Jump to content
farukhcasy2

New Player in need of tips

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I just got the game yesterday and have been messing around on a map with easyish settings so I can get a feel on how to play. I have died several times now and feel extremely "behind" on what I need to get done for harder nights to come. So far, I have made a small wood hut surrounded by spike traps and some fencing. Is there an easier way to fend off hordes during the night than this?

The skill and leveling system is also a bit overwhelming to figure out and any tips on that would be helpful.https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip https://testmyspeed.onl

Edited by farukhcasy2 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Wood isn't going to do much on horde night, fencing either. Depending on how you set up the spikes, the zombies might just path around them. Digging a one block trench and putting the spikes in there (so their top is flush with the terrain) supposedly works, but honestly I don't even bother with them. The best way to avoid dying on early horde nights (without avoiding them completely) is to create high ground that the zombies can't get to. Either the roof of an existing building (destroy the stairs), or a platform you built yourself (preferably made out of cobblestone over wood). Make sure there's plenty of support (they will start knocking out pillars) and that there are NO paths to you that require less than two blocks of jump height, ladders and small blocks like furniture etc. included. Otherwise the zombies will find that path and swarm you easily. Unfortunately they're much "smarter" than you'd expect zombies to be based on popular culture, and can find weak points n your structure easily, and this won't be readily apparent to new players.

 

Having fall back options is helpful, as is a way to get back on your platform if you fall off. Zombies can climb ladders, but they won't jump on them if they're two blocks from the ground, while the player can still reach that (if their leg ain't broken ;) )

 

Early weapons that work well on horde night are bows, blunderbusses and Molotov cocktails or pipe bombs. Of course guns do the trick as well if you manage to find them and their ammo.

 

As for perks to invest in early on: strength has a lot of stuff that will help you survive, from heavy armor to stamina management and cooking (you can't even make bacon & eggs without finding the recipe). A point in Advanced Engineering (under Intelligence) can help you get a forge and iron tools/armor a little quicker, but depending on what kind of stuff you loot you might not really need it yet. Intelligence also has Grease Monkey, which lets you make a bike and speed up the things you can do in a day significantly.

Early on you should be able to make do with simple items and a skill point invested here and there, specialization only becomes somewhat important during mid- to late game.

 

Good luck & have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is very simple, durable and expandable design to withstand up to day 35 hordes. 

https://imgur.com/a/Y2EYPQ0

 

A solid 3x3x4 cube of cobblestone blocks (clay from top soil + stone from below topsoil/above ground rock formation -> cobblestone -> flagstone block, which can be upgraded to cobblestone block) and 1 layer of wood bars, rotated by holding R and selecting advanced rotation. If you are unsure, construct more than 1 of these pillars. Stand on the bars and shoot through them. 

 

 

Edited by palikkamaa (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, palikkamaa said:

Here is very simple, durable and expandable design to withstand up to day 35 hordes. 

https://imgur.com/a/Y2EYPQ0

 

A solid 3x3x4 cube of cobblestone blocks (clay from top soil + stone from below topsoil/above ground rock formation -> cobblestone -> flagstone block, which can be upgraded to cobblestone block) and 1 layer of wood bars, rotated by holding R and selecting advanced rotation. If you are unsure, construct more than 1 of these pillars. Stand on the bars and shoot through them. 

Not to stink up the topic, but it's kind of funny that after all TFP's attempts to remove "cheese" bases, a simple cube will do the trick just fine. I won't pretend to know how they should work around that without completely destroying any chance the player has, but it's kind of weird to me that they removed relatively resource/effort-intensive strategies like death pits while a glorified pile of cobble or chopping out some wooden stairs all but guarantees your survival anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hrod Land said:

Not to stink up the topic, but it's kind of funny that after all TFP's attempts to remove "cheese" bases, a simple cube will do the trick just fine. I won't pretend to know how they should work around that without completely destroying any chance the player has, but it's kind of weird to me that they removed relatively resource/effort-intensive strategies like death pits while a glorified pile of cobble or chopping out some wooden stairs all but guarantees your survival anyways.

I don't think they will loose much sleep over this because a cube alone will eventually not be enough against late game zombies. And it isn't an exploit of zombie AI, the main reason something is changed.

 

The death pit (if you mean the pit to bedrock) on the other hand was just overpowered even against late game hordes. Saying they "removed" that strategy is wrong thoug, it was just a nerf. You still can remove 1/3 of all the zombies HPs by a drop base but need more to finish them off. Also if you let them fall half way to bed rock and a second time to bedrock you can even remove 2/3 of their HPs. More effort -> better result.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Ah, I didn't know they still took such amounts of fall damage, I stand corrected. Never bother with pits myself, since I don't enjoy the amount of digging it takes.

 

But most simple high ground bases hold up quite well into late game, in my experience. Upgrading to concrete helps, but with enough redundancy it's extremely unlikely for your platform to collapse anyways. It's not a big problem to me, especially since I expect the spider zombies to receive some updates that might make them able to actually jump on to stuff instead of into it, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hrod Land said:

Ah, I didn't know they still took such amounts of fall damage, I stand corrected. Never bother with pits myself, since I don't enjoy the amount of digging it takes.

 

But most simple high ground bases hold up quite well into late game, in my experience. Upgrading to concrete helps, but with enough redundancy it's extremely unlikely for your platform to collapse anyways. It's not a big problem to me, especially since I expect the spider zombies to receive some updates that might make them able to actually jump on to stuff instead of into it, lol.

It seems there will be a new boss zombie with a ranged attack (even before bandits)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meganoth said:

I don't think they will loose much sleep over this because a cube alone will eventually not be enough against late game zombies. And it isn't an exploit of zombie AI, the main reason something is changed.

 

The death pit (if you mean the pit to bedrock) on the other hand was just overpowered even against late game hordes. Saying they "removed" that strategy is wrong thoug, it was just a nerf. You still can remove 1/3 of all the zombies HPs by a drop base but need more to finish them off. Also if you let them fall half way to bed rock and a second time to bedrock you can even remove 2/3 of their HPs. More effort -> better result.

 

Hey, off topic but I still don't know the ropes of this forums, so will just ask you here.. What does the poi's and zombie volumes msg at the top of hated b173 msg mean in simple terms? I really don't want to restart since I got a superb location going on, I make videos for youtube and don't want to bore my viewers with endless restarts.. Is it going to jack my save if I just keep going? feel free to delete this after reading. Just couldnt find a explanation for dummies about what it meant anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, farukhcasy2 said:

I just got the game yesterday and have been messing around on a map with easyish settings so I can get a feel on how to play. I have died several times now and feel extremely "behind" on what I need to get done for harder nights to come. So far, I have made a small wood hut surrounded by spike traps and some fencing. Is there an easier way to fend off hordes during the night than this?

The skill and leveling system is also a bit overwhelming to figure out and any tips on that would be helpful.

That won't last through even the first horde, much less other later ones. And traps are really overrated. once one is broken, they all go to that point.

Best tip is find a poi that is in good shape, with two or more floors, and build inside it on the second floor. cut out all access to the second floor by zoms (no stairs, broken walls they can stair step up, or anything they can jump onto or stand on). put holes in the floor covered by wood bars to shoot through, or hatches to open to throw things (throwables wont go through bars).

If you want to see what I mean, search my name/channel on youtube, I have a bunch of videos up showing exactly how to build a killer base, and am getting ready to record one today, showing how to build one onto the pawn shop.

Skills and leveling are kinda simple. take your time and read what the perks and skill points say. building/repairing/mining are the best ways to earn xp to level up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Hey, off topic but I still don't know the ropes of this forums, so will just ask you here.. What does the poi's and zombie volumes msg at the top of hated b173 msg mean in simple terms? I really don't want to restart since I got a superb location going on, I make videos for youtube and don't want to bore my viewers with endless restarts.. Is it going to jack my save if I just keep going? feel free to delete this after reading. Just couldnt find a explanation for dummies about what it meant anywhere.

I haven't seen a detailed explanation myself, so can give you just my guess what it probably means:

When you do a quest, you get shown a yellow point to the last zombie. Also once you killed the last zombie a clear quest is shown as finished.

Now because of the patch you might not see the yellow point. And/or the quest shows up as finished and there still are sleepers in the building

 

It might also be that you can't finish a clear quest in some POIs because the quest thinks it isn't finished even though all zombies are dead. BUT that is highly unlikely as hatred said explicitely that the quest would be finished BEFORE all sleepers are killed

 

So, nothing serious, nothing that would crash the game, in the worst but unlikely case some quests can't be finished.

 

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" What does the poi's and zombie volumes msg at the top of hated b173 msg mean in simple terms?

Not sure what you mean by that. Screenshot of the msg plx?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I haven't seen a detailed explanation myself, so can give you just my guess what it probably means:

When you do a quest, you get shown a yellow point to the last zombie. Also once you killed the last zombie a clear quest is shown as finished.

Now because of the patch you might not see the yellow point. And/or the quest shows up as finished and there still are sleepers in the building

 

It might also be that you can't finish a clear quest in some POIs because the quest thinks it isn't finished even though all zombies are dead. BUT that is highly unlikely as hatred said explicitely that the quest would be finished BEFORE all sleepers are killed

 

So, nothing serious, nothing that would crash the game, in the worst but unlikely case some quests can't be finished.

 

So do you think that will be the case with any new quests I take? I don't have any open quests right now, except for a trader buried supplies.

17 minutes ago, Mday said:

" What does the poi's and zombie volumes msg at the top of hated b173 msg mean in simple terms?

Not sure what you mean by that. Screenshot of the msg plx?

its at the top of his msg about the newest update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

So do you think that will be the case with any new quests I take? I don't have any open quests right now, except for a trader buried supplies.

I'm pretty sure it will be with new quests, otherwise he would have just recommended to cancel old quests.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meganoth said:

I'm pretty sure it will be with new quests, otherwise he would have just recommended to cancel old quests.

 

Hmm, well that I can live with I guess. Since I really don't do quests that often anyway. Guess I will find out shortly, since I just updated it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...