The eating requirement is breaking emersion

ElCabong

Just to jump onto this.

My experience so far is i went from A18 where with 5/5 Iron gut (0 sexual tyrannosaurus) i could generally keep myself going with a few sham chowder doing a day of mining.

A19; sexual tyrannosaurus + iron gut and i can't leave base without 2 stacks of sham chowder to get through half a day of mining.

From what I've noticed exertion-based food depletion hasn't changed much. its just the passive depletion over time that's gone nuts. Even if I'm massively hot in the wasteland my food will passively tick down faster than my water. Even constantly chugging red tea and mineral water its gone in an instant.

Playing in multiplayer just standing around for a couple minutes waiting for a craft to finish I've been tempted to log out while I'm waiting because I'll lose about 1/3 of my bar just standing around. And once again in that time I'll maybe see a sliver of the water meter.

So realism or not; the current system seems to undermine the talents that are supposed to make you better at handling this resource. Not to mention with sexual tyrannosaurus somehow contributing more to hunger depletion than iron gut, it feels like str is the wonder-stat; and Fort has barely any point now, especially considering how ignoring the baseline regen nerf, the way max health works now makes the regen perk way less useful; iron gut barely helps anything now because most things don't have a dysentery chance; and the things that do were significantly nerfed (and now do HP damage to you); and with heavy armor moving there i can barely justify messing with that tree anymore.

But i guess that's a bit off-topic.

Have not really had an issue with food tbh.  Most of the problems with it are overstated IMHO.

First, the stamina hit is only to max stamina, not to stamina regen as far as I know so it actually does not effect mining in any shape or form.  If I am mining and I get hungry it does not matter - either my stamina is continually around 0 the entire time or it is maxed and that max is not all that important.  Even questing the having a slightly lower max stamina is not a huge deal.  In 18, your stamina could go as low as 25% and that was a major deal, now the stamina loss is far less and can be managed.  Further, starving is almost moot.  The HP loss from starving is very slow and almost all of it will be healed the next time I bother to eat a proper meal.  I put a single point into living off the land because that first point is OP considering it doubles the effectiveness of all farming.  Never spend any other point in anything to do with food, hunting or cooking and have no problems with eating past the first few days.

If you have ever had an super hard physical job, I can tell you, 4 hours after stuffing your face, you are ready to do it again. Mining is certainly that type of job.

Now sitting at a desk typing... You can do a whole day on 1500 calories, vs the 3000 you'd be eating working in a warehouse just to maintain body mass.

What you are doing matters a great deal. Level up a few skills and you are a machine that never gets tired and hardly has to eat. It is all about how you play the game. Personally I like that you earn something later in regard to food/water. It widens the player progression experience.

23 hours ago, Arcueid_Brunestud said:

Just to jump onto this.

Playing in multiplayer just standing around for a couple minutes waiting for a craft to finish I've been tempted to log out while I'm waiting because I'll lose about 1/3 of my bar just standing around. And once again in that time I'll maybe see a sliver of the water meter.

That sounds like a bug. There should be no depletion of the hunger bar for just standing still. Apparently, there is also an issue of some servers not updating to the most recent build causing a mismatch between server and client. In SP, hunger depletion is not occurring the way you describe.

My issue is that it takes a lot of meat to make boiled meat, and then it gives you very little actual food. So, what exactly is the point of having the perk to hunt animals if it burns more calories looking for animals than you get from the meat you obtain? Maybe I can put a bunch of points into the perk that harvests more meat, but that's in another skill tree entirely.

4 hours ago, SgtThompson said:

My issue is that it takes a lot of meat to make boiled meat, and then it gives you very little actual food. So, what exactly is the point of having the perk to hunt animals if it burns more calories looking for animals than you get from the meat you obtain? Maybe I can put a bunch of points into the perk that harvests more meat, but that's in another skill tree entirely.

The point is to learn to cook better recipes like meat stew because boiled meat is inefficient. Grilled and boiled meat are the stone axes of axes.

I just came up here to see if anything was broken with hunger in the 19 version and wow, yea I am not the only one who has to eat 8-10 times a day and am still hungry. Something in the game mechanics is off. I am putting points into Iron gut and still shoveling food like I am in a daily hot dog eating contest.

Something in the game balance is way off. There are a few good ideas on rebalancing things but current state is horrid gameplay

There does seem to be a disparity in my actions in a day and how often food needs to be taken in...idk if its a balance issue, or just something I need to adjust to (Warrior,day jog zeds, fist fighter, 1 pt in iron gut)

I feel like I eat waaay too often, and I get that maybe in the past we (players) weren't eating enough for balance, but this feels like we swung to far in the opposite direction 

don't get me wrong, its survivable, but it is a bigger hurdle than it ever was before in my experience (a15-now)

and on that not, being a "fort" build, I would like to see a little tiny bit more normal regen after losing the "max health heal" regen due to recent changes...but thats just me

I've just done my first 7 days in game and I have to say the food requirement is really aggressive. 

At first, I was pleased that they seemed to have made food relevant again (after easily surviving on boiled eggs for the entirety of A18, and having storage full of canned food and stacks of meat going to waste) ... but after playing for a while, I've come to the conclusion that they have gone too far. 

It is now an eating sim.  All I do, is loot POI's for food.  I have no time to prepare a base.  This is also the first time ever, that I've bothered putting points into iron chef and sex t.rex.  I feel like it such a waste. Those points could have gone into something so much more interesting.

I've noticed when TFP nerf something, they usually nerf it into the ground and then balance after, so I'm sure they will balance it, because it's honestly ridiculous. I just hope they do it sooner rather than later because it's kind of putting me off playing.  Sitting at work thinking "Oooh, I'm going to kill some zombies tonight" , and then realising "No I'm going to be hunting for and eating 5 million calories of food tonight". 

3 hours ago, hotpoon said:

This is also the first time ever, that I've bothered putting points into iron chef and sex t.rex.

You should have put one or 2 points into master chef instead and go for cooking bacon & eggs or even better meat stew instead of just eating low value canned food you looted. If you haven't found some receips for cooking anything valuable already.

A campfire is cheap and can be built quickly everywhere.

3 hours ago, hotpoon said:

"No I'm going to be hunting for and eating 5 million calories of food tonight". 

Can anybody who claims to have such a high food burn rate please post a video and link it here? As people say they burn their food in only 5mins while mining, such a video should not be that long anyway. I just want to see what they are doing and how the food burns down quickly, because for many other people it seems to be different. And i'd like to figure out, if this is really a bug for some players, or people do something essential very wrong.

3 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

You should have put one or 2 points into master chef instead and go for cooking bacon & eggs or even better meat stew instead of just eating low value canned food you looted. If you haven't found some receips for cooking anything valuable already.

Can anybody who claims to have such a high food burn rate please post a video and link it here? As people say they burn their food in only 5mins while mining, such a video should not be that long anyway. I just want to see what they are doing and how the food burns down quickly, because for many other people it seems to be different. And i'd like to figure out, if this is really a bug for some players, or people do something essential very wrong.

My bet is that many players still run around with a full backpack. You are not only slower you also massively increase food use (AFAIK).

Walk if you must haul more stuff than you can carry or use a stimpack. Build or buy pocket mods for your clothes and armor any chance you can get, even put points in pack mule. Put off heavy armor if you want to run a longer distance.

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

My bet is that many players still run around with a full backpack. You are not only slower you also massively increase food use (AFAIK).

Didn't put an eye on it closer... my assumption was that encumbered just makes you slower. But as you say it, it also drains stamina faster so i guess it does also burn more food. I try to avoid it, because even just the slowdown is anoying.

But that is why i asked for a video to show the case. Maybe those people are doing anything massively wrong and the initial problem is not the food burn rate, but how act in the game.

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

Walk if you must haul more stuff than you can carry or use a stimpack. Build or buy pocket mods for your clothes and armor any chance you can get, even put points in pack mule. Put off heavy armor if you want to run a longer distance.

I suspect most of the complaints are coming from people who are running around encumbered, in full scrap armor, spamming power attacks, thinking they can spend all of day 2 mining and will never have to invest points in cooking or sex rex.

I'd consider it a non-issue if they'd replace the starting can of food with a shepards pie or similar.  That would get you through the 2nd day at which point it's not that hard to find enough.

23 hours ago, Forgotten Memes said:

I suspect most of the complaints are coming from people who are running around encumbered, in full scrap armor, spamming power attacks, thinking they can spend all of day 2 mining and will never have to invest points in cooking or sex rex.

I'd consider it a non-issue if they'd replace the starting can of food with a shepards pie or similar.  That would get you through the 2nd day at which point it's not that hard to find enough.

This! Imo the first couple days you should be walking more than running. Power attacks are fine later game (even then I don't use em much) but early game they're hurting you. Whack snowberries/yucca along your way and eat those too. They easily add up to 2 steaks worth of free food a day. Watch your encumbrance, drop chests are cheap.

Just created an account to see if anyone was talking about the food issue. I've read a few of the replies and it seems that the opinions are mixed. My experience is that I'm ALWAYS hungry or starving. Filling the bar up doesn't help for very long and I'm several levels away from good recipes. I've never had problems managing hunger before. This change seems too aggressive and it makes the game less fun. I play with 8 other people on private server and no one is logging in because getting enough food to function normally in the game has become incredibly annoying. That's really the bottom line, it's not impossible to survive...it's annoying. Every time I start to have fun on a quest or get into building a cool base my stomach starts growling and it's annoying.

And before you guys jump down my throat I realize we could probably do a few things to mitigate our hunger and it will probably be a non-issue in the later levels. I know that. But that sort of gameplay isn't fun and no one I know wants to put up with it. We want to run around killing zombies, not open a restaurant.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:54 PM, Liesel Weppen said:

You're probably right, but again that would feel like a waste of points to me. Especially with progression slowed down, I don't want to feel forced into putting points into survival areas rather than the areas I primarily play the game for.  If it points were easy to come by, it wouldn't bother me so much.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:54 PM, Liesel Weppen said:

I was exaggerating about the 5 million calories of course...or was I?  I have no idea because I didn't actually count the calories. What I can tell you is that I play with long days (set to 120) and after a week I haven't been able to build anything remotely resembling a base because I have to spend all my time hunting down food.

1 minute ago, hotpoon said:

You're probably right, but again that would feel like a waste of points to me.

Complaining about having to less food is negating the statment that those points feel wasted.

Especially with progression slowed down, I don't want to feel forced into putting points into survival areas rather than the areas I primarily play the game for.  If it points were easy to come by, it wouldn't bother me so much.

Doesn't matter how you want to play the game, food and eating is a part of the game. It's the same like i'd say how i want to play the game is just building. Please remove the zombies from the game or make them even weaker.

I was exaggerating about the 5 million calories of course...or was I?  I have no idea because I didn't actually count the calories. What I can tell you is that I play with long days (set to 120) and after a week I haven't been able to build anything remotely resembling a base because I have to spend all my time hunting down food.

That's why i want to see a video. I have no idea what you are doing wrong, but obviously you are doing something wrong.

And of course, one point in master chef feels like a waste, but you spent all time hunting for food.... sure. At least you set your priorities straight forward... NOT.

On 7/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, meganoth said:

I didn't know that. I don't wear heavy armour, but I am a hoarder, so for sure, I'm running around with a full backpack.  If they've made running while overburdened use more stamina, then that seems a bit too simulator for my taste.  At this rate, by A20, we are going to have to be working out our macronutrients for optimal gains.  I'd much rather put that much effort into my real life where it's going to actually benefit me than turning a game into a job...but hey some people purposefully play games where they have to be a janitor and clean up crime scenes. :classic_laugh:

2 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Complaining about having to less food is negating the statment that those points feel wasted.

Doesn't matter how you want to play the game, food and eating is a part of the game. It's the same like i'd say how i want to play the game is just building. Please remove the zombies from the game or make them even weaker.

That's why i want to see a video. I have no idea what you are doing wrong, but obviously you are doing something wrong.

And of course, one point in master chef feels like a waste, but you spent all time hunting for food.... sure. At least you set your priorities straight forward... NOT.

You've missed the point a little bit there.  My statement doesn't negate anything.  I don't want to feel forced into putting points into certain areas of the the skill tree.  I'm sure that's not what the Fun Pimps want either. They want a variety of builds. if everyone has to spec into survival parts of the game, then why have an open skill tree at all? 

The food drainage needs balancing in my opinion.  Clearly not for you.  You're loving it, and loving arguing with everyone that doesn't.  Which brings me to the point that if I was the only one complaining, you could maybe pull the "playing the game wrong" card, but with so many people complaining, it's clearly a balance issue.  Nobody owes you a video or squat for that matter. You're not on the dev team, and you're not the overseer of how people should play.  Maybe just let people give feedback on balancing issues so the devs can make their own call.  You can give your own feedback to the contrary without hassling each person on the thread.

The food drainage needs balancing in my opinion.  Clearly not for you.  You're loving it, and loving arguing with everyone that doesn't. 

I'm not loving it, and yes it could be tweaked a little. But you are talking like the game is almost unplayable and i want to understand why that makes the game unplayable for you. Everything that you are telling here seems to be massively overexagregated. I would support your argument if the game would work like you are trying to tell here but it doesn't. Are you sure we are playing even the same game?

Haven't read all 4 pages, but just chiming in to say I agree with the OP. I find as I'm looting houses, I have to chug every can I find in every kitchen, and my dude has still got belly ache.  Complete overkill and not fun.

I'm sure this all thanks to those few people who were complaining in the dev diary about food being too plentiful and farming having no meaning. Sure that mighta been true, but dammit, come up with a carrot reason to eat better, not a stick reason.

Archived