Now that You have played Alpha 19, What do you like or dislike?

Anyway,

PROS

- I actually have the music on for once. Definite pro

- I like the scaled progression. One thing that stops me playing is simply running out of new content, this extends that (instead of having the best gun and a concrete base with electricity on day 7)

- I like injuries more now, and the full health protection (NOTE: Physician should reduce heal time on themselves or on others they heal. This would be a SIGNIFICANT reason to take the skill, especially with 40 minute heal times on some injuries)

- Love the new textures

- Lighting is great

- Entry animations on zombies, yes yes yes

CONS

- I have no reason to leave town. The trader is here, everything I need is here. It's day 16 and I'm almost maxed out on gear and weapons. I think the game needs some sort of world events (encroaching radiation, radiation storms, etc) that make you move around. The game needs more end-game advancement that takes you out into the world. Basically the threats need to scale up in a way that they push you to new areas, or maybe places further away offer better loot or unlock more perks.

- Food and Water is still a bit dull. I think harder to craft meals need to offer some longer term protection as well as instant food. i.e. +50 food AND a 30 minute buff that reduces food loss by 75%. If a meal takes many different ingredients, it should be more valuable than just eating 5 grilled steaks.

- The trader's stock should be based on their biome. This doesn't seem to be the case right now, maybe it is, but it's not noticable. Also, their quests and stock should be based on how many traders you've reached. So you only get Tier 2 quests once you've met the second trader, 3 on the third, etc. and similar for loot. Again, more reason to travel, even if you then return home. It could even be the case that the next trader exclusively has better quests and items, but you'd eventually get a trade mission back to your original trader who then gets bumped up.

- Snow Zombies. They suck and they make the biome suck to stay in. Not even that they're hard, just that they're everywhere and there's no variation in snow zombies. Like, 50% of the snow biome is frozen lumberjacks.

- Give living in the harsher Biomes a more clear benefit, even if it's just a stacking buff while in that biome that increases over time. Maybe as simple as an XP buff for tackling a harsher environment or a buff to a specific stat (Fortitude in snow for example).

Edited by Nexian (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Nexian said:

Rather than keys, could this not track the stealth itself?

I'm not sure how in depth the game can be in this sense, but like can it see how many rooms have been entered? How many of the spawned zombies you have been close enough to for a detection check and avoided, etc. 

If it's good enough, entering these POIs could even give some HUD info on the "Loot Score" for the building, and you see it going up as you progress through either killing or avoiding combat.

I think if any keys were involved, I'd like it to be purely loot found in containers within the POI. Like "Factory Blueprints" in a factory or "Diary" in a home, and reading them in that POI increased the Loot Score on your HUD (maybe the score can exceed 100%).

It is difficult for the game to know about "rooms", it already is difficult for the game to find out if you are "inside" or "outside".

That loot score sounds very gamey.  Sorry, I would much prefer the keys, they don't seem out of place. And they can be implemented with very little additional code (especially if they store keys in boxes). And low implementation effort counts for much in this phase of the development.

2 minutes ago, meganoth said:

It is difficult for the game to know about "rooms", it already is difficult for the game to find out if you are "inside" or "outside".

That loot score sounds very gamey.  Sorry, I would much prefer the keys, they don't seem out of place. And they can be implemented with very little additional code (especially if they store keys in boxes). And low implementation effort counts for much in this phase of the development.

Maybe at least in containers only then? To preserve the idea of stealth characters not needing to kill?

Edited by Nexian (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Nexian said:

Maybe at least in containers only then? To preserve the idea of stealth characters not needing to kill?

Yes, for stealth that would be preferable. We'll have to see how they implement it, an icon that immediately shows key locations would be a whimpy half-solution, icons that only show up if you are near to the key would be much better. But I'm sure we will hear lots of players complain that they missed the icon and had to backtrack through the whole factory again.

I also would be ok with keys on zombies though if you got an icon or some other indication which one has the key. We are not talking about a pacifist playthrough, just a stealthy one.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, gwensparkle said:

I'll update on the other biomes when I finally escape the forest biome ....  please I hope they aren't overly colorful.  I want bleak and dreary somewhere in the apocalypse! 

The burnt forest is gorgeous!

;)

15 hours ago, Gazz said:

We can not do this in A19.

Later we may have this "large, high level POI" work at an elevated gamestage so that _both_ the loot and the zombies are higher level.

Why this hardcore grind lock?  Some random factor really wouldn't hurt. 

Sure, generally speaking higher level quest should spawn higher level loot. However, some lucky or unlucky moment makes for the best story

41 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Yes, for stealth that would be preferable. We'll have to see how they implement it, an icon that immediately shows key locations would be a whimpy half-solution, icons that only show up if you are near to the key would be much better. But I'm sure we will hear lots of players complain that they missed the icon and had to backtrack through the whole factory again.

I also would be ok with keys on zombies though if you got an icon or some other indication which one has the key. We are not talking about a pacifist playthrough, just a stealthy one.

I feel like just readable notes helps this. Even without a HUD value. It'd just mean they could miss things and never know they missed anything, so no backtracking

10 hours ago, KeiraR said:

I'm waiting for someone to make a base next to a trader because the wall next to it is invulnerable... If you can get all the zombies to come from that side you won horde night.

Doesn't work that way. They switch from different directions as the night goes on and if they spawn the other side of the trader they walk around it.

So I have been a huge fan of Alpha 19, and overall think its a great update, my one strange complaint is regarding the lighting:

I find the lighting at night to be too bright, which is not something I thought I would be complaining about. Now I find myself almost not needing a light source, and found the flood lights to be unnoticeable during the night. The lighter night time took away some of the games horror and base building elements. I thought the previous lighting was made torches light circles too strict, but now theres not even a need to light up the exterior of the base. 

A few minor tweak recommendations:

- Love the Blunderbuss....but is it too OP? Feel like I won the early game as soon as got one.

- Agree with others on the forum, that seeing old zombies with new zombie models can be a bit weird, but I assume that will patched with time, and really not a big deal

- Continual UX improvements needed, I still am trying to figure out how to do some basic stuff, and when onboarding friends, its usually me trying to explain how to navigate menus, or share missions, etc. 

- Found a few bugs, textures in the wasteland not properly loading, bike tipped over and would crash the game if I got on it...but thats to be expected with an unstable build. 

Larger scale recommendations

- Some kind of tutorial that you could complete, getting a little tired of running a group of friends individually how to do the basics.

- More end game content, bosses, secret labs that traders will give you that have crazy dungeons, etc. 

Overall, love 7 days to Die, and love the new update. Haven't played since Alpha 15, and glad I came back to try out the new update. Soo good! 

9 hours ago, Roland said:

The burnt forest is gorgeous!

;)

I do hope you mean this in a bleak and dreary way! 

It all does seem backward though.  I could see starting in a grim biome with the end goal to find a pleasant livable oasis (the forest biome).  I mean, why leave the idyllic setting of the forest biome once you are there  OK, I'm guessing the forced forest biome start might be related to the idea of progressing from easier to harder biomes.  Makes sense from a character leveling standpoint, but not so much from a story angle.  Hopefully the whole scheme will evolve further and bring back some randomness, at least as an option.  For as much as I grumbled to myself about being dumped in the burnt biome or wasteland to start, I now kind of miss it, lol.   

1 hour ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Been done by me before.

Yup, simple enough to do. Even if you don't get lucky with a POI with part of it's structure in the trader safe zone, you can just dig a trench all the way around the trader and hang out on the edge.

The loot system needs a overhaul again, I like their tiering from primitive, to iron to steel, the problem is quality 4-6 items drop far to often (literally every single time you open a loot container), My current game I only get qual 6 tier 1 items, but its just stupid that every single container I open has a qual 6 bow, or qual 6 scrap armor etc. Keep the tiering as it is, but make it so getting qual 4 is rare, 5 is very rare and 6 is super rare no matter how high your gamestage is, back like how it was in a18, its just far to easy to get a full set of quality 6 gear now in the game, that it removes most of the fun of looting as its too predictable now. Honestly the A18 system with just loot tiered as it is now would have been perfect, compared to how stupid the current system is with every container being guarnteed quality 6 items.

This is a double sized problem, because all the quality 6 items, means you can easly make a ton of dukes even without any barter perks. Its not a huge issue with the tier 1 items, only big seller is blunderbuss and scrap armor, but once you can get quality 6 from every container of the next tier, your going to have so many dukes you won't know what to do with them, as the quality 6 stuff drops like water does out of cupboards. Problem is even bigger if you actually invest in the barter perks. I've never had such a easy time amassing a ton of dukes like I had in a19, and thats due to all the guarnteed quality 6 items in every container.

Its really my only issue with a19, is just how stupidly easy it is to get quality 4-6 items all the time. If they set that back to a18 levels, where finding quality 4 was rare, 5 was super rare, and 6 was like being blessed by rngesus, it'd work fine. Plus it'd make crafting worthwhile, as currently I see little incentive to craft much anymore, even less than in a18 since I know i'll just get a quality 5-6 handed to me soon in a19.

Also this is beating a dead horse, but learn by doing needs to come back, but only for: weapon skills, and mining. With the weapon/mining skill levels controlling what levels of the perk you can get at Skill 1,20,40,60 and 80 for level 5.  I really hated the stupid idea of having weapons tied to stats, when half the stats are pretty much worthless in terms of what they offer besides the weapon skill. They kinda broke stealth yet again in a19 with all these stupid scripted aggro rooms, where no matter how high your stealth is, everything just gps to you the second you walk in the room, that should not exist in a game with a stealth system. Its not every poi, but there are many with rooms that fully aggro second you walk into it no matter how little noise you make. A17/18 had these rooms too, but they were not in the abundance they seem to be in now. Its pretty much made a stealth build not worth it again.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Scyris said:

The loot system needs a overhaul again...

Adding this here:

Self advertising, I know. But the extra tiers would let lower tiers be far less valuable beyond their base resource cost, lower the value of tier 6 and make selling the items themselves more of a wrench, as they are always going to be part of a larger crafting chain.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:23 PM, Gazz said:

We can not do this in A19.

Later we may have this "large, high level POI" work at an elevated gamestage so that _both_ the loot and the zombies are higher level.

I was thinking the way to do this is on a biome level.  The forest biome is Game Stage +0.  Desert and Winter are GS +20.  Burnt is ((GS + 40) x 1.1) and wastland is ((GS +60) X1.2)).  That would allow the player to dynamically manage their risk in a way that's intuitive.   As it stands there is never a reason to go outside of the forest except for oil shale.

14 hours ago, Forgotten Memes said:

I was thinking the way to do this is on a biome level.  The forest biome is Game Stage +0.  Desert and Winter are GS +20.  Burnt is ((GS + 40) x 1.1) and wastland is ((GS +60) X1.2)).  That would allow the player to dynamically manage their risk in a way that's intuitive.   As it stands there is never a reason to go outside of the forest except for oil shale.

Those Biomes definitely need something. Maybe a higher chance of certain loot types too.

For me the performance has taken a huge hit. I might wait till it's out of exp or skip A19 altogether due to how bad it is.

Also, I can't put my finger on why but to me everything looks way worse than it did in A18, with the same settings. I don't know what's wrong.

Really like the loot progression, its a little same same at the start but i think the idea behind it is spot on. Have noticed that a lot of primitive items have a generic stat rating which seems to have changed but not sure if higher levels are the same.

Can't decide whether i like the looks or not, its clearly "prettier" but i think its went a little too bright/saturated. Again its going in the right direction.

There seems to be slightly more FPS drops/lag but my system isn't the best so not sure if that is just me. Also slightly more bugs but nothing game breaking.

I think my main disappointment is that there still isn't enough to do, i find that once i have built my base and zombies aren't that threatening that there isn't really enough to keep me interested. Improving the questing system would go a huge way to improve this.

Overall i love the game, its got the potential to be my favourite game ever.

1 hour ago, Steve201188 said:

Really like the loot progression, its a little same same at the start but i think the idea behind it is spot on. Have noticed that a lot of primitive items have a generic stat rating which seems to have changed but not sure if higher levels are the same.

Can't decide whether i like the looks or not, its clearly "prettier" but i think its went a little too bright/saturated. Again its going in the right direction.

There seems to be slightly more FPS drops/lag but my system isn't the best so not sure if that is just me. Also slightly more bugs but nothing game breaking.

I think my main disappointment is that there still isn't enough to do, i find that once i have built my base and zombies aren't that threatening that there isn't really enough to keep me interested. Improving the questing system would go a huge way to improve this.

Overall i love the game, its got the potential to be my favourite game ever.

Stone age items are not randomized. That is intentional because they are very cheap to craft. Result would be that people would start by crafting multiple axes to get a better-than-average one.

On 7/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, meganoth said:

An idea that has been floated around here before and the one I think makes for the best solution is to have most of the higher tier locations have 3 variants with the final room placed in different areas in each variant.  Would not take a ton of work to make a few paths through most locations rather than just the one option.  This would not have the result of gimmicky solutions that are out of place and force you to do at least some cursory exploration to get to the final room.  Lower tier units don't really matter.  most of those are just one or 2 rooms anyway so there is no need for fancy solutions to the final stash there.

It does negate stashing the stuff on the roof but that was always a poor idea in the first place - just leads to nerdpolling to the roof.