisher. A big armored zombie with an explosives belt. Hit the detonator and the zombie will explode for massive block damage. More are announced for A20/A21. But you will never see them if you always only play till day 7.

 

Well, I have no problem finding lots of schematics and there are only a few schematics that are essential, all the others are optional or there are multiple schematics giving you just alternatives. But I play one game for about 50 hours. That is a lot of time and lots of looting runs. Obviously I find a lot more in 50 hours than you in 14.

 

I'm surprised that you say you play slowly because for me 300%XP seems to be rushing everything, not slowing the game down.

 

my point still stands for early game guns. first few days disable guns outright if need be. or have extremely low level ones and re balance damage or ammo drops. regardless. doesn't matter. 

helmet lights take time to get. it requires getting the mod and that isent always available before the 7th day when its most important to see. and i don't feel like bleeching my eyes during the day to see at night and need to change my stuff every little bit just to satisfy bad design choices. 

its hard not to get hit in multiple succession (twice) when my enemies are wolves dogs and spider zombies within 2 minutes of eachother.  Idk if my spawns were just wacked were i was on that occasion. doesnt change the fact that 2 hits and i have several hours to think about me getting hit and have to worry about it. the medical rework doesn't feel right to me from my gameplay exp so far. 

I was using coffee for digging the trenches. still doesnt change the fact that its a pain to do and when playing single player is agonizingly long to do and forces me to deplete my early on food. I don't care if it changes later and i get all the best stuff. early on it makes the game not fun. I like having a home thats defendable to come back to before I start large looting runs. but if its going to take the entire week of the ingame time (with 2 hours real life time per ingame day) its boring. I don't care if you specifically disagree or agree with my point or not. if i feel like this. I know atleast some others feel like this. I know others will turn away because getting to the fun part of the game (cool weaponry and fighting off waves of zombies with somthing else other then a pointy stick or a tree branch) will also get turned off by this. 

and the 300xp boost is so i don't have to slog through the slowed down xp side of things. The game feels like its made for groups of people to be playing at once. maybe i'd like to be able to eventually build a jeep and have points in my mining and various weaponry. 300 percent really is not that much compared to how much they've slowed this game down. I still prefer alpha 14's skill system over the current but of course no one cares about that cause most people don't even remember it. just because you don't agree with my outlook doesn't mean im wrong. 

the only good things that the later alphas offer is the new map, better quality textures and models for zombies, stuff like mini dungeon houses with big loot at the end of the maze's. the pop culture references. the peer to peer connection so i can play with my friends. somthing that shoulda existed since alpha 10 and only came in around alpha 17. these are all great and worth seeing and make the game interesting. the forced slowdown on gameplay. does not. 

Edited by Mr.tektite (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr.tektite said:

as someone who has been playing since alpha 7 (or somewhere in there. I had to do a little digging to see what alpha was out when i started playing in 2013. the game released 2 weeks before i bought and started playing it) so 7-8 I can say with 100% assurance. this game is one of the biggest head scratches when it comes to gameplay over the years. its better then when it started... but it also is not? to be clear. I have technically never set foot in a game with other people that were not friends i invited (post alpha 17 when they put in peer to peer connections) so all my exp is single player as is all my enjoyment. when i play. I play day in and out for about a week and set it down and pick it back up again after some updates have gone by. just because after 3 or 4 blood moons. theres nothing close by left to loot (or used to not be) and i have most of the best items. 

as of alpha 17 or 18 (whichever made every building feel like a mini dungeon which i @%$*#!ing love tbh) im struck by this weird feeling of progression. I experienced it in 18 just like i am in 19's current build. I get bored so much more quickly. and frustrated. the game currently is so much more polished then it has been in years making it a lovely playground to run through. and yet there are so many small details that throw mud back into the process. My opinions do not reflect "pvp" mode. yes I get it. I understand these things there trying to do to force the game to be fair for other players trying to murder eachother. its stressful seeing people getting guns right away due to luck or people trying to cheese the system. I get it. 

I. Don't. Play. PVP. so these changes that help pvp? hamper me and any other single player or co op playing group of people. I don't want those things to be removed from pvp. keep doing that sure but i really think this game needs more access given to the modding community or more customization to alter the gameplay back to the way it has been in previous alphas. let us have our fun with rng and give us interesting enemies to fight on the 7th day like we were. so many great and horrible choices are being mixed that its staggering. I once played this game for like a week and a half or so straight. and had it set to 1 hour days (or 2 hour. hard to remember it was alpha 14) and finally tapped out cause i ran out of stuff to do by about the 37 or 38th ish day (pic of my base by the way will be below if you wanna see it). I had a base surrounded by a miles worth of wooden spikes, the best weapons, walls that were a layer of metal with spiked logs under them. ect. and this was before the locations were all interesting mini pathed dungeons that they are now. also i think the map was about half the size that it is now. 


also i want to note for anyone reading this that just started coming around alpha 16 forward. you missed out on alot of terrible ideas that were implemented over the years. My favorite was gore blocks. enemies would die and turn into blocks that would need to be manually removed after they died if they were blocking paths. so say you killed an enemy behind you in a building. and another was advancing on you. the enemy behind you turned into a solid grid space like dirt inside of a building hallway or doorway. so if your trying to get away you'd get cornered. also back when you could loot zombie bodies. this would turn them into gore blocks before you could loot them. also really frustrating on the 7th day. (and don't even get me started on the one alpha that briefly had to much gun shooting lead to mob spawns) 

Idk. im probably going to finish building my base and on the 7th day start a alpha 16 game or look up any mods that revert most of the choices implemented in alphas 17 forward while keeping the current map and building and loot stuff. cause most else is just agony to play through solo. regardless of chosen difficulty. I'm sure alot of people disagrees with me and some agree slightly. we all have our own opinions of how the game should be played after all. im just glad i have the choice to play the old alphas. 

251570_screenshots_20160801111632_1.jpg

On gore blocks, I liked them to a degree. Like I said I mainly play overhauls, and it was bit much after horde night. Overhauls spawned more zombies and usually lasted till 4am. Took half day to clean up the mess. Like I said try Darkness Falls, he added back gore blocks like he did LBD. Just dont get gore block from every zombie you kill. DF wont be updated till after A19 stable tho, so have some time to play A16. 

 

To bad you can't play Starvation overhaul with A16 anymore, it was great. You weren't afraid of zombies, even tho there were pretty frightening boss zombies on horde night. You were afraid of the 10 or more extra animals they added. Starvation was abandoned after A16.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dethar said:

On gore blocks, I liked them to a degree. Like I said I mainly play overhauls, and it was bit much after horde night. Overhauls spawned more zombies and usually lasted till 4am. Took half day to clean up the mess. Like I said try Darkness Falls, he added back gore blocks like he did LBD. Just dont get gore block from every zombie you kill. DF wont be updated till after A19 stable tho, so have some time to play A16. 

 

To bad you can't play Starvation overhaul with A16 anymore, it was great. You weren't afraid of zombies, even tho there were pretty frightening boss zombies on horde night. You were afraid of the 10 or more extra animals they added. Starvation was abandoned after A16.

incase it wasen't clear. I do not like gore blocks. I liked looting zombies how ever. though i can overlook that in light of other changes like adding the one rare yellow bag from a zombie every so often. ment i was less likely to hurt myself trying to dig through enemies for loot. but gore blocks made it nearly impossible to loot zombies when they were still around. zombies would decay faster then i could get out during the blood moons. 

11 minutes ago, Dethar said:

On gore blocks, I liked them to a degree. Like I said I mainly play overhauls, and it was bit much after horde night. Overhauls spawned more zombies and usually lasted till 4am. Took half day to clean up the mess. Like I said try Darkness Falls, he added back gore blocks like he did LBD. Just dont get gore block from every zombie you kill. DF wont be updated till after A19 stable tho, so have some time to play A16. 

 

To bad you can't play Starvation overhaul with A16 anymore, it was great. You weren't afraid of zombies, even tho there were pretty frightening boss zombies on horde night. You were afraid of the 10 or more extra animals they added. Starvation was abandoned after A16.

also to show WHY i don't like gore blocks. one of my first interactions with them. I killed a zombie and tried to back up and was blocked and was nearly killed cause of it >:c 

251570_screenshots_2015-07-06_00003.jpg

alpha 12 was a fun alpha. I still prefer variations of its lower left ui to what there doing now tbh. but i know there trying to figure that stuff out still

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr.tektite said:

my point still stands for early game guns. first few days disable guns outright if need be. or have extremely low level ones and re balance damage or ammo drops. regardless. doesn't matter. 

The latter part is exactly what is in the game, an extremely low level gun (blunderbuss) is available. In A20 there will be similar pipe weapons for the other attributes too

 

6 hours ago, Mr.tektite said:


helmet lights take time to get. it requires getting the mod and that isent always available before the 7th day when its most important to see. and i don't feel like bleeching my eyes during the day to see at night and need to change my stuff every little bit just to satisfy bad design choices. 

I can only say I have no problems on horde night seeing the zombies and I don't see other forum users complaining about it. The only initial complaints in A19 were the other way round, about nights being too bright. That was randomized in a later patch in A19 so you now have darker and brighter nights.

 

6 hours ago, Mr.tektite said:


its hard not to get hit in multiple succession (twice) when my enemies are wolves dogs and spider zombies within 2 minutes of eachother.  Idk if my spawns were just wacked were i was on that occasion. doesnt change the fact that 2 hits and i have several hours to think about me getting hit and have to worry about it. the medical rework doesn't feel right to me from my gameplay exp so far. 

I was using coffee for digging the trenches. still doesnt change the fact that its a pain to do and when playing single player is agonizingly long to do and forces me to deplete my early on food. I don't care if it changes later and i get all the best stuff. early on it makes the game not fun. I like having a home thats defendable to come back to before I start large looting runs. but if its going to take the entire week of the ingame time (with 2 hours real life time per ingame day) its boring. I don't care if you specifically disagree or agree with my point or not. if i feel like this. I know atleast some others feel like this. I know others will turn away because getting to the fun part of the game (cool weaponry and fighting off waves of zombies with somthing else other then a pointy stick or a tree branch) will also get turned off by this.

I always use a POI as a first base and adapt it to my wishes, because that usually takes only breaking a few blocks. I also like the always different layout that generates. Main advantage is that I don't need to get resources like mad in the first days. If I want to later build something from ground up I wait until food and stamina is no problem anymore and I can get resources easily.

 

TFP can't make everyone happy, there are also a lot of players here who want every part of the game including survival to matter and TFP themselves want survival to have an impact. I'm pretty sure this will largely stay as it is. You can either adapt to it, use a mod or avoid the early game completely by giving you 10 levels with the command "giveselfxp" and putting everything in sexrex and miner69 plus giving you a stack of food with creative menue. If you are only happy with a gun and lots of ammo in your hand you essentially want to play only a part of the game and you have to disable other parts (like survival and looting) yourself.

 

6 hours ago, Mr.tektite said:


and the 300xp boost is so i don't have to slog through the slowed down xp side of things. The game feels like its made for groups of people to be playing at once. maybe i'd like to be able to eventually build a jeep and have points in my mining and various weaponry. 300 percent really is not that much compared to how much they've slowed this game down. I still prefer alpha 14's skill system over the current but of course no one cares about that cause most people don't even remember it. just because you don't agree with my outlook doesn't mean im wrong. 

Just because you don't like a part of the game doesn't make that part bad 😉. To get a vehicles without expending perk points into it you just need to collect money and buy parts or schematics from the trader. But this takes time, checking traders regularily for missing pieces, and looting gas stations and book stores for schematics. That can't be done if you rush through the game and end it at day 7.

 

I have lots of fun playing single player. I use the first week not for mining or building big, I loot and try to get essential things like the stuff to build a farm. Then, if I have more food available and found a few food recipes I can actually cook with the produce of my farm. Then I really start doing mining and with more and more resources I start to build bigger and bigger. You are really rushing to end game as fast as possible and then you are surprised there is nothing to do anymore and get bored. In my view you are digging your own grave and jump into it as fast as possible 😀

 

I don't really know if you actually would like a normal game if you really tried and adapated to it or if you just need to change the game to your tastes because you are not exactly the target audience of the game. There is nothing wrong with modding or changing the game to your tastes, but it is very hard to change a game and still have it balanced. I am not surprised that you aren't really happy about the game even if you set it to 300% XP.

 

6 hours ago, Mr.tektite said:


the only good things that the later alphas offer is the new map, better quality textures and models for zombies, stuff like mini dungeon houses with big loot at the end of the maze's. the pop culture references. the peer to peer connection so i can play with my friends. somthing that shoulda existed since alpha 10 and only came in around alpha 17. these are all great and worth seeing and make the game interesting. the forced slowdown on gameplay. does not. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, meganoth said:

I'm talking about single player. There simply is no challenge if I have an AK in hand and only normal zombies against me. I always liked to shoot bow in this game and now the game has a phase where a bow is the best ranged weapon you have.

So the problem isn't really having guns early..... the problem is that guns are overpowered.   Because by the time you can start finding guns the zombies aren't really that much different.   So it's ok to be overpowered then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wizard puke said:

I wonder if I have more hours playing 7dtd or more hours reading posts about LBD... It's really a toss up at this point.

You must be really really really good at reading posts about LBD! ;)

19 minutes ago, Kalen said:

So it's ok to be overpowered then?

Yes!  Exactly. The feeling of progression is what I feel is rewarding and fun. So having a window of time where the weapons I use are underpowered but gradually become equal to the task and then I gain weapons that are overpowered for those early game enemies I can actually gain a sense of growth for my character and that is appealing to me. 
 

With no window given and just finding the overpowered guns immediately there is no growth. You just begin at the top and, for me, that becomes boring quickly. 
 

Along with that, once the next tier of enemies starts showing up hopefully there is a new struggle and new growth until finally the weapons once again eventually become overpowered for those stronger enemies as well. 
 

Then, for me, that would be the time to start anew in a fresh world because once the struggle is over and all it is is repairing and replenishing with no threat nor struggle there’s no reason to play. 
 

So overpowered later is very much so different than overpowered from the start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yes!  Exactly. The feeling of progression is what I feel is rewarding and fun. So having a window of time where the weapons I use are underpowered but gradually become equal to the task and then I gain weapons that are overpowered for those early game enemies I can actually gain a sense of growth for my character and that is appealing to me. 
 

With no window given and just finding the overpowered guns immediately there is no growth. You just begin at the top and, for me, that becomes boring quickly. 
 

Along with that, once the next tier of enemies starts showing up hopefully there is a new struggle and new growth until finally the weapons once again eventually become overpowered for those stronger enemies as well. 
 

Then, for me, that would be the time to start anew in a fresh world because once the struggle is over and all it is is repairing and replenishing with no threat nor struggle there’s no reason to play. 
 

So overpowered later is very much so different than overpowered from the start. 

Ok, fair enough.... I prefer not to be overpowered at all, or at least have the overpoweredness be for only a limited time (item degradation, please!)

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kalen said:

Ok, fair enough.... I prefer not to be overpowered at all, or at least have the overpoweredness be for only a limited time (item degradation, 

Degradation that was in game, was just a needless extra step. I always had extra parts to fix my stuff. Only time it might be issue, was if I was looting otherside of map and forget to fix before leaving base. Even then i could find parts and trader with workbench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kalen said:

Ok, fair enough.... I prefer not to be overpowered at all, or at least have the overpoweredness be for only a limited time (item degradation, please!)

 

 

45 minutes ago, Dethar said:

Degradation that was in game, was just a needless extra step. I always had extra parts to fix my stuff. Only time it might be issue, was if I was looting otherside of map and forget to fix before leaving base. Even then i could find parts and trader with workbench.


Kalen means irreparable degradation. Eventually the weapon no longer works and can only be scrapped for parts. It’s not a needless step. It makes both looting and crafting more meaningful as duplicates have a greater purpose and that OP weapon won’t last forever. I agree, @Kalen that being OP forever sucks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Roland said:

 


Kalen means irreparable degradation. Eventually the weapon no longer works and can only be scrapped for parts. It’s not a needless step. It makes both looting and crafting more meaningful as duplicates have a greater purpose and that OP weapon won’t last forever. I agree, @Kalen that being OP forever sucks. 

if this is sooo good why didnt we keep the degrading system we had already ? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dethar said:

Because it was what I posted and not what Roland replied.

there is no real diffrence if the tool goes from 100% to 80% of DMG in 5 repairs or if the tool brakes after 5 repairs. both is just plain anoying. we got rid of that for good reasons.

Edited by manni44 (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, manni44 said:

there is no real diffrence if the tool goes from 100% to 80% of DMG in 5 repairs or if the tool brakes after 5 repairs. both is just plain anoying. we got rid of that for good reasons.

I see what you were saying, but Roland point was if it cant be repaired and have to craft new one after scapping broken one. Nothing like old degradation where you repaired it. So I believe is saying remove repair kits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dethar said:

I see what you were saying, but Roland point was if it cant be repaired and have to craft new one after scapping broken one. Nothing like old degradation where you repaired it. So I believe is saying remove repair kits.

I will sit here in the Corner of the forums Super High pich screaming until this talk about any tool/weapon degration on repair has ended forever 😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manni44 said:

if this is sooo good why didnt we keep the degrading system we had already ? 

 

It was just  stupid grind. Get the corresponding parts and put it into the combine part of the workbench: voila shiny new toy.

Then use it some time and get more parts and agin put it into the combine slot. Rinse and repeat. 

Same with LBD. Craft heaps of useless stone tools to grind to maxskill.

 

Zombi-Ai was also terrible in A16. Zombies running in circles. No means to funnel them or play with AI.

Edited by Gr.o.m. (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Roland

 

Just a logical question but why not adapt the gamestage to the player instead the player to the gamestage?

 

If the main problem was that guns trivialized the game while gamestage was still low why not add in a hidden modifier what calculates how "dangerous" a player is and modifies a game for that? Like in skyrim as you progressed upwards the enemies stayed relatively at the same powerlevel but you got some sick tricks to deal with them.

 

 

For example lets say that the game currently sees the following:

 

  • Player lv21
  • T6 AK47 with 600 ammo
  • Basic cloth armor

 

Seeing this the game first takes the proper enemies against a lv21 player, scales up their durability according to the weapon and ammo the player has but decreases their damage because of the low armor value and finally adds in some randomisation values to keep each encounter fairly balanced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...