Tried A19, A16 is still best Alpha

~Kevin~

2 minutes ago, DividingByZero said:

why would the hardware store have a shipping crate with a stone tool in it

The stone tools were ordered for an exhibition about cavemen but they where nerver delivered to the museum. Mystery solved :)

The new lot system is not finished yet. There will be more primitive weapons in A20 and areas with better loot but also higher risk.

3 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

The stone tools were ordered for an exhibition about cavemen but they where nerver delivered to the museum. Mystery solved :)

The new lot system is not finished yet. There will be more primitive weapons in A20 and areas with better loot but also higher risk.

cant wait for the better loot areas i hope they make 5/8 of the map so we dont run out of houses to loot after 1 week.

11 minutes ago, manni44 said:

cant wait for the better loot areas i hope they make 5/8 of the map so we dont run out of houses to loot after 1 week.

Let's see if you are still as excited when you try to raid a factory in the first week and you are confronted with feral and radioactive zombies. 

2 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Let's see if you are still as excited when you try to raid a factory in the first week and you are confronted with feral and radioactive zombies. 

just dont do it :D u wont do it in fallout so u wont do it in 7 days to falloff

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:55 PM, Roland said:

Too late!  I already know it and I can arrange a date with Snowdog for you without all the cloak and dagger. 

Who wants to date me?   I have 2 slots open for friends with benefits...….. if you know what I mean.....

and I think you do….

To be honest, it did make more sense that for example, when your mining you get better at mining and leveled up.
Doesn't really make sense when you get XP for mining and then are able to spend points in a category that absolutely doesn't have to do anything with that mining skill.
Like your mining a lot and then suddenly have enough points for a minibike, in another tab that is not even in the same tab as the mining skill one.
This does help a lot when you are playing Solo though. 
You mine a bit out here, get a point to spend somewhere else, or the other way around...killing zombies so you can mine better.

So I kinda liked the old ways as well.
Wonder if it is possible to make certain different kind of modes?
Like "Multiplayer" mode, where everybody has to learn the skills like in the old times, so everybody in your friends group could actually take on a certain role.
And then "Solo" Mode, the current stuff we got now.
Both modes to be enabled or disabled for either multiplayer and singleplayer, so you could opt in for the MP mode, where u have to learn for example, mining skill by mining, cooking skill by cooking, etc, or the SP one we got right now.

Btw, I got a 4x4 truck on day 12. In A19. Not many skills needed,didn't spend any skill in that bicycle thing. I just kept doing the traders quests.
Doing the traders quests is like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.
You get to loot a house which you would be doing anyway to get items you need but you'll earn some extra dukes, an item reward like a stack of molotovs which helps you in future quests or other good items and get some extra XP as well doing it.  
Managed to buy 1 4x4 schematic and the other part was for sale for about +/- 12000 coins( did spend 1 or 2 points in bartering and had a cigar) which i earned by then doing those quests and selling the stuff i didn't need. 
I recommend doing a lot of quests from day 1 and either build up a small bloodmoon base for day 7 or hide on a roof somewhere, depending on the difficulty played as well.

I must add to this that I have put almost 4500 hours in to this game in total.
I've been playing 7 days to die and each version from it since A8. In my opinion A19 is the best so far.
It's just not what your used to and maybe it will have some time to get grown into, still a lot of room for improvement but yea, in my opinion The Fun Pimps finally are going into the right direction with this game in my opinion.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:34 PM, RipClaw said:

But what can they really add in to the primitive age realistically?

Flintlock pistol, a primitive crossbow, sword and an actual axe? We are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel with what the primitive age can offer.

28 minutes ago, Solomon said:

But what can they really add in to the primitive age realistically?

Flintlock pistol, a primitive crossbow, sword and an actual axe? We are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel with what the primitive age can offer.

The one I've heard about so far are different pipe firearms that use the same ammo as the T1 guns. That should allow the player to specialize early on.

If it were up to me, you wouldn't find any guns in crates or weapon bags during the Stone Age. All you would find are parts and a little bit of ammo.

But the developers are generous and give us ready to use weapons. They may not have a fancy military designation or kill a man at a greater distance, but they are still useful when used properly.

8 hours ago, RipClaw said:

The one I've heard about so far are different pipe firearms that use the same ammo as the T1 guns. That should allow the player to specialize early on.

At that point wouldnt it be better to just add in more weapons in general so you progress in a "realistic" manner?

Like:

p90 handgun (weakest 9mm)->Glock (midage 9mm)-> Whatever pistol (highest damage 9mm) then branch out here for 3 sidegrade pistols so everybody gets his favorite deal?

31 minutes ago, Solomon said:

At that point wouldnt it be better to just add in more weapons in general so you progress in a "realistic" manner?

Like:

p90 handgun (weakest 9mm)->Glock (midage 9mm)-> Whatever pistol (highest damage 9mm) then branch out here for 3 sidegrade pistols so everybody gets his favorite deal?

More guns? We currently have 14 guns in the game. 16 if I count the junk turret and the rocket launcher.

I remember when we only had 9 different guns and that was plenty.

The game is not a shooter and should not become one. It has elements of a shooter and that is all.

3 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

More guns? We currently have 14 guns in the game. 16 if I count the junk turret and the rocket launcher.

I remember when we only had 9 different guns and that was plenty.

The game is not a shooter and should not become one. It has elements of a shooter and that is all.

Thats true but with how the game goes weapons in general are the main part of the game and as such they should be expanded upon to fill out the gaps.

I specifically said constantly increasing weapon power so it matches the melee system where you replace stone with iron and iron with steel as you progress. This way the early game can still have pistols and such its just they are going to be weak.

4 minutes ago, Solomon said:

Thats true but with how the game goes weapons in general are the main part of the game and as such they should be expanded upon to fill out the gaps.

They are a part of the game but not necessarily the main part. Just because you consider them the main part doesn't mean that everyone does. I see building as the main part of the game but that is just my personal opinion.

7 minutes ago, Solomon said:

I specifically said constantly increasing weapon power so it matches the melee system where you replace stone with iron and iron with steel as you progress. This way the early game can still have pistols and such its just they are going to be weak.

And that is exactly why there will be pipe guns in A20. They will then correspond to the "stone" level of melee weapons.

Why do you insist that you need an industrially manufactured firearm?

32 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

They are a part of the game but not necessarily the main part. Just because you consider them the main part doesn't mean that everyone does. I see building as the main part of the game but that is just my personal opinion.

Honestly im not against a grand expansion of base defense contraptions. Acid sprinklers, more turrets, wall spikes and soo on.

33 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

And that is exactly why there will be pipe guns in A20. They will then correspond to the "stone" level of melee weapons.

Why do you insist that you need an industrially manufactured firearm?

Because i cant shake off the feeling that flintlocks and their kind as they currently look and what their materials are, they are not exactly primitive weapons at all.

I can pretty much make all the primitive melee weapons anytime IRL on the side of the road but a flintlock pistol requies a blacksmith to make and is essentially an iron age weapon.

13 minutes ago, Solomon said:

Honestly im not against a grand expansion of base defense contraptions. Acid sprinklers, more turrets, wall spikes and soo on.

Because i cant shake off the feeling that flintlocks and their kind as they currently look and what their materials are, they are not exactly primitive weapons at all.

I can pretty much make all the primitive melee weapons anytime IRL on the side of the road but a flintlock pistol requies a blacksmith to make and is essentially an iron age weapon.

You are taking "stone age" too literal. The official term would probably be "loot tier 0" and the weapons "tier 0 weapons"

The term "stone age" isn't about the material the weapon is made off and might even have been coined by players

18 minutes ago, Solomon said:

I think you're confusing primitive with historical.

Here's an article on improvised firearms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm

Improvised firearms have been found in prisons. They've been made from things inmates have access to.

Here is a example:

zipgun.jpg.fac89f7b1ef65f198124d4799d0c1ec4.jpgPistol.jpg.a0b222d282c9c9060e589a928e62d3b7.jpg

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

You are taking "stone age" too literal. The official term would probably be "loot tier 0" and the weapons "tier 0 weapons"

The term "stone age" isn't about the material the weapon is made off and might even have been coined by players

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

I think you're confusing primitive with historical.

Here's an article on improvised firearms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm

Improvised firearms have been found in prisons. They've been made from things inmates have access to.

Here is a example:

zipgun.jpg.fac89f7b1ef65f198124d4799d0c1ec4.jpgPistol.jpg.a0b222d282c9c9060e589a928e62d3b7.jpg

Yeah, no sarcasm but i really take it literally. Its because its tied up directly with tools and weapons what are something i would expect in prehistoric movies i kind of got attached to the term.

The fact that im suffering from sleep deprivation at this point too doesnt help me i think.

Anyway i would be okay with those improvised weapons as show in the pic, as long as they actually look primitive and not like something what you need a forge to recreate.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:55 PM, RipClaw said:

Where is the problem with that? I rather see a problem with the fact that you can do it in your first week. Some POI´s should only be possible to raid later in game. They did a step in the right direction with slowing down the progression, now they need to follow that path further down the road. I still say forge possible on day one needs to go tbh. 

21 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Where is the problem with that?

There was a bug in A17 that caused radioactive zombies to appear in the game much earlier and in greater numbers than would normally have been the case. The whining in the forum was very big. It was called the green plague.

I expect a similar level of whining when players think they can loot a factory in the first week and then get rekt.

I rather see a problem with the fact that you can do it in your first week. Some POI´s should only be possible to raid later in game.

One way to force this is to create an barrier that prevents the player from entering the area. But this feels artificial.

The other way is to make the opponent so difficult that he has to be well prepared. This allows the player takes the risk and if he succeeds he gets the reward. This would feel much more natural and it seems the Fun Pimps will take this route.

They did a step in the right direction with slowing down the progression, now they need to follow that path further down the road.

If you slow it down too much then the players get bored very quickly. The current pace seems to me to be appropriate.

I still say forge possible on day one needs to go tbh. 

Okay, then day two :)

22 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

One way to force this is to create an barrier that prevents the player from entering the area. But this feels artificial.

The other way is to make the opponent so difficult that he has to be well prepared. This allows the player takes the risk and if he succeeds he gets the reward. This would feel much more natural and it seems the Fun Pimps will take this route.

Yeah... hard barriers would be awful. I wonder if it would be a good idea for big loot POIs, like skyscrapers and military bases, to have some sort of built-in security system with turrets or whatever (but only in the loot room). That would at least make it hard for someone with primitive tools to get inside the loot areas. Any sensors could be easily taken out by a bullet, but not an arrow, something like that.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:49 PM, Dethar said:

Because people would race to have everything by day 20, then get bored. Then wait for next Alpha. So they are adding actual progression, and I dont have problem with it.

You obviously got bored with it if only have 1k hours. I have 3500 and had 2000 before A17.  Saw alot of people post wanting early access, and saying they started with alpha's in single digits and less than 1000 hours. Sounds like they got bored to me. Did you start playing on A16? I started A15.

I wasn't a fan if LBD. New skill tree isn't perfect, but I like it better.

You might want to try Darkness Falls overhaul then, it reverts alot back to A16.

as someone who has been playing since alpha 7 (or somewhere in there. I had to do a little digging to see what alpha was out when i started playing in 2013. the game released 2 weeks before i bought and started playing it) so 7-8 I can say with 100% assurance. this game is one of the biggest head scratches when it comes to gameplay over the years. its better then when it started... but it also is not? to be clear. I have technically never set foot in a game with other people that were not friends i invited (post alpha 17 when they put in peer to peer connections) so all my exp is single player as is all my enjoyment. when i play. I play day in and out for about a week and set it down and pick it back up again after some updates have gone by. just because after 3 or 4 blood moons. theres nothing close by left to loot (or used to not be) and i have most of the best items. 

as of alpha 17 or 18 (whichever made every building feel like a mini dungeon which i @%$*#!ing love tbh) im struck by this weird feeling of progression. I experienced it in 18 just like i am in 19's current build. I get bored so much more quickly. and frustrated. the game currently is so much more polished then it has been in years making it a lovely playground to run through. and yet there are so many small details that throw mud back into the process. My opinions do not reflect "pvp" mode. yes I get it. I understand these things there trying to do to force the game to be fair for other players trying to murder eachother. its stressful seeing people getting guns right away due to luck or people trying to cheese the system. I get it. 

I. Don't. Play. PVP. so these changes that help pvp? hamper me and any other single player or co op playing group of people. I don't want those things to be removed from pvp. keep doing that sure but i really think this game needs more access given to the modding community or more customization to alter the gameplay back to the way it has been in previous alphas. let us have our fun with rng and give us interesting enemies to fight on the 7th day like we were. so many great and horrible choices are being mixed that its staggering. I once played this game for like a week and a half or so straight. and had it set to 1 hour days (or 2 hour. hard to remember it was alpha 14) and finally tapped out cause i ran out of stuff to do by about the 37 or 38th ish day (pic of my base by the way will be below if you wanna see it). I had a base surrounded by a miles worth of wooden spikes, the best weapons, walls that were a layer of metal with spiked logs under them. ect. and this was before the locations were all interesting mini pathed dungeons that they are now. also i think the map was about half the size that it is now. 

also i want to note for anyone reading this that just started coming around alpha 16 forward. you missed out on alot of terrible ideas that were implemented over the years. My favorite was gore blocks. enemies would die and turn into blocks that would need to be manually removed after they died if they were blocking paths. so say you killed an enemy behind you in a building. and another was advancing on you. the enemy behind you turned into a solid grid space like dirt inside of a building hallway or doorway. so if your trying to get away you'd get cornered. also back when you could loot zombie bodies. this would turn them into gore blocks before you could loot them. also really frustrating on the 7th day. (and don't even get me started on the one alpha that briefly had to much gun shooting lead to mob spawns) 

Idk. im probably going to finish building my base and on the 7th day start a alpha 16 game or look up any mods that revert most of the choices implemented in alphas 17 forward while keeping the current map and building and loot stuff. cause most else is just agony to play through solo. regardless of chosen difficulty. I'm sure alot of people disagrees with me and some agree slightly. we all have our own opinions of how the game should be played after all. im just glad i have the choice to play the old alphas. 

251570_screenshots_20160801111632_1.jpg

Archived