A19 vultures are silly...

ubai

56 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I've got a 4GB mid-potato GPU and I have the same problem. I looked into it a very tiny bit and stumps are blocks just like trees are, so they ought to have an imposter to use for longer-distance rendering. I can see boulders and nitrate nodes from 200 blocks away, but the stumps don't show up until 20-30 blocks or so. I have to run a search-and-rescue grid pattern across the forest to make sure I cover everything.

I noticed that the treeStump block has this one line that trees don't:

<property name="ImposterDontBlock" value="true" />

Many other blocks have this property, and I can't make sense just from comparing the different blocks what the property actually does. I might play with this a bit to see if we can get stump imposters to show up. Maybe I can get tricky and substitute some other block's imposter for the stump. Hey, why are there fancy trashcans all round the forest? Oh, wait...

Thanks for this Boidster, I was starting to think I was going blind! :)

Just took a look at the blocks.xml. Nothing jumped out as to why Boulder/Ore-Nodes imposters are visible from much longer distance than Stumps.

Wondering if the setting isn't in the xmls, could be messy and part of groups of settings for the Video Quality LOD presets?

(thinking that the low/lowest settings might have to sacrifice some distance/models to fit hardware budgets?)

You might be onto something, maybe there isn't a low-rez imposter for Stumps? Could be it got missed or wasn't needed initially (I _think_ stumps were easier to find in earlier alphas?).

Saw this bit but it's only set to True for treeMaster and treeCactus01. Set to False for rockResource (the boulder I think).

property name="IsDistantDecoration" value="true"

It does have an enticing comment after it,

<!-- this block will ALWAYS spawn regardless of underground.fertile_level. On distant terrain the underground block is unknown. -->

but guessing it would be too costly for my 1GB card. Might be doable for you though..

21 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

You might be onto something, maybe there isn't a low-rez imposter for Stumps? Could be it got missed or wasn't needed initially (I _think_ stumps were easier to find in earlier alphas?).

I am currently testing this out. I think the above guess is correct - the stump does not have an imposter (or it is broken). The address for the Model parameter for the stump is weird and different from similar blocks, e.g. the iron node. Similar to cacti, though, so I'm playing with both.

I have successfully replaced the stump with ACs though (still chops as wood, returns honey). My goal is to find an impostor - like a wood pillar perhaps - to use for stumps while keeping the stump visual when close. There is an ImposterExchange parameter for many blocks; I need to play with it to see if it really swaps in a different imposter.

ETA: in my game the stump is visible from 21 blocks away, disappears at 22 blocks.

6 hours ago, Roland said:

You need to decide whether you are talking about the actual early game or not. Most of your complaints have to do with how vultures interact with you once you are in a vehicle. In the early game you don't even have a vehicle. Stop trying to make this a newly spawned character issue when it isn't. THAT is disengenous at best.

I never said that vultures were only a problem for bikes, and by early game I mean the first seven days, just to be clear. The megavulture clump attacked me on day 4 if I remember correctly, I was on top of the Pop n' Pills I was using as a base. Vultures are very annoying when I am on a bike, but they were a problem before I had a bike.

Your other statement, that "You find it fun to go into tougher biomes before you are ready and then cheat in remedies for yourself. <shrug> To each their own." Is also a false assumption on your part. It's not fun, but it is more fun than getting infected every five minutes by vultures.

Also, as I said before, I spawned in a desert, surrounded by wastelands and burnt lands. I did not choose to start there. I admit that I didn't know about the new "location based difficulty", so perhaps I should have packed up and headed for the nearest forest. That being said, I haven't heard of this new mechanic and maybe new players should at least have the option to choose the "starter" biomes now.

Anyway, enough. I have given my feedback and arguing with a moderator who is obviously convinced everything is fine is a waste of time. The game is great, everything is working as intended, and I'm a dirty, ignorant scrub who cheats in antibiotics because he doesn't understand all the subtle nuances of this finished and perfected game. 

Don’t forget thin-skinned....sheesh!

I didn’t say everything is fine. I went through your points as you charged me to do and identified which ones were working as intended, which were in need of more work, and which might be a bug that should be reported. 

Nothing about my response was “everything is fine” but it also wasn’t “It’s all broke and needs to be fixed to the way you might like it” either. 

5 hours ago, ubai said:

That being said, I haven't heard of this new mechanic and maybe new players should at least have the option to choose the "starter" biomes now.

This is one of the points that I stated is not great. New players are already supposed to only spawn in Forest. Spawning only the desert would be an example of the game not working right. 

A few times I have had to run around looking for antibiotics but i haven't had a single death due to infection. My worst infection was like 17%. I think you must have had extremely horrible luck to be stuck in an 'endless death cycle' due to infection. But one point I do agree with is the dmage they do when you are on a vehicle. If you want them to do this at night, to force players to fight the horde, I think that's cool. But if you take even a single hit on a vehicle you get some kind of debuff. If you take 2-3 you can sometimes have 3-4 debuffs.

I don't think vultures are difficult at all if you know they are there. They do cause what feel like cheap deaths when you are low on health and one ninjas you though. If it's early game and you don't have the ammo you can juke their attacks. When they swoop in for an attack and get within like 10 blocks of you just run directly straight, and a little off to the side, towards the incoming vulture. They don't turn and will generally go back up in the air for another attack. Or use corners of buildings to break line of sight and they will break off their attack. The worst thing you can do is just run away in a straight line with it at your back because it will just chase you at ground level. They get bored after awhile, juke it 4-5 times and it should deaggro.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:10 AM, Jugginator said:

0MPYoFK.gif

Atleast in morrowind, you had actual gear to fight back if you dared instead of stone tools.. The fact that the vultures are like they are now takes the fight or flight option away and makes it a fight or die option. Enemies are already annoying as hell on a blood moon, now they have heat seeking vultures just to make sure if your defenses fall you might as well log out of the game on a server or just stay dead till morning. Though Im sure TFP will find some way to break that too, like make it to where if you log out on a 7th day you explode the next time you log in or when you die even if you stay dead till morning the zombies just destroy all your @%$*#! and the world around you cause they cant find anyone to murder.

19 hours ago, ubai said:

So a new player who spawns in the desert should immediately stealth up and crawl to the nearest forest biome. Sounds like a blast. 😛 Also, thanks for pointing out my typo: WIA should be WAI, working as intended, In the same spirit let me help you by pointing out that "survival ar minimal" should be "survival arE minimal". 

I actually found out what it was supposed to mean long after I had posted that. Not everyone is a native english speaker on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 8:29 PM, Palad1n said:

Never been stopped by vultures while driving a motorcycle or the Jeep, and frankly put, you can easily outrun them on both of these motorized vehicles.

eh  nope are faster than motorcycle since a17 (4x4  was slower but its same in a19) as long as they decide to attack ... if they just circle around you may be lucky and  run away

On 8/3/2020 at 11:46 AM, Dracula said:

You default spawn in the burnt zone on the Navezgane map; ergo, vultures are still a problem on spawn there.

That’s only true for those instances when you spawn inside a vehicle or at 89% health. Since those instances never occur I’m not sure what the hell you are talking about. 

PROTIP: When you find yourself in the Navezgane burnt forest, run north. Works every time. 

A buzzard managed to get trapped in my base. All it did was wire around the ceiling trying to get out. As long as they aren't trying to kill me, I don't have a problem with them. Started to feel a little sorry for it so I knocked a hole in the wall so it can fly out.

The vultures can use a bit of improvement but to me they are alright. 
While gathering feathers and what not on the first day I also chop up tree stumps, gives a few honey for infections.

If you are a new player you should just play it on standard setting anyway, then it shouldn't be too hard to kill them with a wooden club.
Shouldn't also be too hard to find a blunderbuss or some other starter weapon that is better than a wooden club.

Also, in my personal experience, after every update and every new map, I started in a forest biome everytime.
So if you spawned in the desert you must have been unlucky or must have been some bug.

Talking about bugs, i do miss the oldskool hornets.

Archived