Edit History

meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Tahaan said:

Because of what I'm saying.

The model semantically means the opposite of TFPs official standpoint.  Whether it is effective as a weapon or not is irrelevant.

Let me give you another example:

If TFP said Spears were meant to be used as ranged weapons, and the spear model was a mace (which looks like it would be effective as a melee weapon) and I reported that the semantic meaning of the object - being a mace - conflicts with the intended purpose of the item - a spear - you would better understand it.  Of course if it is fun then let people use the spear as a melee weapon, it looks like a mace after all and we are not min-maxing, but the meaning is still wrong.

So what about the normal axe that doesn't look like a battle axe? Coincidentally axes have a history in zombie movies as a weapon. Still, for people not watching zombie movies would TFP have to change the normal axe to be more martial-looking to show to players they can use it as a weapon? Or should this be one of the things observant users might find out? Does the game have to spell out everything? Users can read the damage values of the axe, entity and block damage is listed for everyone to see. Trying out is a time honored tradition for zombie survival games and especially this one.

I see your point about the wrong hints given from the icon, but I see the misdirection as a minor fault and the positive effect from a cool visual as more important. The icon for nitrate powder is a lot worse IMHO, shown with a bottle when you often mine it out of the ground.

meganoth

meganoth

1 hour ago, Tahaan said:

Because of what I'm saying.

The model semantically means the opposite of TFPs official standpoint.  Whether it is effective as a weapon or not is irrelevant.

Let me give you another example:

If TFP said Spears were meant to be used as ranged weapons, and the spear model was a mace (which looks like it would be effective as a melee weapon) and I reported that the semantic meaning of the object - being a mace - conflicts with the intended purpose of the item - a spear - you would better understand it.  Of course if it is fun then let people use the spear as a melee weapon, it looks like a mace after all and we are not min-maxing, but the meaning is still wrong.

So what about the normal axe that doesn't look like a battle axe? Coincidentally axes have a history in zombie movies as a weapon. Still, for people not watching zombie movies would TFP have to change the normal axe to be more martial-looking to show to players they can use it as a weapon? Or should this be one of the things observant users might find out? Does the game have to spell out everything? Users can read the damage values of the axe, entity and block damage is listed for everyone to see. Trying out is a time honored tradition for zombie survival games and especially this one.

I see your point about the wrong hints given from the icon, but I see the misdirection as a minor fault and the positive effect from a cool visual as more important. The icon for nitrate powder is worse IMHO, shown with a bottle when you often mine it out of the ground.