Jump to content

PSA: Cougars and Direwolves can climb ladders...


Recommended Posts

...and they will team up to kill you.

 

So I was running a fetch quest at the army camp near the snow trader in Navezgane. I saw a mountain lion prowling around outside as I approached and didn't feel like that was something I wanted to fight on day 9. So I moved past it stealthily and into the base. I followed the radar toward my goal which was located in the little bunker structure on the edge of the camp. I'm clearing the zeds inside when I hear an unholy racket coming from outside - a combo of animal noises and zeds whacking on metal. I realize my time is short and quickly grab the quest parcel.

 

One of the roof tiles shatters and I see a lumberjack, hazmat dude, and the mountain lion all trying to smash their way in. I'm not sure what I really expected. I guess part of the issue is that I didn't play A18 all that much and there seems to have been a stark increase in the amount of wildlife from A17 to 19. Anyway, they weren't attacking each other at all, only teaming up to rip through the metal roof...and making good progress. I managed to drop the zeds through the hole with my sledge, but the mountain lion was moving too erratically and I couldn't time out my sledge swings properly. I knew the lion was going to be inside in seconds and I would not want to be trapped with it in close quarters, so I made a plan.

 

As soon as the lion broke its way in, I bolted for the door and ran for the guard tower. I made it onto the guard tower ladder (missing its bottom rung) and breathed a sigh of relief...too soon. Seconds later, the lion FOLLOWED ME UP THE LADDER. I screamed IRL and ran to the top of the ladder, then quickly jumped to the roof of the nearby military truck to avoid the 2 hazmat dudes that spawned up there. I turned around to see the lion still on the ladder TOGETHER WITH A DIREWOLF. My heart racing, I led a merry chase from the truck to the tower and back again, using my sledge to whittle my way through the cougar, direwolf, and both hazmats. None of the mobs tried attacking each other. They were 100% focused on me the whole time. The stamina situation got real tight at the end there, but I made it out without too much trouble. I considered staying to explore the base, until I saw a bear approaching and decided not to press my luck.

 

This episode got my pulse racing, but I'm not sure I like the fact that wildlife can climb ladders or that they don't aggro on each other. Thoughts?

Edited by Psychodabble (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts are that you must be the unluckiest dude ever or a liar ;) 

 

But this story is to awesome to be made up!

 

Wildlife of any kind in this game should not be able to climb ladders, opposable thumbs are required.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's probably an easy xml edit to change it. IIRC, mobs have a line like "canclimbladder=" or something like that. It just seems like an odd choice from TFP to enable climbing for them in the first place. Does anybody know if this is a new change for A19 or was it already in 18?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Psychodabble said:

I think it's probably an easy xml edit to change it. IIRC, mobs have a line like "canclimbladder=" or something like that. It just seems like an odd choice from TFP to enable climbing for them in the first place. Does anybody know if this is a new change for A19 or was it already in 18?

I'm at work right now, but someone could always check: http://7d2d.rocks/xml-defaults.php

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Psychodabble said:

...and they will team up to kill you.

 

So I was running a fetch quest at the army camp near the snow trader in Navezgane. I saw a mountain lion prowling around outside as I approached and didn't feel like that was something I wanted to fight on day 9. So I moved past it stealthily and into the base. I followed the radar toward my goal which was located in the little bunker structure on the edge of the camp. I'm clearing the zeds inside when I hear an unholy racket coming from outside - a combo of animal noises and zeds whacking on metal. I realize my time is short and quickly grab the quest parcel.

 

One of the roof tiles shatters and I see a lumberjack, hazmat dude, and the mountain lion all trying to smash their way in. I'm not sure what I really expected. I guess part of the issue is that I didn't play A18 all that much and there seems to have been a stark increase in the amount of wildlife from A17 to 19. Anyway, they weren't attacking each other at all, only teaming up to rip through the metal roof...and making good progress. I managed to drop the zeds through the hole with my sledge, but the mountain lion was moving too erratically and I couldn't time out my sledge swings properly. I knew the lion was going to be inside in seconds and I would not want to be trapped with it in close quarters, so I made a plan.

 

As soon as the lion broke its way in, I bolted for the door and ran for the guard tower. I made it onto the guard tower ladder (missing its bottom rung) and breathed a sigh of relief...too soon. Seconds later, the lion FOLLOWED ME UP THE LADDER. I screamed IRL and ran to the top of the ladder, then quickly jumped to the roof of the nearby military truck to avoid the 2 hazmat dudes that spawned up there. I turned around to see the lion still on the ladder TOGETHER WITH A DIREWOLF. My heart racing, I led a merry chase from the truck to the tower and back again, using my sledge to whittle my way through the cougar, direwolf, and both hazmats. None of the mobs tried attacking each other. They were 100% focused on me the whole time. The stamina situation got real tight at the end there, but I made it out without too much trouble. I considered staying to explore the base, until I saw a bear approaching and decided not to press my luck.

 

This episode got my pulse racing, but I'm not sure I like the fact that wildlife can climb ladders or that they don't aggro on each other. Thoughts?

So what was wrong with the cougar chasing you again?  

tumblr_n95bm1bVJn1sfp6m8o1_400.gif

Edited by Brugas (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Brugas said:

So what was wrong with the cougar chasing you again?  

Something something burning shaft mod...

21 hours ago, Reckis said:

Wildlife of any kind in this game should not be able to climb ladders, opposable thumbs are required.

I do not wish to deny OP's lived experience, however I just tested wolves, dire wolves, and mountain lions and none of them would climb the ladder to get me. They just attacked one of the blocks at the ground.

 

image.png.018851ef45ba502748732b23f53f29f1.png

 

I did find while doing my zombie vs. animal octagon deathmatches that bears and zombie bears will gladly climb over a 2-high wall if it includes ramps turned sideways (to make the angled octagon walls). Had to make it 3 high to prevent escapes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Solomon said:

I.....um......you have videos of that?

I do not, though it has been suggested. Maybe if I get real motivated I'll make a couple of videos. And make a YT account I guess.

 

You can see the results here.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Reckis More like I was certain someone else would obviously already have done it! It's Saturday and it's a hundred-and-hellno outside (plus...you know...the plague is out there) so maybe I'll noodle around with video editing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boidster said:

Something something burning shaft mod...

I do not wish to deny OP's lived experience, however I just tested wolves, dire wolves, and mountain lions and none of them would climb the ladder to get me. They just attacked one of the blocks at the ground.

 

image.png.018851ef45ba502748732b23f53f29f1.png

 

I did find while doing my zombie vs. animal octagon deathmatches that bears and zombie bears will gladly climb over a 2-high wall if it includes ramps turned sideways (to make the angled octagon walls). Had to make it 3 high to prevent escapes.

After reading this I felt a little crazy, so I checked the xml to see what's what. Sure enough, both animal templates (hostile and timid) are set to NOT be able to climb ladders. But...they did. I don't know if what I experienced was a bug or magical serendipity, but it happened.

 

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the mountain lion was somehow stacked directly on top of the direwolf...a similar effect to when zombies stack on top of each other? But they were definitely on the ladder itself because they actually pushed me up it at one point.

 

Maybe it had something to do with the specific placement of the ladder and truck at that POI? You might want to test at the actual location.

 

Also, if I understand the AI targeting priorities, the animals should have gone after the zeds at some point when they were closer than I was, but that never happened. I could be confused there, because players are definitely weighted as higher priority targets in some circumstances but not others and I'm not sure which is which.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Psychodabble said:

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the mountain lion was somehow stacked directly on top of the direwolf...a similar effect to when zombies stack on top of each other? But they were definitely on the ladder itself because they actually pushed me up it at one point.

 

Maybe it had something to do with the specific placement of the ladder and truck at that POI? You might want to test at the actual location.

 

I would guess that it wasn't really the ladder. I would guess that one of them clipped into something. Many times when something clips into something else, the code pushes them upward until it is free. You can see this once in a while on BMs when zombies push each other in narrow openings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...