Telrics A19 Modlets (New MOD Added: 07/08/2021)

Telric

Hey all, I just put out a fishing modlet (can be found under the events modlets section). It's a bit of a test modlet to see what people think of this style of fishing. Working on this RPG mod and this is the type of fishing in that mod... Though much much less involved. Test it out and let me know how you like it. There's only 1 recipe for the fish atm.. I hate doing recipes... Be sure to read how the mod works. The white cube is intended... :) Enjoy!

• Telric changed the title to Telrics A19 Modlets (New Mod Added: 01/22/2021)

Very intuitive and easy to figure out. I ran through and caught 2 fish just to test it and had no issues. The fish aren't worth a lot but don't really cost much in resources or time so that's a good thing otherwise it would be easy to circumvent hunger by just fishing for a while. I could see some not liking the pop ups or arcade style noises if they are going for something more immersive but the trade off being it teaches you as you are going (for instance telling you when to mash the f button) is worth it. I like the style myself, just something I am throwing out there.

I also came here to suggest recipes before I saw you hate making recipes. :D Maybe at least make it so the fish you catch can be used to make cans of tuna or salmon which can then be used in other already existing recipes?

As always thanks for the mods.

P.S. If I had a small gripe it would be the "fishing spot" being so close to shore (and the white block). I think it would be nicer to have it farther out but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Edited by CynicalGamer (see edit history)

3 hours ago, CynicalGamer said:

Very intuitive and easy to figure out. I ran through and caught 2 fish just to test it and had no issues. The fish aren't worth a lot but don't really cost much in resources or time so that's a good thing otherwise it would be easy to circumvent hunger by just fishing for a while. I could see some not liking the pop ups or arcade style noises if they are going for something more immersive but the trade off being it teaches you as you are going (for instance telling you when to mash the f button) is worth it. I like the style myself, just something I am throwing out there.

I also came here to suggest recipes before I saw you hate making recipes. :D Maybe at least make it so the fish you catch can be used to make cans of tuna or salmon which can then be used in other already existing recipes?

As always thanks for the mods.

P.S. If I had a small gripe it would be the "fishing spot" being so close to shore (and the white block). I think it would be nicer to have it farther out but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it's mostly just a test to determine how it'd be welcomed in my rpg mod. That's why there's more arcadey type things on it with the icons and what not. Ill definitly add a couple recipes sometime today (just got home..). As for the distance, that can be adjusted easily in unity so ill look into that. In the mod i'm working on, you actually progress your fishing, unlocking new fishing poles that can catch different fish and all. They all have different bite chances, but for this one I just put it at 8% per second... That could be lowered or upped depending on how OP it all feels.

This deserves more feedback, I've been meaning to get around to responding. 😃

Not a lover of the 'arcade style' floating fishing rod icon 'stand here' thing, or the popups/text. What would be nice... =P

1.The standard fishing pole, fishable in any water without the need for placing a 'fishing location block'/standing in one spot. (Like MeanCloud has the fishing rod in his)

- This would catch the generic fish

2. Low onscreen prompts 'You have a bite!' (Not the F to reel/thing at end of fishing rod) and the 'Caught!' low onscreen as well. (Like where the 'You cannot use this at this time' sits.

-Into the bounds of 'maybe not possible now-

3. Instead of the white 'Fishing' placeholder block that vanishes, a bag of craftable berley as its model which of course would dissapear when the fish then appear 😃 

I'm not sure if item mods can give a buff, but if so, having a single mod slot in the fishing rod, to put 'lures' into, the lure buff matched with the buff of the berley type we crafted (if it's possible to change the 'fishable water' buff thing to be fishable only by having the mod lure buff). Multiple fishing location blocks disguised as berley bags, that we craft when wanting certain types of fish schools, matching our lure to it.

This is by no means meant to be a scathing reply, the fishing rod itself fits great. I just enjoy immersion and things matching the style of the game. =P

Kind regards and many hugs just for being able to wield and visually see a fishing rod infront of my character,

Cinna

51 minutes ago, Cinna said:

This deserves more feedback, I've been meaning to get around to responding. 😃

Cinna

Thanks for the feedback! Fishing in any water is possible with this mod, but (as with meanclouds mod) there just aren't enough variables to check in buffs.. For example, I've tested buffs like meanclouds where it checks wetness levels. But the problem is, when it rains, that allows fishing any any location, no water needed. There isn't a check for specifically in water. I've always wanted to stay away from placing a block item and let it upgrade to get your fish. I wanted it all done with the fishing rod, so I went with buffs. Sadly, this makes it so I need to specify when fishing is available...

This would be very possible if water was still it's own biome. Just run a biome check on the player when holding the rod. but unfortunately, water is now dynamically created at world gen. When I was doing my pirate mod, I had a custom world with water actually set to the correct biome and it worked flawlessly in any body of water. But that was with painting custom biomes.. 😕

As for the on screen prompts, that could be changed to display where notification text shows up. I might dabble in that a bit at some point to see how it'd work. You can only display one notification at a time, so if you get hot or something while fishing, it might not display "you caught a fish, reel it in" till its too late. But ill see. :)

I think item mods can give players buffs, but those buffs can't be used to change what item is generated with right click (it uses the same idea as drinking a glass of water gives back an empty glass), so it has to be tied to specific items when done this way. I tried every possible combination of buff to get this working, trust me. lol. Requiring a different rod for different fish is very annoying, but I'd rather use buffs in place of the player putting a block down and it growing into loot.

And no scathing interpreted... lol.  Ill look into the buff pop up thing though for sure. That'd atleast remove the arcadey pop ups.

Something I forgot to mention; the fishing rod icon is extremely hard to see (or my eyes are horrible) and really gets lost when stored in a box among other items.

I did have a few instances where I had trouble getting the fishing spot to activate but setting another usually did the trick.

1 hour ago, CynicalGamer said:

Something I forgot to mention; the fishing rod icon is extremely hard to see (or my eyes are horrible) and really gets lost when stored in a box among other items.

I did have a few instances where I had trouble getting the fishing spot to activate but setting another usually did the trick.

Sounds good. Ill work on the icon a bit as well. Ty for the feedback! As for the spot, it's a block that's placed and you step on it to get a buff. So if something is sorta covering it, it might not work right. Terrain can kinda overlap hitboxes or raise your character just enough so you won't step on it correctly all the time.

Firstly, Thank you for the detailed response. :)

The 'fishing location' can be tossed out anywhere as well though. For example in the picture below, fishing from a picnic table and a fish caught.

8 hours ago, Telric said:

but I'd rather use buffs in place of the player putting a block down and it growing into loot.

I fully agree on that, personally that and lack of fishing rod in hand was the greatest immersion breaking factor of it.

If I understand correct, without a water check being possible now, just wetness, people will always be able to gimp this, that's on them if they want to cheat their game I guess.

With that in mind if you're going to reapply the textures in various colours on the rod so it's distinguishable, a placeable fishing rack block displaying different coloured fishing poles would be great as a storage container specifically for the extra rods.

I think I see how to change it to be useable anywhere without the block/buff. :)

screenshot_1347.png

10 hours ago, Cinna said:

Alright well.. lemme ask this. Do you play only SP? SP and MP are completely different when it comes to buffs.. I've been trying my best to make mods that work with MP along with SP, but with SP I'd have way more freedom. Example, in MP, a buff on an enemy entity doesn't always fire off correctly, when using the AOE targets. It will fire off correctly for the host, but not for clients. But in SP, it will fire correctly every time. If most of the people play SP that use my mods, I'll just start focusing on SP stuff. Might put up a poll on the main page later today and see.

If SP is the goto for my mods, I'll just scrap this fishing mod and redo it into something a bit different. I have an idea of how it'd work already. But ill see about it later today after some skating :)

And you're right.. It is on the player if they cheese the way games / mods are meant to be played. 100% agree.

I used a paid dedicated host. I do see what you mean by being the non-host in this situation as I just uploaded all the mods to the dedicated again (I've been really playing it in sp for weeks now) Even with low latency as the dedicated server is located in my country, the fishing was really out of synch.

I tend to binge play this game, and as the dedicated server strangely errors/will not read one of the asset bundles from a mod I added (yet it works fine non dedicated/sp) I think I will be going back to being the host. = P  As I'm the fisher, whatever you come up with won't affect me, I do sincerely hope for block removal/arcade feel removal, just the ability to fish. Though I wouldn't gimp myself fishing in terrain on a rainy day. 

Building a fishing shack, having a place to go to/relax and still have it be worthwhile by fishing/making food (And especially the additional recipes). adds in another layer of awesome to the game. = )

On 1/27/2021 at 6:55 PM, CynicalGamer said:

17 hours ago, Cinna said:

I just put out a revised copy. Can be found here: New Fishing. Be careful though. If you had the old mod installed, you may get errors. You'll need to remove the fishing spot blocks that you placed (need to dig under them so they fall). The new files remove that feature. In the new mod, you can fish in any body of water, as long as you're standing in it. Doesn't have to be deep. Just a toe tickle. I removed the pop ups and changed some sounds. I tested with the tooltip pop up, but it was extremely all over the place as to when it'd pop up. Since you can only have 1 tooltip on screen at once, it would get backlogged and appear after you'd already caught the fish. So i didnt add that. I did add a splashing sound when you have a bite.

Also i editted the icon a little bit so you can tell it's a fishing pole a bit faster. Lemme know if it works for ya

Yes!!! That works great! Love it. = )

Could we possibly for the creative menu have a copy of 'fishable water ready' block, without the fish school/buff icon. Basically an invisible block with the water properties buff on it, to put on fishing piers too. (Which would be removeable by removing the block below and letting it fall and break like any block in the air), so we could fish from piers as well.

Yes, I did place directly a few of those without the helper to see, among..other tests. = P

screenshot_1352.png

I hope this day see's you well and in fine form, apologies for such a delayed response on this! 

Where to begin, hmm. = P Your ears may be have been burning over the weekend, as at this end of the internet you were mentioned so many many times. (Embarrassingly so when family members who don't even play this were dragged to the pc with a 'what even?' look on their faces, lol!) I see that invisible fishing block can be damaged/removed quite easily. = ) As I worked away today I was picturing varietys already of a waterfront home.

On the flip side..

Thank you for being such a cool mod author, for taking suggestions and making it happen.  For not taking my feedback scathingly. For me the immersion now is 100%, I will stop wondering why the zombies who eat flesh somehow scared away all the fish, and shall enjoy the chance of getting a bite to finally reel in a fish if I'm quick enough.

Should you ever take donations, send me a message so I can please.

Many big hugs,

Cinna

11 hours ago, Cinna said:

I was wondering why my head was on fire today! I enjoy modding. If someone finds the mods fun, I consider it payment enough. I'm always up for suggestions and feedback. Even if I don't always implement the feedback into the mod. So if you have any more suggestions, send them my way and I'll look into some. Have fun fishing!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Telrics Thumper 2.0 so I like to give some feedback.

The great:
Innovative and fun way to make quests. Make more like this :)
Nice with new resource to craft things we need.

Things that need more balance:

The event is happening too often, making it annoying instead of something rare and fun.
The crafting of things should be in accordance with normal requirements or it will become very unbalanced, like making ammo with no perk.

17 hours ago, xxx73 said:

I really wanted to make a custom POI that would spawn parts of the thumpers, instead of having them crash (easier to limit how many spawn) but i just got side tracked with other projects. I might revisit it sometime though. Something like the shotgun messiah's size with custom zombies related to thumpers... Maybe one day. lol

Thanks for your reply. I love that they fall from the sky at random times, only challenge is to balance it. Right now I'm using it in my game and I balance it on the way.
Thanks again for a great quest mod, really nice way to do it.
Keep up the great work, your mods adds a lot of value to my game, thanks.

• Telric changed the title to Telrics A19 Modlets (New MOD Added: 07/08/2021)