the thousand hours + club

I joined the club back in a15 or so. Have rolled the odometer over since then. How many times? Never you mind now :)

I'm definately a builder/miner. I wouldn't have bought 7dtd if it hadn't been a voxel game.

Decided to put the heavy bit in a spoiler.

Spoiler

If I tried to describe 7dtds evolution to a non player I'd say something like; a15-16 was like that first muscle car you got in high school. Sure it had some dings & rattles, heater didn't work and the cracked vinyl seats were covered in duct tape. But that engine roared and the acceleration would make your girlfriend squeal. Then be pissed when you broke down miles from town. :)

A18 is more like a new Corolla. Everything works, but it only comes in five colors, you don't dare drive it on gravel roads and your girlfriend just takes a nap when you go for a drive, no matter how hard you mash the gas pedal.

Sure that's a bit harsh, and I haven't even played a19 yet, but the point is that, imo, TFPs lost a noticible chunk of 'fun' somewhere along the line.

There's only a couple YouTubers that I watch play 7dtd on any sort of regular basis. It seemed like their enthusiasm wasn't what it had been in earlier alphas, especially around horde nights, so I went back and watched a few vids from a16 playthroughs. Definately a noticible difference. And these guys were already long time vets when they were playing a16. Even after several a16 playthroughs their horde night excitement was real.

Not intending that to mean, "I'm right because YTer X said so". I was went looking in an attempt to determine if I had simply lost interest or if I really was having less fun than previously. And yes, of course we all tend to 'like' people that we have common ground with, so in a sense of course this was self validating. But I ain't gonna get into any long back & forths over it, heh. Take it as an honest attempt to see beyond the trees or not. Up to you.

And before anyone flames me, know this at least; I want 7dtd to be awesome. For both new and old players, and for it to be far more than TFPs ever dreamed their vision could be. And if it turns out that I'm in a tiny fraction of peeps who don't love the end product, I can live with that and would still be happy for TFPs. Yet that will only be true if I write my reality, and offer suggestions that I think may be of use. If I stayed silent, offered no critiques when they would have been honest for me to do so, then any praise I offered would be diminished by my lack of truthfullness. How folks take this, or any of my posts, is entirely up to them.

There are a bunch of Pros I could list, like modability, etc., but I kinda burnt myself out on this so moving on. :)

16 hours ago, Doctor3D said:

Oh me too.. Sometimes I'll try to make something simple. But, it virtually always ends up into this massive complex with tunnels, levels, secrets, lol Yah - the building is so addictive and you keep wanting to add more and more to the canvas. One idea, leads to another, leads to another - and before you know it - you've got this gigantic thing you've built and spend time in. Building is what keeps me in this game - for sure - all the other stuff is fun to - but it's the building - that's endless. There is no limit to what you can build. Even after every POI has been thoroughly explored over and over - you can always build..

That is also my guilty pleasure.  Been around since A6 and have around 1800 hours?  I took a couple breaks away from the game in the past.

Half my game time is probably building stuff.  Recreations of real world locales and from tv shows / movies is a favorite pass time for me.  I'm now at the point I can create high quality quest POIs and get alot of fulfillment and fun in sharing them for people to experience.  Check out my latest creations HERE.

Another huge chunk of my time is also into modding.  This game is so flexible its sickening.  

Edit: Gameplay wise, although MP coop is fun I really enjoy exploring and taking on the challenge of beating bloodmoons on my own. INT/PER builds for the win!!!!! 😂

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Oh please share your secrets oh wise one...lol

Hubcap mines are extra deadly when placed next to cars, and the new health bars are amazing if you break you leg. three of them will make it go from a 30 minute heal to a 15 minute heal, while negating the health debuff. Tunneling to the traders from you base is op. 

I need to test the oh shiz drops: if you eat them, fly the gyro copter, is it possible to exit the gyro copter mid air, collect it for the inventory, and not take any damage from the fall? If so then i don't need to learn how to land the damn thing..... 

46 minutes ago, SenpaiThatIngnoresYou said:

Hubcap mines are extra deadly when placed next to cars, and the new health bars are amazing if you break you leg. three of them will make it go from a 30 minute heal to a 15 minute heal, while negating the health debuff. Tunneling to the traders from you base is op. 

I need to test the oh shiz drops: if you eat them, fly the gyro copter, is it possible to exit the gyro copter mid air, collect it for the inventory, and not take any damage from the fall? If so then i don't need to learn how to land the damn thing..... 

Havent tried in in A19 yet, but i think it doesn't freeze in mid air anymore...

So there is a chance you take no fall damage but it falls on top of you and crushes you lol...

5 hours ago, SenpaiThatIngnoresYou said:

Are you on the normal difficulty?  I am finding that only one or two perks in a weapon skill is enough. you can even stop at 4 perks in a melee skill and still kill radiated with one well placed hit. I am also playing with the forgetting drink this play through. In fact i have no points in the archery skill tree, but a well placed shot with the compound crossbow seems to always kill with a stealth hit, though i do have all the book perks for it. I am starting to suspect that the books are definitely something to always buy and read if encountered. 

I mostly play on warrior, with zombies on jog, airdrops off, bm count of 16 (I think). And you're right that weapons aren't necessarily useless if you haven't perked into them, I'm currently on a Str build that branched into Agi a little (mainly for parkour, one of my favorite skills). Didn't put points into bows specifically, but sneaky headshots with iron/steel bolts do the trick just fine indeed. Although I rarely get to do that in POIs since I can't sneak for sh*t with all this metal on me.

But anything other than bows is noticeably affected by lack of perking, mainly due to aim acquisition being slow and sustained accuracy being terrible as a result. After the first shot it turns in to spray and pray, even with sniper rifles, at least in my experience. Becomes a total waste on ammo on BM nights.
I'm totally fine with not being able to perk out all weapons, I just want to choose my own combinations, rather than the current arbitrary grouping of weapon combos under attributes. I don't really see why the attributes are there, I guess. They don't do anything except gate perks and give very specific weapons a boost. That can easily be achieved by just having skill trees not tied to any attributes, covering groups of similar weapons or skills, for example "ranged weapons", "explosives", "armor crafting". It would remove the rather arbitrary restrictions that push you to "always" use shotguns if you want to be good at mining, or machine guns if you want to have a survival-oriented character, for example. Gating can be done by limiting perk point acquisition or increasing the cost of later perks, similar to how attributes become more expensive now.

Basically, strip the RPG elements that aren't really relevant to this game, or give them more effect in the world, as with actual RPGs. Let people choose their own perk combination instead of pushing them into a half baked class system. 

4 minutes ago, Hrod Land said:

I mostly play on warrior, with zombies on jog, airdrops off, bm count of 16 (I think). And you're right that weapons aren't necessarily useless if you haven't perked into them, I'm currently on a Str build that branched into Agi a little (mainly for parkour, one of my favorite skills). Didn't put points into bows specifically, but sneaky headshots with iron/steel bolts do the trick just fine indeed. Although I rarely get to do that in POIs since I can't sneak for sh*t with all this metal on me.

But anything other than bows is noticeably affected by lack of perking, mainly due to aim acquisition being slow and sustained accuracy being terrible as a result. After the first shot it turns in to spray and pray, even with sniper rifles, at least in my experience. Becomes a total waste on ammo on BM nights.
I'm totally fine with not being able to perk out all weapons, I just want to choose my own combinations, rather than the current arbitrary grouping of weapon combos under attributes. I don't really see why the attributes are there, I guess. They don't do anything except gate perks and give very specific weapons a boost. That can easily be achieved by just having skill trees not tied to any attributes, covering groups of similar weapons or skills, for example "ranged weapons", "explosives", "armor crafting". It would remove the rather arbitrary restrictions that push you to "always" use shotguns if you want to be good at mining, or machine guns if you want to have a survival-oriented character, for example. Gating can be done by limiting perk point acquisition or increasing the cost of later perks, similar to how attributes become more expensive now.

Basically, strip the RPG elements that aren't really relevant to this game, or give them more effect in the world, as with actual RPGs. Let people choose their own perk combination instead of pushing them into a half baked class system. 

Do you have the book perks as well? i have been making it a habit to get all the book perks i can get. It's interesting that you mention strength build, because i am noticing that most people are strength builds as well. It seems that is the goto tree with int being a close 2nd. I do a strength and int build, with a mix of perception and vitality. 

2510hrs, last played July 13. Not sure if this captures all of the modded gameplay using copies of the game , plus any offline time. 

Things I like: Up to and including A16 vanilla. 

Things I don't like: A17 onward without heavy modding.

34 minutes ago, SenpaiThatIngnoresYou said:

Do you have the book perks as well? i have been making it a habit to get all the book perks i can get. It's interesting that you mention strength build, because i am noticing that most people are strength builds as well. It seems that is the goto tree with int being a close 2nd. I do a strength and int build, with a mix of perception and vitality. 

Yeah I go for as many books as I can, there's quite a few gamechangers in there and books/schematics are currently the main things that make looting exciting. They help with rounding out perk trees, but in most cases I don't think they make weapons strong on their own. And in the end it's not even about weapons being "good enough", because I can survive just fine with the current setup, I just want to have more flexibility in building my character because it's fun and offers more replayability, while I don't think there are drawbacks to it that can't be mitigated rather easily.

3 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Things I love:

• Being able to wrench landmines to collect them
  •  

LOL :D  Never tried and knew that...

I wonder if the 1000+ hours club have gotten all the steam achievements already? 
I haven't got the 'Die 500 times achievement' and the 'hidden one' yet. 

A bit over 4K hours here. In SP i do permadeath on short days, less loot, no airdrops, no respawn. Hardly any building besides bloodmoon bases. Just seeing how reckless i can get without dying.

In MP we like to build big things. And have different kind of horde bases every week.

@Fren i just miss the PvP ones because i don´t like PvP and i miss around 230 death to get "Meet your maker". Got all the hidden ones tough.

5 hours ago, Fren said:

I wonder if the 1000+ hours club have gotten all the steam achievements already? 
I haven't got the 'Die 500 times achievement' and the 'hidden one' yet. 

Outside of testing where achievements don't count not nearly enough lol. Same with player kills.

Damn lol I thought I was bad with this game. (after reading most of this post) I just came back from like a 3 year hiatus and I was already 5 times qualified to be in here mind you if I could have been playing like I was the whole time id easily have passed 10k hours probably a couple years ago lol I get HOOKED on this som@%$*#!!

Love modding and finding glitches to report back to the pimps.

Also honored to have noticed a Bunch of my modded features actually make it into the game!

EVEN being able to sacrifice product for speed and just press E to pick up grass is blanked out in the VANILLA scripts!

my old mod and videos all had that feature 😃 very cool.

I cant think of a negative thing about this game I often cite it as The Greatest game of all time imo.

I remember back in like 10.4 or so when I realized you could trap dogs and then later all zombies in wood frames... Man my buddy was SOO pissed all the time cuz id leave hoardes just STUCK there swinging at him in front of his base XD. (they fixed this shortly after I'm pretty sure he sent in so many report tickets over that)

Or has anyone tryed getting some friends on your server having some drinks? some of the best fun I've probably had in a game LOL

wake up the next day and you have a bunch of giant sand cocks covered in torches and stuff all over the place haha.

Like I said I can't think of anything negative.

My hardware was always pretty top notch though so lag and stutters or graphical issues are almost always non existent.

if I had to say my favourite build was probably somewhere before that crazy A11 update I'm thinkin around A10.5 or so might have been .7.

Anyway back at it my mod aint going to finish itself just wanted to drop in and share a bit of love and the title caught my eye 😃 

Archived